New Exhaust, Dynomax Ultra Flo-X pics and video

MaddShadez

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I got my exhaust system installed this morning. It's a Dynomax Ultra Flo-X dual in dual out with the built in X pipe, 2.5" pipe out the back, and all stock resonators/crossovers whatever removed. I put some silverline 3.5" double walled tips at the end. I was concerned about it fitting ok, but it slides in nicely where the resonators used to be. You can see the install pics it does hang lower than the surroundings, but not by much. I shouldn't have to worry about it hitting anything, especially on my non-lowered car. One major reason i went this route was cost savings. The muffler was $110 shipped, tips $80, and $180 to install it all. The bassani mufflers alone would be nearly as much as my total install.

First impressions, this thing sounds incredible! Being my first ever exhaust, i suppose anything would sound great, but this thing really screams. At idle you can barely hear it, but at WOT its pretty loud. I gotta make sure to not step on it around my neighbors :) As for added power, I know people say exhaust doesn't add much, and my butt dyno could be doing some wishful thinking, but i have noticed when i accelerate like normal suddenly my tires spin, when they didn't before. So there's that totally unscientific review.

There is one major issue though, it has a huge drone right around 2000 RPM's. I was thinking with the built in X-pipe i wouldn't have that, but it's pretty bad. I'm considering luxury liner pro anyways, which would probably help, otherwise i'll have to look into resonators and hope they don't kill the good sounds along with the drone. Thoughts or suggestions on that?

I'll try to get better videos as time allows, the one i have was just because i was at my mom's sealing her driveway and she offered to drive it for me. She's never driven a V8 so it scared her launching a bit lol.
[video=youtube_share;DBH7DbaU45I]http://youtu.be/DBH7DbaU45I[/video]

Here's the install halfway done.

0523140913.jpg

Here's a shot at how low it hangs.

0523140918.jpg

And another angle
0523140918a.jpg

And here's how they look on the car.

0523141932.jpg

0523141932a.jpg

The tips stick out a little, i asked about making them more flush but he didn't want all that piping hot exhaust damaging the bumper.

0523141932b.jpg

0523140913.jpg

0523140918.jpg

0523140918a.jpg

0523141932.jpg

0523141932a.jpg

0523141932b.jpg

I'd be worried about bottoming out on that,
that's just me, Does sound nice for sure! +1

Yeah, damn that hangs low. Give it a few weeks, the drone might improve. When I had my exhaust done, I had some serious droning at a certain RPM as well (can't recall the #, it was something like 2500). About a month later now, I would say it has diminished.

looks good!

I also have a pretty wicked drone between 1800-2200 RPM... unfortunately, it hasn't gone away at all in two+ years.

That's sounds really good. Been thinking about adding a dual in dual out muffler to my ls because it's a little louder than most with bassanis as it sits

I really like the sound of that muffler, I am partial to center mufflers though. To help with drone you can add a second external X-pipe which will help a little or install small rear 4" round magnaflow mufflers to keep most of the sound. You will still get some but not annoying.

Thanks guys! I took some measurements, the muffler is 4 3/4" off the ground, or roughly 1 1/4" lower than anything else around it. Not ideal, but nothing I'm too concerned with. While we do have huge potholes, there aren't many speed bumps around me to bottom out on.

Toby, good eye, they are the volvo rims, albeit replicas i found on Ebay for dirt cheap. They replaced some chrome ones i had that were ruined after less than a year.

Thanks for the tips Nick, i watched plenty of your videos in trying to decide what route to take! Will an X-pipe help with drone? i thought it was more for raspiness.

Members online

No members online now.
Back