Need some advice on how to fix this

rsimmons1

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
The traction control button was missing when I bought the car ~ six months ago... I finally decided to check it out and as you can see the plastic is busted where the two screws are. Think I can glue it back together? If so, any suggestions on what kind?
IMAG0113_zps7d17de01.jpg

IMAG0112_zpsae7948e3.jpg

IMAG0111_zpse20d96b9.jpg

p.s. I don't smoke in the car, I just had that pack sitting there.

Yes, it can be fixed. I used JBWeld. The mounting posts are attached to the switch by the screws. Remove the screws and the posts will be loose. Money not being a concern I would purchase the new part. Check Tasca's web site (www.tascaparts.com) to see if the price is cheaper. If you do glue it be careful as there is a shoulder on top of the post that the switch slides into.

There is nothing that surrounds the switch. It sits in the opening.

Thanks, tasca has the cupholder for $91 but I'm not sure if that's all I would need.

What year & color? I could check the junkyards for you. I can get a gen 1 console for about $29. I wouldn't think a gen 2 would be much more.

Thanks, tasca has the cupholder for $91 but I'm not sure if that's all I would need.

The switch looks okay. The holder should be all you need.

If you get the new part, go ahead and reinforce it with epoxy at the mounts for the AdvanceTrac button and the e-brake button.

What year & color? I could check the junkyards for you. I can get a gen 1 console for about $29. I wouldn't think a gen 2 would be much more.

That part's the same on all gen II, all in only the one color (black). The catch for used parts like that is that they are probably broken in the same way.

Could also possibly salvage something like that from a yard nearby.
looks like the previous owner got ticked off at the Traction control and pressed once too many too hard on it.

Same fix as the Fuel button on the console that breaks for so many.

It's all you need. If you look at the bottom of the switch you can see the two posts still attached to the screws.

I'd appreciate that, it's a 2006 w/ black ink. If you frequent the junkyards I've also been looking for this trim piece :D
IMAG0114_zpsa9e8d067.jpg

The switch looks okay. The holder should be all you need.

If you get the new part, go ahead and reinforce it with epoxy at the mounts for the AdvanceTrac button and the e-brake button.

That's a good idea, I'll definitely do that.

It's all you need. If you look at the bottom of the switch you can see the two posts still attached to the screws.

Yeah you're right. Just took out the screws and posts fell off. It'll be a heck of a lot easier to glue now ;) I might as well attempt to glue it while looking for a new one.

...looks like the previous owner got ticked off at the Traction control and pressed once too many too hard on it.

Nope.
Both of mine fell in. They were hardly ever pushed, and never pushed hard. One of the e-brake switches broke apart too. The plastic cracks after the car has been out in the hot sun enough times.

Is that Gen 1 console the one With the bigger cup holders

looks like the previous owner got ticked off at the Traction control and pressed once too many too hard on it.

In the past I could see myself getting pissed behind a stupid driver and maybe slam my fist down on the button... not anymore though and definitely not with this car.

The plastic interior parts from the junkyard are as bad and brittle as the one from your car. Been there done that. Buy new, you'll just replace it again when the junkyard part fails . Wished I hadn't wasted my money the first time. Good Luck.

OP, if you havent had this same problem yet with the message center buttons, i would expect to soon.

i would just use epoxy to glue the original piece back together, the reinforce the ebrake mounts as well as joe mentioned, then also reinforce the mounts for the message center buttons while your at it.

mine all started to break one after another, first the message center, then the track control button, then while i was repairing the trac control button, i noticed that one of the ebrake mounts was starting to crumble.

I'll have to reinforce mine before it breaks, was not even aware of this problem on the LS,
did know about the Fuel message console button, which I already had to repair.

I would honestly think though despite sunlight and heat and all that it's also got to do with the fact that the button is being pressed down on, hard or soft, like the message center console, it's being pushed and it appears to be a shady design flaw.

Lol now I don't want to touch any of the message center buttons, I have a habit of pressing the fuel button every day. I'll probably just buy the new cupholder while they're still available and hopefully, after being reinforced, it'll last.

I like using clear silicone for those repairs as it'll hold well and still allow some 'flex'.

I would use ABS Cement that you can pick up at a hardware or home improvement store. It is melted ABS plastic. When the solvents evaporate all you have left is ABS plastic and holds and is strong. I use it to combine to pieces of ABS plastic and it is basically plastic welding them.

car-part.com searches multiple yards.
OP: jbweld or super glue for that button looks easy.
for the piece of your dash, what is wrong with it? just use some of that 'goof off' stuff to take that sh*t off if thats the issue

Members online

Back