new exhaust on conti

jethro

LVC Member
Reaction score
replaced stock muffs this morning with magnaflows on the '98....left resonator and all cats in place. nearly silent at cruise, a little noise at idle, deep tone when accelerating. anyone looking for flowmaster type sound would be way disappointed, but the tone seems right for a continental. I'd ideally like a tad more noise. its less like aftermarket exhaust and more like what it shoulda sounded like from the factory. too new for any power increase statements, but the mileage is definitely improved....probably 1.5 - 2mpg over stock. in looking under the car, it doesnt look like there's any way to get true duals under there. all in all, i'm happy with the purchase.

Awsome, im planning on replacing min from the cats back.. bigger pipes, and dual flowmaster 1 in/ 2 out mufflers... Im going to get estimates soon.

I found out about my 95 continental
if i go from the catylic converters back i can get rid of the resinator
and have to pips is that true dual or now

i didnt see enough room for 2 pipes after the cats and before the Y on my 98....but exhaust pro's may be able to make it work/

i talk to someone at a custome shop they sed it could work it,s possible but im curiopus is it consider true dual if you just go from the cats back or do you have to mess with the cats also

cats #3 and 4, and the resonator are all on the single pipe between the front and rear Y's.....at least on mine. for true duals you'd have to do something with the center cats.

but as long as ther was room you wouldn,t mess up the emissions
for the state echeck right
like aslong as you put the cats back
it will pass echeck right

how big is the pipe diameter of the stock exhaust? You don't need to go true dual to get good performance....just a bigger pipe. If the stock exhaust is 2" for example, go with one 3" pipe from the headers and then split with a y-pipe into two 2.5 pipes going out. Use a single 3" Carsound cat, no resonator, and some good performance mufflers. I bet this setup would be sweet. However, it would probably be pretty loud. Flowmaster also makes a special y-connector you can use that makes more power then the stock y-pipe. Saw it in a Summit catalog............

cool sounds funn
but if they have the room under there wich i think the mechanic told me he could do
he could do true dual
and go with 2
Flow Master
what do you mean not yous a resinator

bigdog1279 said:
cool sounds funn
but if they have the room under there wich i think the mechanic told me he could do
he could do true dual
and go with 2
Flow Master
what do you mean not yous a resinator
the flowmasters work well,but if you start changing thing from the resonator forward you will not be pleased.the 4.6 is tuned for specific backpressures and as you change it the car will run worse.also there is little to no room for true duals unless you start cutting into the car or have pipes dragging the ground.also there is the prospect of the 4 o2 sensors you would have to add another cat to make it run right.

ok well i think i read somewhere about
if you yous bigger pippes you could get better power is that true

bigdog1279 said:
ok well i think i read somewhere about
if you yous bigger pippes you could get better power is that true

to a certain degree...........yes. However, you can go too big and start losing power. A little bigger than stock is a general good guess. Exhaust pipe size shifts your powerband. The smaller the pipe diameter the more low end torque you will have but the car will be choked at high rpm. The bigger the pipe the weaker the low end torque but the car will pull hard on the top end. You want an inbetween balance.

Members online

No members online now.
Back