New member, advice needed! engine in cosmetic upgrades!?

PhilZy84

LVC Member
Reaction score
hey guys! So I just bought a Lincoln LS v8 sport, looking to do some engine upgrades and some cosmetic upgrades, what I want to start with first is the cold air intake, I found a k&n online but I'm not sure if that's the best fit for the vehicle, it seems like the horsepower gain is just shy of 10, I wasn't sure if anybody knew of something that would get me a little more, and as far as the cosmetics, I'm seriously interested in getting a McLaren grill, and I'm not sure about how I would go about doing that, everytime I look online to try to find a site that sells McLaren grills I can never come up with anything, my car is a pearl white, I'm not sure if that's something that I can buy online matching my collor or is that something I have to myself, every time I search I just get sent to eBay, with one guy selling a used McLaren grill that's the only thing I come across, it's extremely frustrating, and clearly I'm out of my element, this is the first time I've owned a American v8 so any advice would be greatly appreciated guys, thank you!

uploadfromtaptalk1394379182168.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1394379182168.jpg

I have a 06 Pearl white so I can help you out , as far as cold air intakes people still argue whether it gives you the hp it claims , I did a custom intake on mine that cost me around 90 bucks (sounds sweet) , the most popular intakes and only intakes for the Ls are the KN 57 2562 and the polished version of that which claims half the hp gain of the 57 series , a SCT tuner is the way to increase your power a bit more , as far as a Mclaren grille , there are a couple of em selling on the forum right now if u are willing to dish out the money, otherwise you can make your own identical to it for like 30 bucks

That's awesome thanks man, do you have any pictures of your engine so I can have an idea of the custom intake?

the one with white engine cover is mine , the last pic is of the KN intake system on one of our members car

20140305_172937.jpg

20140305_172944.jpg

20140305_172951.jpg

Motor#1.jpg

Ok so on yours, what did you do? Keep the stock pipe? remove the filter box and just add the cone?

I bought a KKM adapter from a member on here , I think spectre makes a adapter for 20 bucks , and I slapped on the biggest K and N filter from my job on this , really grows for sure , I have to build a heatshield for the when the hot weather comes

Ok, so your maf is connected to the adapter? Or is it attached in front of it, I can't really tell from the pic, I think I might just go your route, most likely going to build my own

Welcome to the site. Look around a little you'd be surprised the info you can find here.

Here are 3 people selling McLaren grilles right now :

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?92778-Lincoln-LS-Goodies-Parts

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...-LSE-Fascia-amp-Side-Valences-and-Other-Stuff

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?92757-Mclaren-grille-150

If your looking for a new one well that's just not going to happen.. They only made a limited number of them and stopped selling them years ago.

Most times if you find one it needs some cosmetic work, and usually needs to be painted to match your car.
The ones above are priced right. If you see ones in good shape 300+ is what they sell for. Ones that need work sell for less.

Also this car has very limited aftermarket available.

Ok, so I have a general idea of what I'm going to do with the intake, what can you tell me about the SCT tuner what exactly does it do? and how would I go about doing something like that?

I wouldnt be the one to answer that as I dont have one , other members have used it with good success rate , I would throw that at the end of the moding list and opt for some HIDs or something cosmetic like that , led conversion is a must( reverse lights, license plate lights, interior)

Another option for the air box at no cost other than adding an K&N stock replacement air filter you can find at the top of the page under TECH ARTICLES, go to Lincoln LS and then under Modifying the Lincoln LS Air box for Improved Performance.

I have seen the red painted engine cover somewhere. :shifty:

Leds for sure , I have reverse leds, license plate leds, and high beam leds

2014-01-16 21.54.40.jpg

20140115_093850.jpg

20131224_110931.jpg

Welcome to the site, you car looks good. Like others have said, there's not much to be done with these cars except enjoy and maintain them.

I did a simple cold air setup to get rid of the noise reducers and restrictive MAF to TB pipe using stuff I had laying around the shop.
DSC01476_zpsa1ce415e.jpg

DSC01427.jpg

I also cut the bottom out of my stock air box so it could draw out of the wheel well area. I put a piece of foam between the air box and the fenderwell to keep hot engine bay air from getting to the engine.
DSC01422.jpg

I'm not a big fan of open element air cleaners hooked to metal plumbing in the engine bay as the filter just suck hot engine bay air and after the pipes heat up even with a heat shield the air is getting warmed up above ambient.

My only real recommendation is make sure your cooling system isn't losing coolant over time before throwing a lot of money at the cosmetics.

Welcome to the site, you car looks good. Like others have said, there's not much to be done with these cars except enjoy and maintain them.

I did a simple cold air setup to get rid of the noise reducers and restrictive MAF to TB pipe using stuff I had laying around the shop.
DSC01476_zpsa1ce415e.jpg

DSC01427.jpg

I also cut the bottom out of my stock air box so it could draw out of the wheel well area. I put a piece of foam between the air box and the fenderwell to keep hot engine bay air from getting to the engine.
DSC01422.jpg

I'm not a big fan of open element air cleaners hooked to metal plumbing in the engine bay as the filter just suck hot engine bay air and after the pipes heat up even with a heat shield the air is getting warmed up above ambient.

My only real recommendation is make sure your cooling system isn't losing coolant over time before throwing a lot of money at the cosmetics.

Hey man Im not really a fan of open element air cleaners either, ideally what I want to do is extend the tube and have filter near the wheel well, I wanted to keep the pipe rubber or use the stock so it wouldn't heat up as much as a metal to would, so basically you got rid of the mass airflow sensor, my question to you is if I was to do the same thing that you did cut the bottom of the box out and get rid of the mass airflow sensor how would I avoid throwing a engine light? and also I have a question about the noise restrictions? I only want the engine to sound pretty beastly, what are your suggestions on doing that?

and ghost, the ladies look pretty sweet what's the wattage on those? will let would I need any type of harness with those?

This is what my engine looks like now View attachment 828465962

Then this is what you need.......

P2152653.jpg

That's why a heat shield is used. Almost all carburetor cars had the air cleaner right on top of the carburetor sucking in real engine heat! The air isn't in the tube long enough to absorb any heat from the engine bay. The speed of the air being sucked into the engine causes it to heat up a little on it's own.

P2152653.jpg

Members online

Back