Need help trouble shoot ride control puzzle

Reaction score
Purchased 1994 Lincoln three years ago and have replaced one rear suspension bag and one front suspension bag.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Issue
--------------------------------------------------------------

Began a couple weeks ago that when the car sits for the day while I'm at work, or in the garage over night, it would be bit lower in the front with the rear higher than normal. As soon as engine starts the compressor lifted car level.

Sometimes, while driving, I would hear the compressor turn on.

Last Thursday morning, the front of the car was sitting on floor with the wheel wells on top of the tires. The instrument panel blinking and buzzing to check "Ride Control." The rear is high. It has not left that position. The compressor is working like crazy but not lifting the front end.

1. Checked compressor and hose attachments all appear to be okay. But I am not a mechanic so what seems normal to me, could be a crisis to a savvy eye.

2. Tried shutting off switch in trunk and turn off car for a couple days. No change.

3. Put my code reader on the hookup inside the engine area. It states that system is okay. I have run this check each day it keeps reporting no issues.
But the "ride control" on instrument panel is still buzzing and the car is still sitting on the tires.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you search the forums?

Your issues is not unique. The answer is very simple... hell, I could have typed it in less time than it takes to type all this text.

Alas, I don't like spoonfeeding people.

"Then why did you type all that crap?" you're asking yourself, right about now...

Because I can, and because I'm an ass who doesn't like to spoonfeed people who don't help themselves first. Get over it.

Get over yourself

Alas, your negative diatribe is unique.

Before leaping to the wrong conclusion, make sure you got the facts.

I did search, and there are similar posts, there is no other post just like mine.

Given this is first venue to LVC, you have cured me of ever coming back. Rude and ignorant is not indicative of Lincoln owners.

Your issues is not unique. The answer is very simple... hell, I could have typed it in less time than it takes to type all this text.

Alas, I don't like spoonfeeding people.

"Then why did you type all that crap?" you're asking yourself, right about now...

Because I can, and because I'm an ass who doesn't like to spoonfeed people who don't help themselves first. Get over it.

i got no idea what the problem is between you two, but i have some idea about the car.

The compressor is supposed to turn on and off at any time (including when the ignition is turned off for a while.. 30 minutes or so), whenever the computer thinks that one or more of the air springs needs air. That's not a problem.

You don't need a very big air leak before that tiny compressor is unable to pump up the springs. Such a leak is likely to be found in the O-rings around the air spring solenoids (one at the top of each spring) or the rubber body of the spring itself is leaking.

While the compressor is running, get a spray bottle of soapy water and saturate the springs and the solenoids atop them . Look all the way around the springs, and watch carefully with good lighting for any bubbles..

The spring sorta folds over itself near it's bottom part. That lower, folded area is bent and flexed the most, and age, ozone or ultraviolet-light induced cracks in the rubber will most likely be found there.

---------
To put it simply, i think there's a leak and it's the front solenoid O-rings or the springs. Maybe the one you replaced is leaking.. Check both.

Front air line leaks are a remote possibility.

The rest of the "symptoms" can be written off as normal behavior. No codes.. compressor is running fine.. trunk switch is operational..

Computer is just not smart enough to turn off the overworked compressor and say "Hey.. there's a leak. Find and fix it."

DAMSEL in DISTRESS

Purchased 1994 Lincoln three years ago and have replaced one rear suspension bag and one front suspension bag.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Issue
--------------------------------------------------------------

Began a couple weeks ago that when the car sits for the day while I'm at work, or in the garage over night, it would be bit lower in the front with the rear higher than normal. As soon as engine starts the compressor lifted car level.

Sometimes, while driving, I would hear the compressor turn on.

Last Thursday morning, the front of the car was sitting on floor with the wheel wells on top of the tires. The instrument panel blinking and buzzing to check "Ride Control." The rear is high. It has not left that position. The compressor is working like crazy but not lifting the front end.

1. Checked compressor and hose attachments all appear to be okay. But I am not a mechanic so what seems normal to me, could be a crisis to a savvy eye.

2. Tried shutting off switch in trunk and turn off car for a couple days. No change.

3. Put my code reader on the hookup inside the engine area. It states that system is okay. I have run this check each day it keeps reporting no issues.
But the "ride control" on instrument panel is still buzzing and the car is still sitting on the tires.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

There are kits available $300 - 400 that include a rebuilt compressor, (more noisy than the original) air bags, and solenoid valves. The kits include instructions but if you don't want to attempt the install yourself any competent mechanic should be able to install everything in two hours or less. Having said that, I may be in error. I was talking of a Mark VII and I see that you are talking of a Mark VIII. But, I believe that there can't be much real difference in the systems. Good luck.

From reading this person's vast number of previous posts, vehicle appears to be a 94 Continental, although I'm sure the above advice applies just the same.

Be Nice Froggy Boy

Froggy boy - please try playing nice with others, especially little girls.

That was my daughter and she doesn't know the exact terminology and as you could see, like most young ladies, she turned on her heels and ran out after you insulted and embarrassed her.

This is her first car and I am trying to teach her how to troubleshoot. I recommended she come here. I had no idea she was going to encounter you. Please consider before you attack, that maybe its a young female that doesn't know as much as you.

I don't like spoonfeeding people.

Replacing the compressor to be able to run tests

Thank you for the suggestion. The poster is my young daughter. The Lincoln is her first car.

I am a Caddy man, so, I am new to the Lincoln air suspension. Can you recommend what the best repair manual is for a young lady with no experience. Like, for me, I'm not keen on Chilton. I acquired copies of a dealership's diagnostic and repair manuals.

I got her on Alldata. It said to look at the height sensor and wiring harness. Unfortunately we got to wait until next week. I had to order a new air compressor / dryor. The kid left the key in ignition on after running code tests. Battery and compressor dead next morning.

Thanks for the tip about the soapy water test.

Clyde

i

The compressor is supposed to turn on and off at any time (including when the ignition is turned off for a while.. 30 minutes or so), whenever the computer thinks that one or more of the air springs needs air. That's not a problem.

You don't need a very big air leak before that tiny compressor is unable to pump up the springs. Such a leak is likely to be found in the O-rings around the air spring solenoids (one at the top of each spring) or the rubber body of the spring itself is leaking.

While the compressor is running, get a spray bottle of soapy water and saturate the springs and the solenoids atop them . Look all the way around the springs, and watch carefully with good lighting for any bubbles..

The spring sorta folds over itself near it's bottom part. That lower, folded area is bent and flexed the most, and age, ozone or ultraviolet-light induced cracks in the rubber will most likely be found there.

---------
To put it simply, i think there's a leak and it's the front solenoid O-rings or the springs. Maybe the one you replaced is leaking.. Check both.

Front air line leaks are a remote possibility.

The rest of the "symptoms" can be written off as normal behavior. No codes.. compressor is running fine.. trunk switch is operational..

Computer is just not smart enough to turn off the overworked compressor and say "Hey.. there's a leak. Find and fix it."

Repair manuals.
In my opinion, the complete set of factory shop manuals for the model and year, including extras like vacuum and electrical diagrams as well as manual supplements (if any), are worth whatever they cost, which may be $hundreds... if they are available.
Money I've spent towards mine.. various vehicles.. has always been recovered many times over by avoiding repair bills, and they are full of otherwise useful information. Factory manuals may also be an attractive selling point.
--------
If you search this forum you'll see that I've had more than a little practice diagnosing and fixing my own air suspension system. Most of my efforts were wasted because I didn't have a clear understanding of the system. It seems a lot more complex than it is.
--------

"..when the car sits for the day while I'm at work, or in the garage over night, it would be bit lower in the front.."
Diagnosis: Definitely a minor leak.

"As soon as engine starts the compressor lifted car level."
Diagnosis: The whole system, mechanical and electrical is functional, and operating normally. Nothing's wrong with it.

"Last Thursday morning, the front of the car was sitting on floor with the wheel wells on top of the tires."
Diagnosis: The leak got worse. They do that. Alternately, the car was loaded in a different way, meaning weight was shifted around. Perhaps the trunk was emptied.

Believe it or not, when my leak got bad, and someone sat in the passenger seat my right front spring leaked so much the front end was bottoming out, and the air pump ran constantly until it overheated and shut down (it has an internal, thermal cutoff switch). Un-drivable.
For some reason, weight distribution mattered.. increasing the leak in some way. I have my suspicions why, but they're not important.

Also, if just one spring won't hold air, the front or rear (or maybe the whole car) will appear to have settled drastically.

"...blinking and buzzing to check "Ride Control."
Diagnosis: This one I am not sure of. My car is older (an '88) and the computer was not even aware my pump was running 100% of the time. I got no alarms or warnings.

I suspect that a newer vehicle has a smarter computer, or perhaps there is some sort of extra sensor or timer which can warn of a possible mechanical failure (like if the body fails to rise in a certain amount of time).

---------
I conclude that the system is functional and that the problems point to an air leak. I recommend against swapping parts in hope of getting lucky, be it height sensors or anything else.

Instead, I would thoroughly search for leaks in the front air springs and, hopefully, find them.
Do only the necessary repairs, and spend the money saved by not buying unnecessary parts on a set of factory manuals.

...I would also recommend considering swapping to coil-springs before investing in any components.

It'll be a greater one time expense, but if you're not inclined to do the suspension work yourself and perpetually run the risk of having to trouble shoot like this, it'll bring you much greater piece of mind and lower ownership costs.

I have used Eddie at American Air Suspension for the past 8 years for all of my air ride issues. I can say confidently that he's most everyone's first choice when it comes to air ride (or conversion) parts.

It does sound like a leak. Either the airbags, the o-rings, or the actual lines.
Sometimes you can hear the air leak as the system tries to inflate.

...as for manuals-
I think I know a guy who has a complete set (both books) for the 94 Mark VIII that he might sell.
I'll have to check.

ok.. here's just a little test that, to me at least, would prove without a doubt that your whole problem is only a leaking air spring.

Have someone strong.. a man.. grab the fender at the front wheel and pull the car's body upwards while the pump is working. Since you don't know which spring might be leaking, try both fenders.

If no strong man is available, use a jack, and "help" the pump lift the body.

What you're actually doing by lifting is changing the shape of the air springs.

If i'm correct, lifting the car slightly will close the leak, and the pump will pump things up to normal height, and shut off.

That was the case with my car. I could get the thing started by pulling upwards at the fender.. then the pump eventually took over.

(be forewarned that a completely empty spring may require about two minutes for pressure to build, and then it begins to lift the car)

-------
--------

Here's an explanation of why I suggest that, which need not be read or understood.. skip it if you like.

These springs are rubber, and rubber gets old and develops cracks (due to ozone, ultraviolet light or whatever..

Old rubber gets hard and stiff. Once it's stiff, if you bend it, it may crack

The bottom of the rubber spring is folded over on itself. During normal driving, only a small portion of the rubber "bag".. perhaps 3 inches of it.. is bent, or folded.

That flexing, folded part at the bottom is always under stress, and leaking cracks are most likely to develop there.. A ring shaped area.. all the way around. (That's where mine were.)

Look close. You can see a whole lot of tiny cracks. The rubber is two layers with cloth in between (I've cut a spring open) and most of these little cracks probably don't penetrate and don't leak at all.
Some may be leaking.. minor leakage is most probable, but these hairline cracks can open up and become major leakers..

The rubber near the cracked spots must be bent for the crack to open and leak. If the area is flattened out, the little cracks close. When the area bends, the cracks open up.
-------------

Now.. suppose a slight leak develops, and maybe the car goes all the way down to the suspension stops one night.

Well, an area that has probably never been flexed before gets folded 180 degrees over itself. This normally flat area is "higher up" on the spring. It is as exposed to UV and ozone as is any other part. It may well have a hard and very stiff surface, and bending even once it may crack it.

If it cracks, that crack may be severe and leak more air than the pump can handle. Lifting the body by hand flattens out that area, and closes that crack.
-------

If any of that makes sense, fine. If not, forget it.. or get down there and look at what i'm talking about.

Lincoln air bag diagnosing

Elessee;725756]Repair manuals.

Diagnosis: In my opinion, the complete set of factory shop manuals for the model and year, including extras like vacuum and electrical diagrams as well as manual supplements (if any), are worth whatever they cost, which may be $hundreds... if they are available.

:) Response: Agree. I had the OEM four-set of Chevy manuals for my Impala SS.
If Lincoln has something comparable, then it would be good, but not sure if Lincoln is a good fit for her. So far, it has been a-high-maintenance vehicle and Pops here is the old basic 8-banger with carburetor fixer. But wife and kid love the Lincoln ride.

---------

Symptom: "..when the car sits for the day while I'm at work, or in the garage over night, it would be bit lower in the front.."

Diagnosis: Definitely a minor leak.

:) Response: Have the same feeling. Replaced a rear bag and shortly afterwards a front bag. After a few months I noticed when the kid shut the door exiting the car, a soft whoosh sound as the car slightly lowered. Took to mechanic - something about a valve ... blah, blah. Fixed and it had been okay for about 15 months and then the symptoms started.

--------

Symptom: "As soon as engine starts the compressor lifted car level."

Diagnosis: The whole system, mechanical and electrical is functional, and operating normally. Nothing's wrong with it.

Symptom: "Last Thursday morning, the front of the car was sitting on floor with the wheel wells on top of the tires."

Diagnosis: The leak got worse. They do that. Alternately, the car was loaded in a different way, meaning weight was shifted around. Perhaps the trunk was emptied.
Believe it or not, when my leak got bad, and someone sat in the passenger seat my right front spring leaked so much the front end was bottoming out, and the air pump ran constantly until it overheated and shut down (it has an internal, thermal cutoff switch). Un-drivable.
For some reason, weight distribution mattered.. increasing the leak in some way. I have my suspicions why, but they're not important.
Also, if just one spring won't hold air, the front or rear (or maybe the whole car) will appear to have settled drastically.

:) Response: Interesting. I think a few days before this happened, I had her empty the trunk. She'd been driving all summer with her outdoor concert gear - folding chairs, ice chest, etc. Made her take it out and shampoo the trunk. Didn't think any of the items were that heavy, but learned something new.

-------------

Symptom: "...blinking and buzzing to check "Ride Control."

Diagnosis: This one I am not sure of. My car is older (an '88) and the computer was not even aware my pump was running 100% of the time. I got no alarms or warnings.
I suspect that a newer vehicle has a smarter computer, or perhaps there is some sort of extra sensor or timer which can warn of a possible mechanical failure (like if the body fails to rise in a certain amount of time).

:) Response: According to the Alldata diagnostic chart, it begins with the "Ride Control" warning as the condition then lists possible sources and then provides a list for action. It confirms what you're saying that the blinking words and sounds could mean the system is having trouble leveling the vehicle.
The kid's boyfriend has a Mark VII he and his friends restored. He was perplexed by system and warning system while the code reader states the car's system is okay because his car does not have that feature.
Well he had converted his air system to the coil springs and shock absorbers. When he tried to convince her to switch, she dug her heals in as did the mom. What can I say, I'm out numbered. :cool:

---------

Diagnostic: I conclude that the system is functional and that the problems point to an air leak. I recommend against swapping parts in hope of getting lucky, be it height sensors or anything else.

Instead, I would thoroughly search for leaks in the front air springs and, hopefully, find them.

Do only the necessary repairs, and spend the money saved by not buying unnecessary parts on a set of factory manuals.

:) Response: Thanks for your time and insight. Much helpful. Once I get the air compressor, and do that soapy test, I'll do it.

A little side note. I used the floor jack last Saturday lift and put passenger front side on blocks - this the bag area that I suspect is bad. I did this to get the weight off the tires. It has remained in that position and it lifted the car considerably above the wheel well. After a week, neither front nor back has lowered.

Manually lift car to assist air compressor.

ok.. here's just a little test that, to me at least, would prove without a doubt that your whole problem is only a leaking air spring.

Have someone strong.. a man.. grab the fender at the front wheel and pull the car's body upwards while the pump is working. Since you don't know which spring might be leaking, try both fenders.

If any of that makes sense, fine. If not, forget it.. or get down there and look at what i'm talking about.

:) Response: That was the first thing I had her try. I got the boyfriend on the other side and two of us could not get that thing to even budge, while the compressor was working madly.

As I stated in a previous message, I used the floor jack to lift the car to get the weight off the tires. It is on blocks now, while we wait delivery of the compressor/dryer.

I must have missed that amongst all the... confusion..

------------
Again, based on my car, which is older.. and a different model..

The dryer is an airtight, plastic container with some desiccant beads inside.
It's got an O-ring at the bottom where it screws in and more O-rings where the air lines enter. Not much can go wrong with it except a crack? Or an O-ring is leaking.
Soapy water test...

Your pump successfully raised the car not too long ago. If it's making noise, it's pumping air. That's all it ever does.

My pump was worked REAL hard. It's got an aluminum piston and cylinder.. the thing got so hot I could not touch it. SEveral times.. It overheated at least 10 times. I'm sure that at least once the piston expanded so much it froze in the cylinder. (my recollection of a thermal shutoff might be bogus.)

Anyway, as of today, the pump is functioning just fine..

I truly hate replacing parts that are not proven to be broken.. maybe it's the cheapskate in me.
-----------

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on the thread and wait for further developments.. good luck with it.

No, you didn't miss

I had responsed to your post where listed my daughter's list of symptoms and your diagnosis. In that post I mentioned about the boyfriend and I trying to lift the car. Not sure why that post has not appeared.

I'm with you on not replacing what isn't broke, or, can be repaired.

I must have missed that amongst all the... confusion..

------------
Again, based on my car, which is older.. and a different model..

The dryer is an airtight, plastic container with some desiccant beads inside.
It's got an O-ring at the bottom where it screws in and more O-rings where the air lines enter. Not much can go wrong with it except a crack? Or an O-ring is leaking.
Soapy water test...

Your pump successfully raised the car not too long ago. If it's making noise, it's pumping air. That's all it ever does.

My pump was worked REAL hard. It's got an aluminum piston and cylinder.. the thing got so hot I could not touch it. SEveral times.. It overheated at least 10 times. I'm sure that at least once the piston expanded so much it froze in the cylinder. (my recollection of a thermal shutoff might be bogus.)

Anyway, as of today, the pump is functioning just fine..

I truly hate replacing parts that are not proven to be broken.. maybe it's the cheapskate in me.
-----------

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on the thread and wait for further developments.. good luck with it.

Not necessarily, they sometimes still make noise wile not actually working.

hypostang, you're correct of course. I've been all around motors and compressors and am too familiar with them.. i expect others to be likewise.

The thing could break in any of several ways.. a rod snaps or a valve cracks.. and it might still make some kinda noise, but I think i'd notice the change in pitch when the motor is spinning free, or the lack of vibration from a disconnected piston, and one would be inclined to investigate.

From what I gather, neither this pump nor the dryer manifold was tested before new parts were ordered... and there was talk of replacing a height sensor.
I got kinda hyper about it, and started using superlatives like the word "all" and "never".

Not necessarily, they sometimes still make noise wile not actually working.

hypostang, you're correct of course. I've been all around motors and compressors and am too familiar with them.. i expect others to be likewise.

The thing could break in any of several ways.. a rod snaps or a valve cracks.. and it might still make some kinda noise, but I think i'd notice the change in pitch when the motor is spinning free, or the lack of vibration from a disconnected piston, and one would be inclined to investigate.

From what I gather, neither this pump nor the dryer manifold was tested before new parts were ordered... and there was talk of replacing a height sensor.
I got kinda hyper about it, and started using superlatives like the word "all" and "never".

LOL , no worries , I wasn't trying to correct you
I was reverting back to this being a girls first car and her lack of experience.
You or I would more than likely notice a change in the way it sounded , a newbie might not ;)

New air compressor installed - still no lift

Okay, here's the current status, and as stated before, I'm newbie to the whole Lincoln thing, especially the air ride. Trying to follow All Data.

Got the Arnott compressor and dryer yesterday.

a) Installed new one. Did not install the dryer for reasons I will explain below.

b) Compressor running non stop. Lifts Lincoln, but as soon as I shut off motor, car drops.

c) Put floor jack under Lincoln and lifted. Turned on compressor. Used the soapy water test on each bag. Determined the driver side has leak. When put my ear to that side, could hear the hiss of air escaping.

Questions

1. Is there a special tool for removing the air lines from the old dryer, and or, installing into the new dryer.

2. Was told to avoid air bags from China because they are not compatible with OEM airbags. Any recommendations of to whom to purchase from and whom to avoid, i.e., how do you determine what is a Chinese-made bag?

Last edited:
AGAIN, i want to qualify the info in this post.. my car is older and a different model.

You can hear a leak? Wow.. that's a leak. My ears aren't perfect, but that's a genuine leak if you can hear it hissing. I'm thinking some air line or something is disconnected. Perhaps a solenoid popped half-way out (There's a shoulder at the half way point preventing it from just popping out under pressure.)

But... if you used soapy water and know where the leak is, forget what I just said.

Be careful.. a leak like that might drop that car fast.

btw.. i dunno if anyone warned you already, but do not put any part of your body under that car or inside the wheel wells until it's fixed 100%. (or it's up on jackstands) I'm seriously paranoid about this after a near miss.

------------------

1. Is there a special tool for removing the air lines from the old dryer, and or, installing into the new dryer.

The nylon tube is held by tiny teeth inside the inserts, similar to lots of industrial slip-on tubing connectors. Tubing is pushed in, is grabbed, and won't pull out.

The top of the insert might have a colored plastic ring. If not, it's all-metal, but the principle is the same:

The tool (if one exists which I sure it does) pushes that ring down (without pulling on the tubing, which would only dig the teeth deeper) , bends the internal teeth away from the nylon tube, and allows the tube to slip out.

So basically, push the top of the insert down with thumb and forefinger, and then pull gently on the tubing, and eventually it'll disconnect and come out. I wouldn't worry about busting one up because I have no doubt Ford's got new inserts on the shelf (call first).

There's a tiny O-ring inside the insert.. I bought a suspension O-ring kit ($20) from Ford which included those... highly recommended that you replace any O-rings you come across during this repair job now.
---------

You can pull the inserts themselves out with a length of OLD tubing. Slip the tubing into the insert, wrap it around your fist and pull it hard (I recall grabbing the tubing with a pliers to pull inserts out of the solenoids).

This operation will very likely damage the tubing, so find a short length somewhere... i took a few feet off a car at the junk yard (plus i found air bags, solenoids, and everything else i needed.. pretty cheap too.
----------------
-----------------
2. Was told to avoid air bags from China because they are not compatible with OEM airbags. Any recommendations of to whom to purchase from and whom to avoid, i.e., how do you determine what is a Chinese-made bag?

I wouldn't concern my self with the spring's source as long as it fits the car, and the solenoids fit in the boss at the top.

It's such a simple thing.. we ain't talking precision here. Not everything from China is junk. Some is excellent, imo. I'd buy American if the prices were close, like only a $10 or $20 difference.

how do you determine what is a Chinese-made bag?
You get the original box it comes in and examine it for Made In China. Then look at the spring itself for the same notification.
I wouldn't automatically believe anyone who tells me their spring is NOT made in China. They might not know for sure. Brand name American manufacturers OWN factories in China.

---------------
One more thing.. or maybe 10 more things.
The manual instructs how to R&R the springs. There are more than a couple things to be careful about. One is to NOT put the full weight of the car on an empty (new) spring. Keep the jack under there to support the weight, and pump it up first.

Also, pre-fold the new spring properly. Sometimes, they arrive stretched straight out.
In that case, push the bottom towards the top to fold the rubber over itself. Then install it in it's cradle.
Look at an installed spring to see what I mean.

Chinese bags different dampening system

In regard to the China-made bags…. I was told by several people to not to purchase a Chinese bag if I have OEM bags on the car. Something about the Chinese bags’ damening system is not the same and has has caused issues. Told to either go 100% Chinese, or, stay OEM.

The hiss sound was not like a wind tunnel. It was soft, but I thought I was hearing it. But like I said, I’m new to Lincolns and their air suspension, so I could be full of potatoes on what I thought I heard.

As for the dryer, the good folks over at Suncore gave me a pictorial step-by-step of how to remove the air lines from the dryer. Pretty much right on with your advice, but your's adds some clarity, so thank you.

I have, however, decided this Lincoln's issues are bigger than me. I got it up on jacks to support the weight of the front end and will leave it there until I can afford to send it to a shop to replace the air bag and check the lines. I'll sleep on it over the weekend. :cool:

-----Eleese wrote:
Leak
… Perhaps a solenoid popped half-way out (There's a shoulder at the half way point preventing it from just popping out under pressure.)

------------------
dryer
The nylon tube is held by tiny teeth inside the inserts, similar to lots of industrial slip-on tubing connectors. Tubing is pushed in, is grabbed, and won't pull out.

---------
Chinese airbags

I wouldn't concern myself with the spring's source as long as it fits the car, and the solenoids fit in the boss at the top.

Last edited:
I suppose a purist would prefer that all suspension parts on all four wheels are matched.
Maybe someone determined that any Chinese spring has a different bounce than American, and that tire wears differently.. I dunno..
My car has too many miles (+250K) and is too old to concern myself with it. I match tires and shocks / struts and that's about it.
----

I don't blame you for considering taking it to a shop. The system is unusual and does seem complicated. Confidence comes only from experience, and who has the time or needs the headaches?
In reality, the system is like a magic trick or a puzzle. Once you solve it it's simplicity becomes evident.

It requires almost no tools, and a mechanic who's familiar with it should knock it out in no time.

My car's too old. Lincoln will not work on it. Replacement parts "may not" be available and if they aren't sure they can fix it, they won't even look at it.

So, it's DIY or take it to a non-Lincoln shop, where the mechanics often know less about this car and it's air-ride system than I do.

Knowledgeable Mechanics for Lincolns

Eleese, you said it all. I add this for others coming along that are in same boat.

I spent this afternoon dialing for mechanics with Lincoln Air Suspension experience with the greater Sacramento Area. I say that to put all this in perspective. This is a large metropolitan region.

Yet, I found no one that knew more than me. If this does not put a chill down your spine, then this will.

I encountered numerous techicians offering advice to switch to coil springs, while during the conversation mentioning the preponderance of car owners having their (non-Lincoln) cars converted to an air suspension system. I guess its one of those Urban Myths they heard about - many told of its tale, but none knew who was doing the conversions. :shifty:

The many Lincoln dealerships declined advising me that the Continental was discontinued in 2002 and that Lincoln no longer makes OEM parts for the 1994. When I said I had a bag from Suncore, would they install, they reacted as if I said their mother was a streetwalker. :rolleyes:

So, the only place that knows about air suspension system considers the Continental the Bastard Child at the family reunion.

As for all the non-Lincoln repair shops, no one knew, they put me hold for awhile, which I attributed to them looking up All Data, and then they either came back with the "switch to coils" or "that's really complicated and we don't do that." Even Big O and Les Schwab shy'd away from the air bag.

To all of the above, I conclude with this..... its no surprise. When I purchased my 1967 Impala SS, I encountered the same M.O. I had to do a frame up restoration. Fortunately because Chevy parts are mostly interchangeable, I was able to hunt and peck to find what I needed to keep the car original, but quickly learned that I was on my own cause the new generation of mechanics only know how to plug the car into the computer and wait to be told what to do.

So I'm going to wait for the Lincoln factory manual I purchased on Ebay to arrive and do the job myself. Pops always said, "if you want the job done right, do it yourself."

I'll keep you updated.

Towards the end of my (unsuccessful) efforts, I was tempted to switch to coil springs.. I inquired about it and was ready to pull the trigger.

Now.. I've related this experience before. I once loaded my trunk and back seat with well over 1,000 pounds of junk.. some rocks and lumber.. and hauled it to the dumps. The car road straight and level on the freeway.
Girl at the scale remarked she was surprised i packed so much into a "car". Nothing but air-springs (or shocks) is gonna allow that.

So, i sat back and thought long and hard.. and decided to keep the air suspension, and reapply myself to fixing it..

That's when I found the leak. The symptoms pointed in any and all directions, and I wasted much effort exploring the possibilities, but a simple leak was to blame.
-------

"...while during the conversation mentioning the preponderance of car owners having their (non-Lincoln) cars converted to an air suspension system. I guess its one of those Urban Myths they heard about"

nope.. no myth. Kids put these air systems on cars to make them hop up and down (or rise high and drop low). I guess hydraulics are too expensive for some. (small aircraft landing gear cylinders/valves/pumps.)
From what little I know about it, i think they include an air reservoir (high pressure tank) so lots of air is available at the push of a button. These conversions are done by car owners and local modifiers, not professional "shops". Google for info..

Coils are simple and trouble free. No more leaving the supermarket to see the front end plastics being crushed down on a tire curb... The conversion does have it's appeal.

Length of time to remove, install, close up front air bag

Got a nice surprise when I arrived home from work, tonight -- the Lincoln Factory Manual arrived.

After reading the section on installing a front air bag, I had the feeling this is no one-hour job. It also calls for special tools and hub tools that I don't have.

How do you guys install these bags on your own?

Members online

Back