Narrow tires Better or Worse ?

Crownvic

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if the following tires would be better or worst than stock, in the same brand and rating:

P 205 / 55 R 16

P 225 / 60 R 16 is the original specs

Thanks for telling me if it would fit and whether you expect it might have some issues in terms of handling?

Cheers,

Vic

I do believe they will fit fine and you can do it....

Downsides:

The spedometer will be off by 6.6%. In other words when you read 60 MPH on it you'll actually be traveling 56.1 mph. This will also cause your odometer to turn faster as well.

As far as handling you will definitely lose out in that department. It won't be undrivable but it won't be as good as the 225s. It might be better in the rain and certainly in the snow.

I think I would only do this if the tires were free and the car was a beater that I didn't care about handling. I certainly would not buy this as a replacement if I were you.

brentalan said:
I think I would only do this if the tires were free and the car was a beater that I didn't care about handling. I certainly would not buy this as a replacement if I were you.

Hi Brentalan,

Many thanks for giving me the verdict. I didn't realize that size made such a difference, I thought it was mostly tread pattern and rubber composition.

So I'll pass on those, and find some that may cost more but fit the task.

Thx.

Vic

yes it does that's why folks will even upgrade over that. I had 225s on my Mark VIII stock and I upgraded to 275 and the handling improved drastically.

Members online

No members online now.
Back