New Paint ideas and suggestions?

Ling-Ling94

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 Ls, which I plan on getting repainted towards the summer after getting an LSE bumper which i dont have
:( I'm hoping to get some suggestions on here? Right now im thinking about the following:
1. Matte or gloss white
2. Matte black or slate
3. Matte or gloss blue like the 350z's used to come
4. Matte or gloss red
5. Gloss midnight blue

Also keep in mind that I will be getting black rims. Have tints, and an all black grille. Thank you so much!!

still not sure if i should wrap it, dip it, or just get it painted lol deff cant do any of the three on my own so it will be done for me. Suggestions on that would be nice also. which would cost less? last longest? etc.
are you gonna use a use a vinyl wrap or plasti dip ?

If you can afford to paint it...then by all means..

BUT, if your looking for a cheaper alternative, then the other two are the way to go... cost wise (IIRC) dip and wrap are about the same, should be able to complete both under $1K (my dip was under $700 when it was all said and done, but bought alot of extras too).

Durability - I think they're about the same, but you'll have to wait for drizzle to get some more time in on the dip...being the only one to do both. Neither of these will have the longevity of real paint. I tell people who I dip for, or that ask is that..Dip is a temporary aftermarket addition, and not a permanent fix to painting a car. It takes special care... so if thats not something you want to maintain, my just want to stick to paint.. Now that being said, my dip is as good as the day I did it. any imperfections happened when I applied, not after.

Ease - Dip is far easier to complete then wrap. 100% easier from what i understand too...

Quality- Just depends on how much effort you but into both. a good dip job will look just as good as a good wrap job.

Do some research on all three. you'll find the one that suits you.

GL

Thanks for all that information. And from what you tell me, I'd most likely just go with paint. Not that I don't maintain my vehicle, but I rather spend the money and get it done once than have to worry about getting it done again after a few years or whatever the case may be. I wanna do something once the right way and have it stay for a longggg time lol btw... I love your LS. Always have been a big fan of white cars with black rims.

prices also depend whether you do it yourself or not, im thinking of changing the color of my car too and I have been quoted 600 for a dipped car by professionals with a one year warranty , and 2000 for a vinyl wrapped car that being the car is taken apart and done correctly, when i repainted my charger midnight blue it cost about 6000 , obviously if you do it yourself you ll save a ton , i would say that vinyl has a cleaner look than plasti dip but I could be wrong , with whatever choice you go with you should have a gloss black roof to set the color combo right just a thought

6000?! Im only 19 and a full time pre law student AND have a full time job. With that being said I just don't have the time or the space to do it myself or else i would have. Even time, i can maybe manage but I dont know where i would do it. However, I am putting gloss black vinyl on my roof which i'll be doing my self. I haven't gone to any places for price quotes, but do you think that colors like black, white, or gray are generally cheaper than uncommon colors like midnight blue to get painted on?

im recently turned 20 so i get where u coming from , is ur car prepped for painting meaning sanded down , that would save you some money

How much do you expect to pay for a color change with paint? $6000 isn't unrealistic at all. There is a lot more work involved in a color change if you do it right. If you don't do it right it looks like junk when you open a door or the hood.

yessir hite is right , took them a week to finish my car up , id go with vinyl if money is as tight as it is

I was quoted ~$10K by what was then the best paint shop in town about 7 years ago. That was doing it right, removing the trim, badging (and replacing it) windows, etc. That was also for the same color. A color change would have been even more!!

Then again, these are People's Republik prices........

I asked a paint shop how much to color change my LS from pearl white to black and they said right off the bat it would be 3000 just to remove the old paint , prep work was another 2000 and the black paint was 2000 or more

I recently had my car painted. I had quotes ranging from 8-14grand. It was a color change.

Then I came across a local shop they said they would do it for 3500, but they were just going to work on it between other jobs as a project to keep them busy. At that price I couldn't resist, plus it was a bonus they said I could swing buy whenever and see the progress and be involved. It took 5 weeks. I couldn't be happier with the job they did.. And at the end the owner told me that he basically made no money but he was ok with it because he was a lincoln man himself and his crew really enjoyed working on my car.

So ask around, but don't expect to get a steal like I did. 6000 seems like a good deal from the quotes I originally got.

Wow man you got a deal, what color did they paint your car if i may ask ?

I will add...

between Dip and Wrap, It is much easier to repair any issues with dip then with wrap. Dip has products and procedures to repair issues as they come up (e.i. scratches), Wrap, all you can do is replace that panel...

is it hard to keep white plasti dip clean ? I know people have said that when they pump gas and it drips on the dip it stains it

Super easy to clean... almost easier then paint IMO (just because its flat and not gloss)

havent had that problem... Even if that were possible.. a quick shot with a shaker can would cover it right up. I havent had to touch anything up yet, but have a can of white just in case

thanks for the info , if I do mine I hope it will survive the harsh Chicago weather 0.0

I asked a paint shop how much to color change my LS from pearl white to black and they said right off the bat it would be 3000 just to remove the old paint , prep work was another 2000 and the black paint was 2000 or more

I'm a little confused as to why the origen paint would have to be removed...

any time i have seen a car repainted (either same or color change) most of the original paint was left in place. as part of the prepping process, it was sanded down a bit for a good surface for the paint to adhere to and any spots that needed work were worked, filled, and then the entire car was primed and then had color shot. seems like a waste of work to go down to pair metal unless your doing a frame off resto.

im not sure but thats what the guy said , something about having a smooth surface to prime and fixing imperfections and then painting

I havent gotten any prices quotes from anywhere and i was surprised by the 6k cause my dad has a 2009 suburban which he originally bought silver and got it repainted to black and the way it came out was perfecttttt and it only cost him 2 grand. maybe my dad just has the hookups since he's been in the "black car" business for about 15 years now has all his cars repaired at a garage in queens, ny which has its own paint shop. i might as well get it done from them lol thank you all for the replies tho :) BUT! for my main question for this thread.... what are some nice uncommon colors that would look nice on the LS?

flat green (plasti dip) andrizzle car by far most craziest but awesome color on here

this will probably be my next color

46221d1364883392-official-plasti-dip-random-chat-image.jpg

46221d1364883392-official-plasti-dip-random-chat-image.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back