Need Help how to Remove Starter on a 97 Towncar 4.6Lt engine

97Towncar-4R70W

LVC Member
Reaction score
I will appreciate any information on how to get and remove the top 10mm bolt that holds the Starter on a 4.6 V-8 Lincoln Towncar. The other 2 bolts are reachable from underneath the car. I dont know if the top bolt could be reached with a Restricton 10mm Wrench (a curved wrench in the shape of 1/2 moon), or by other means.. because there is very little space to move any handle or wrench, or use like a series of u-joints, small extensions or what have you..I have seen some post indicating on other forums that you have to remove the exhaust "Manifold", and that by itself is a big chore, others says you need to remove the A/C Compressor, while others indicated removal of the INTAKE manifold and the wiper cowl cover? Really?
Why would Ford make such a nasty tight design on this car? After all, Starters eventually fail and needs replacement.
I am looking for an easier way to remove it than the above suggested.

I know it can be done with some u joints, extensions and wobblers. But I haven't done it
Markviiiedrea has but he's offline for 6 months
A guess would be to loosen the ac pump bolts and let it sag down enough to put in extensions.

I know it can be done with some u joints, extensions and wobblers. But I haven't done it
Markviiiedrea has but he's offline for 6 months
A guess would be to loosen the ac pump bolts and let it sag down enough to put in extensions.

Thanks for your input.. yes.. that would be a way.. the thing is how to get the tools inside that restricted area and be able to turn the handle on the wobbles?..This is killing my drive..jajaja.. will see...thus I refuse to throw down the towel.....!

Thanks for your input.. yes.. that would be a way.. the thing is how to get the tools inside that restricted area and be able to turn the handle on the wobbles?..This is killing my drive..jajaja.. will see...thus I refuse to throw down the towel.....!

OK.. so I went back to my garage with a new attitude to never give-up and after several different attempts, I was able to resolve and pulled out that Starter 3rd bolt. This was How:
Assembled two- 3/8" extensions + 1- 10mm 6 side socket adding 6" in total lenght. I inserted the first 2 parts (socket + extension=5") with my bare fingers, once the socket was firmly engaged into the head of the Starter 10mm top bolt, then I added the 3/8" x 1" short extension, thus now I am at 6", then inserted the 3/8" Ratchet and pry hard to loosen up the Top Starter Bolt that was frozen, but by adding another wrench to the handle of the Ratchet, was able to use it as a lever and broke the bond and the Starter Bolt gave after producing a little "Boom" explosion when it went loose.
This made my day and make me a Happy Camper. See photos. IMG_4979.jpgIMG_4981.jpg

By the way.. I first disconnected the negative battery terminal, then both starter cables. using a 13mm wrench on the red cable 12+V cable and a 10mm wrench on the nut of the starter Ignition selenoid. So you need to remove that wire harness away from obstructing the following removal procedures

IMG_4979.jpg

IMG_4981.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Back