need help My Horn and Steering Wheel controls dont work..

dooneybaby

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i changed all corresponding fuses.. next thing i was planning on doing is taking apart the steering wheel and cleaning it... but i dont know how to.

can anyone help?

it's the clockspring - a hub that sits under the steering wheel - at the top of the steering column - which has a ribbon cable that connects the horn, airbag and radio controls to pass from the steering column into the steering wheel and allow it to turn.

common issue with early LSes - the ribbon cable frays and your controls start acting up - or the airbag light fails on - or the horn stops working.....

a thread on the clockspring - > http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=6316

Quik LS said:
it's the clockspring - a hub that sits under the steering wheel - at the top of the steering column - which has a ribbon cable that connects the horn, airbag and radio controls to pass from the steering column into the steering wheel and allow it to turn.

common issue with early LSes - the ribbon cable frays and your controls start acting up - or the airbag light fails on - or the horn stops working.....

a thread on the clockspring - > http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=6316

thanks a lot how do i change take off the plactic horn cover part though?
and are there any pics of the clockspring? and how it should be changed?

thanks in advance

to get to the horn - you have to get the airbag off.

to get to the clockspring - you have to get the steering wheel off - with a two finger hub puller and a #50 torx. here is a guide from Ken's site http://www.lskoncepts.com/Steering Wheel Removal.pdf

the clockspring is right under the steering wheel - a couple more screws and a few hard to reach connectors and you'll have it out.

I purchased mine from Torrie @ fastpartsnetwork.com - about $96

My controls have gone crazy... the mute button is seek and the volume changes my media... is this another problem from the clockspring?? and also my cruise control doesnt work

aserrano said:
My controls have gone crazy... the mute button is seek and the volume changes my media... is this another problem from the clockspring?? and also my cruise control doesnt work

Yep - that's the clockspring too. Sounds like the same problems I had plus the airbag light flashing...

aserrano said:
I had this happen to a LS at my parents dealership and it ended up being the module itself..........not the clockspring. But first........check the fuses for the cruise control. If those are OK, then you would want to look into the clockspring given neither of your control modules are functioning properly. Who knows.........it could be a combination of the two.

Members online

No members online now.
Back