new rear sway bar-wow what a difference!

deflanman

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I replaced the pathetic stock rear sway bar yesterday with Addco kit 493U. This is the 1 1/8' solid sway bar with urethane bushings, including the end links.
It was fairly easy to remove/replace and my MVIII now corners like it's on rails!I'd definitely recommend this upgrade if you're looking for improved handling!

At the same time I replaced the old carrier bushings (between the frame and the differential) with LMS urethane/graphite carrier bushings. This is also a fairly easy job. It took me about 3 hours to do both the sway bar and the carrier bushings. The new carrier bushings don't affect the suspension, but the driveline sure feels tighter. My Mark has 103,000 miles and the original carrier bushings were "mush."

Happy driving!

deflanman said:
I replaced the pathetic stock rear sway bar yesterday with Addco kit 493U. This is the 1 1/8' solid sway bar with urethane bushings, including the end links.
It was fairly easy to remove/replace and my MVIII now corners like it's on rails!I'd definitely recommend this upgrade if you're looking for improved handling!

Where did you get the sway bar from and how much did it cost?

deflanman said:

At the same time I replaced the old carrier bushings (between the frame and the differential) with LMS urethane/graphite carrier bushings. This is also a fairly easy job. It took me about 3 hours to do both the sway bar and the carrier bushings. The new carrier bushings don't affect the suspension, but the driveline sure feels tighter. My Mark has 103,000 miles and the original carrier bushings were "mush."

Happy driving!

Did you happen to take pics? This would make a great article for our tech section!

Jibit said:
Where did you get the sway bar from and how much did it cost?

I ordered it from an on-line distributor, Penn something-or-other. It was $163 including shipping for the complete kit with urethane bushings. Addco offers the same kit with rubber bushings for about $20 less. There are lots of suppliers for these sway bars. Just put Addco in your search engine and pick the one you like!

Joeychgo said:
Did you happen to take pics? This would make a great article for our tech section!

Joey-
No, sorry, I didn't. I had a half-day off work and I was focused on getting both of the jobs done before noon.
I can take some "after" photos, but would that be helpful?

deflanman said:
I ordered it from an on-line distributor, Penn something-or-other. It was $163 including shipping for the complete kit with urethane bushings. Addco offers the same kit with rubber bushings for about $20 less. There are lots of suppliers for these sway bars. Just put Addco in your search engine and pick the one you like!

Update: My source was PennAutoFX.com. I don't know how much less Shox.com would be, but I was satisfied with the price from PennAutoFX and the free shipping was a bonus. Plus, they were on my doorstep in like two days!

Hey, I too just ordered the 1 1/8th addco sway bar from shox.com. ($145 shipped) I think I got the urethane one?

Does the kit include all the bushings and brackets (including the bushings on those 8-inche bolts that connect to the end of the sway bar)? Did it bolt right up replacing the old one? Any tips for putting it in? Getting the broken one out was a breeze.

Unlike you I had to replace my bar because my stock one rusted through and snapped.

Ken

Any plans to do the front sway bar? I'd really be interested in hearing about both front and rear.

Members online

No members online now.
Back