Name that sound

L_King

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Had this whine/whistle for about 6 months give or take. I have tried to find the source with no luck so far. I can hear it when I rev it and even more so when driving. Goes with the RMS but is most audible between 2200 and 3000 rpms.
It is definitely coming from the engine bay and it seems from towards the top. Sounds something like a supercharger. Want to find it before a bigger issue arises. Here is a vid. I'll try to get a better one this weekend.
http://youtu.be/8VkIMgFq55U

Either serpentine belt, idler pulley or belt tensioner. Replaced all 3 of those at the same time on mine and fixed the issue not sure so can't really tell you which of the 3. (Also replaced AC compressor at the time, but highly doubt its related).

Mine seemed to be bit a worse than yours is now (listen between 1:11-1:18):
[video=youtube;oDxv8pnrlDI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDxv8pnrlDI[/video]

Ya similar sound to that. I have a newer belt (maybe 8 months or so old) it doesn't seem to come from the tensioner or idler from what I can tell. BUT now you mention the AC compressor. I noticed a little leak from it. Maybe it is it.

Ya similar sound to that. I have a newer belt (maybe 8 months or so old) it doesn't seem to come from the tensioner or idler from what I can tell. BUT now you mention the AC compressor. I noticed a little leak from it. Maybe it is it.

wow well kick me in the aZZ. That may very well be it then. I replaced mine because it had a small leak as well.

I'm going to a friends with a lift next week to take a deeper look. I just wanted to see if you all had any ideas I may have overlooked.

Take belt off, start car, rev it up, if you hear no whining then it's something the belt is driving. Mine has a small driveline whine but I just put up with it. It's cheaper then changing all the running gear behind the transmission :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back