Need so me career advice

topher5150

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So about a year after I graduated I got a job in the field of what I studied for, and now it feels like from one dead end to another. I've been here for three years the people here are great and the company did what they could to help out with giving me as much free time off as they could for my wife's doctor visits and surgeries, I get good benefits, and everything is pretty good, but I'm at a bit of an impass. Although I've been working here for three years I've only got one real raise when I went from hourly to salary. For the past couple of years we have been receiving cost of living raises, which really don't amount to anything. I thought about going to school for some kind on engineering degree, I think something like that is the next step up, but then they told me about the math that I would need to take, and I about had an aneurysm. I've been searching the want ads, but everyone wants years of experience, certificates, degrees....I just don't think I'm qualified to go any where else. On the bright side after a year of looking I finally was able to land a second job working weekends at a grocery store.

What are your talents?
Are you handy?
Maybe you should look at a trade like electrician, plumber, heating contractor,
carpenter or something along those lines.

We need a designer/drafter at my work, but that would require moving to south-central Pennsylvania.

For me to give you advice on what YOU should do is not something I feel comfortable doing. You can hardly go wrong furthering your education. Most jobs either want experience or education and if you don't have one then you better have the other. Having an engineering degree may not open the doors you wanted but certainly keeps plenty of them closing on you immediately. Also like 04ACTLS said, maybe a trade? I can't speak for your area but down here plumbers and electricians do very well. HVAC not so much.

if the only thing holding you back is the math...get over it, dial in and move up! there may be gov grants available to further your education. There may be better options if you relocate. I went to school and learned a new career (graduated last year). I knew I might have to relocate, thankfully i found something nearby.

If your struggling with math I would suggest you head over to www.khanacademy.org They have a great model and can start you at any level (addition to calculus). Best part is that it is all free.

I'm closer to 30 then I want to admit but I went on there to brush up on basic algebra considering I haven't used it in 14 years. Went to take a placement exam and did better then expected.

Members online

Back