Need some opinions

L_King

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, before anyone inserts some rant about the Search tool, I used it. I have been on google and this site for hours looking this stuff up, but wanted your opinions that may have not been posted.

I have a set of the VW 19x9s I am trying to put on in the next month or so. These wheels will not be used year round, so take that in to consideration.

I need tires, and from what I have researched the best size to fit the wheel will be a 255/40-19 (an odd size)

Due to the fact my coils decided to fail, right as I am searching for tires, and getting my motorcycle back on the road money is a little tight.

I want a decent tire. I know all the big names like BF Goodrich, Bridgestone, Continental, Michelin and so on, but they are out of my price range, not to mention it seems you pay a lot for a name these days.

My questions to you all are:

-what tires are you running (size as well)?

-Reviews? Good Bad Ugly?

-Price range.

I have been searching around and looked at the Sumitomo HTR Z III, Kumho Ecstas, hankook Ventus V12 Evos, Pirelli Scorpion Verdes.

I also looked at reviews for the real cheap tires like Acceleras, Maxxis, GT-Radial, and Federals.

If any of you have input on any of these tires that would be great. I just keep hearing mixed reviews on the more decent tires and the cheapies. Like I said i'm on a budget due to current repairs and well...life haha

Thanks in advance guys.

The Sumitomo HTR Z III lasted me about six months. i researched a lot of tires and settled on riken raptors. tread wear, traction and temp rating where all very good. it is actually a Michelin tire the contact patch was about a 1/2 wider than most tires of the same size.

I want the 40 for the taller side wall.

Kracker ill check those out. Thanks for the input.

I have the Hankook Ventus V4ES on mine. They work really well when it's warm, and stick well rain or dry. When it's cold though, not so good. They thump until they warm up when the weather's cold, and it's annoying. Didn't really get a chance to drive in any snow but I can't see them doing all that great in more than an inch or two. Definitely a summer tire.

I have eibachs currently.

I can not recall at the moment his user name but he has a white LS with black jag 19s that are 9 or 9.5 and runs that size on the same springs

Me? I put my 9.5" rears up front just to test fit. Seemed to be plenty of room left between the tire and the fender, but we are talking about a 60mm offset not 38/40mm. And i never drove on them to see if there was any rubbing. Sorry :(

Oh and that was a 255/35 tire...

I have 245/40/19 Kumhos for summer tires. I had them in 20's on the Sentas and no complaints. They'll run you just under $900 shipped from tirerack.

Damn. Well I've been searching around trying to get an idea of side wall size and the general look of the various sizes but push come to shove since I don't know of anyone running a 19x9 little alone these tire sizes I am taking a risk.

Like I said I want as much sidewall as I can get to retain some sort of ride quality.

For you tire gurus I'm welcome to input.

i roll on Kumho Ecsta ASXs.

i think they have been discontinued? but the 4X's seem comparable.

235/60-16 (mark viii on stock wheels), 275/40-17 (mark viii on new wheels) and 235/50-17 (LS on stock wheels).

i like them. quiet. confident feel. not had any issues in the rain. they flat spot a little after sitting for a while in winter. not so good in snow. but that doesn't sound like an issue for you.

the price was good. cheaper than other options in the same class.

they are really wearing well on my mark, and i run it pretty hard. it usually eats front tires cuz it is a bit nose heavy. but not these.
the set we had on the LS didn't last as long. i suspect it was the alignment though, as it really chewed up the fronts..

overall, i'd buy them again for a general purpose tire.

I have nexus n5000 in the front as I was in a situation like you needed tires on a budget, on for about 9 months now no problem. 235 45 r17. They cost me 230 installed. On the back I have bf Goodrich G forces they are 245 45 r17 and had them about 2 months. I managed I pick them up for 80 a piece on a clearance deal

I have eibachs currently.

I can not recall at the moment his user name but he has a white LS with black jag 19s that are 9 or 9.5 and runs that size on the same springs

I'm sure this is possible. But I just doubt it was 255/40 that the person was running.

You'd be safe with 255/35 on 9" wide wheels all around with lowered. But IMO you may rub in front with a 255/40 and eibachs with a low offset wheel

It's all about the offset man. With such a low offset and wanting larger tires, you may rub on the fender with it lowered and all

After owning a few sets of Cheap tires on my beater, I will never buy cheap tires again.

I found a SMOKING deal on Nitto Motivos (made in the USA) for my Sentas on Ebay.

I just typed in the size I was looking for and checked listings every few days.

Ended up paying $620 SHIPPED for 4 255/35/20's..

Tires have been fantastic so far. Quiet, great grip, and seem to be wearing very well. They have a 60K treadware warranty yet don't seem hard

I run han cook on every thing i have from my 335 75 r16 on my truch to the tires on my ls
hell id put them on my harleys if thay made them

I just got 235/45 17 a week ago. Before that I had alot of vibration around 70-80mph. Replaced tie rods outer/inner, all stabilizer bar links, rear toe links , and all UCA. Ride is crisp and firm. I went with a bigger sidewall due toany potholes in the area. Tires are bfg g force btw. 500 installed and aligned.

photo2_zps896d9fee.jpg

Maybe I should play it safe and go with a 255/35-19 tire. The brand I was looking in to before has that size and it would save me some $$$

photo2_zps896d9fee.jpg

Maybe I should play it safe and go with a 255/35-19 tire. The brand I was looking in to before has that size and it would save me some $$$

I never noticed that yours look different than mine.

how so?

edit: I see yours are all silver with out the "polished" center section and lip. were yours replicas, or refinished?

how so?

edit: I see yours are all silver with out the "polished" center section and lip. were yours replicas, or refinished?

Pretty sure they made them in both styles. I've seen pics of them both ways. I believe there are replicas you can find that are 18s too.

I still think you're going to rub with a 255/anything. I ran into issues on my Sentas with 255/35/20's with rubbing at full lock and big bumps. 245/40/19 is as big as I would go personally.

Well it seems the vedict is I will more than likely rub with the 255/40-19s so it will be either the 255/35/19 or the 245/40-19. the tire I want comes in both sizes which is good.

BTW the tire I am looking at is not only the right price but has good reviews when I searched (forums and tire sites) but I know a co-worker who has them on a 350Z and loves them.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Achilles/ATR+Sport

sorry for the double posting (actually if someone wated to delete the 19 tire thread feel free) anyway this is what I found juts posted it on the wrong thread.

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
235/50-17 4.6in 13.1in 26.3in 82.5in 768 0.0%
245/40-19 3.9in 13.4in 26.7in 83.9in 755 1.8% Section Width: 9.6
255/35-19 3.5in 13.0in 26.0in 81.8in 775 -0.9% Section Width: 10

Example Bull's car with the range Rover wheels have 245/35-19s on it.
245/35-19 3.4in 12.9in 25.8in 80.9in 783 -1.9% Section Width: 9.6

So the 255 is a tad shorter than the 245 obviously due to sidewall ratio.

Based on that info and looking at what Bull runs, I think you are right that the 245/40-19 might be the way to go. My only concern is my rim is a whole inch wider and I dont really care for the stretched look and I want the protection. decisions decisions

Members online

No members online now.
Back