my rubix cube build thread

zmt325

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
the car is a 95 with a bad engine, kooks, sct chip, under drives, 900 maf, cold air box, bbk fpr, and a few other things gears, Auburn locker, 255 walbro ect ect. it may have some cams. i got it to run and I could almost swear it was loping. (and well.... knocking) the p.o. was well... frustrated with it. he actually said "good riddance you fuggin b!tch" just before we left. i will get into that more as the build progresses.
picked it up for $650 solid car black on black base, no roof,no rust and 200k on car .
015.jpg

009-2.jpg

i have purchased a 96-98 cobra upper and lower with the rail, throttle cable, cruise cable, brackets for throttle + cruise cables, throttle body, 5/16 fuel line and some fuel line connectors.
005-5.jpg

006-4.jpg

the reason for the cobra intake, once i finish this part of the project, i want a vortec or procharger within the next year. then use the original block for a forged build and turn up the boost within the next year or 2.

next week i am picking up a totaled 1998 mark with 80k, p.o. is keeping the trans :( but it will have the cop stuff and plastic imrcs and everything else under the hood

I am wanting to do a cobra intake conversion, cop conversion, egr delete, with a second gen motor in a 1st gen car, all at once.:eek:. now that is a rubix cube to me.:eek:

I know am in over my head, but i have been here before, things turned out ok last time. i have another mark to drive while i build this one. i want this stage of the build to be a 3 mo max project and i need help.

i have read through each one of the links on this thread like 3 or 4 times
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=45118

I have not found a good thread on the cop conversion yet, i have been busy at work, haven't had the time to do a proper search. will be reading up on it this weekend.

any one with any advice on how to make the imrcs work, what electrical connectors i need, what cars i can find them on and how in the hell to wire it all up would be much appreciated. :D i do have a spare harness to chop on for the swap plus the obd2 harness from the parts car.

should be one bad ass lil girl when i am done...:cool:

the project should start in about a mo. i have a few bugs to squash in my 93 so it can become a problem free minty dd

I am wanting to do a cobra intake conversion, cop conversion, egr delete, with a second gen motor in a 1st gen car, all at once.:eek:. now that is a rubix cube to me.:eek:

The worst thing about mass upgrades like this is the small problems that tend to come up afterwards. You almost don't know which mod is the blame. :shifty:

Good luck with the project! Looks like a good one!! :)

The worst thing about mass upgrades like this is the small problems that tend to come up afterwards. You almost don't know which mod is the blame. :shifty:

Good luck with the project! Looks like a good one!! :)

Thank you
it will be a monster. (eventually)

How would you do it? . i have been rolling this around in my head for the last few days.
the engine has to be swapped first and foremost. i am thinking about getting it running with the 2 coil set up first. and first gen intake and imrc. it will give me time to powder coat some things first. then do the cop swap. and just waiting until i at least have a sc head unit before attacking the cobra intake swap, as i think it will be the hardest part. i will just have to swallow the whole 2 sets of gaskets thing.
if i went with a supercharger would it be advised to just delete the imrc setup all together? that would save me half the cobra swap battle imho.

any advice is much appreciated.

How would you do it? . i have been rolling this around in my head for the last few days.
the engine has to be swapped first and foremost. i am thinking about getting it running with the 2 coil set up first. and first gen intake and imrc.

That seems to be the first logical step. May as well delete the EGR while you're at this step.

But then I would be sure to get any bugs worked out and all tuning issues (if any) resolved before moving on.

I would then do the COP conversion.

Last would be the Cobra intake.

Meanwhile, build the shortblock of your dreams with the SC as your defining goals. ;)

That seems to be the first logical step. May as well delete the EGR while you're at this step.

But then I would be sure to get any bugs worked out and all tuning issues (if any) resolved before moving on.

I would then do the COP conversion.

Last would be the Cobra intake.

Meanwhile, build the shortblock of your dreams with the SC as your defining goals. ;)

:) sounds like a plan. thank you for the advice. what is your opinion on the imrc delete when supercharging?

... what is your opinion on the imrc delete when supercharging?

I don't have any personal experience with this, but it seems most people with street/strip SC setups leave the IMRCs functional, especially with centrifugals. The boost will more than make up for any disparities due to the IMRCs anyways.

looks like there is going to be a 98 trans going in as well and the re pin for the swap. cadillacman let me have the trans with everything to do the jmod as well with the totaled out car. 80k actually on it. $400 for car minus interior and the front end is SMASHED!!!!

if anyone ever needs to know cadillacman is one solid dude!!!!!!

parts car finally home

pictures speak 1000 words. 65k on the white car and it came with a Ed Hall special on the back.

627.jpg

629.jpg

632.jpg

635.jpg

643.jpg

623.jpg

it is :q:q:q:qing on now...

i like it like this, it just looks prettier. you should have seen the girls face when i handed her the $10,000 check and said "I just need to cash a check"

samsunginstinctphotos031.jpg

that was a while ago but i think that was like 8,000 or 12,000

and this is a different 10k
003-4.jpg

gawd i love money

Before you put the Cobra intake on, if you are interested in doing some minor porting on the lower plenum, you can do so with a simple dremel. Shave back the casting around the runners.

Before:Cobra Lower.jpg
After: Cobra Lower 2.jpg

Sorry for the crappy picture quality.

If you do that around all of the runners on the lower plenum, it does seem to open it up quite a bit. I don't know if it helped or not, but I figured, more volume and less turbulence is better. :)

Cobra Lower 2.jpg

Cobra Lower.jpg

Before you put the Cobra intake on, if you are interested in doing some minor porting on the lower plenum, you can do so with a simple dremel. Shave back the casting around the runners.

Before:View attachment 65625
After: View attachment 65624

Sorry for the crappy picture quality.

If you do that around all of the runners on the lower plenum, it does seem to open it up quite a bit. I don't know if it helped or not, but I figured, more volume and less turbulence is better. :)

thank you and will do. I am going to leave the intake gen 1 until I supercharge. i will have plenty of evenings to play with it.

thank you and will do. I am going to leave the intake gen 1 until I supercharge. i will have plenty of evenings to play with it.

Yeah, I wish the stock intake was that good on the Gen2s. :p

Anyhow, if you are going supercharged eventually I know some guys have done a "short-runner" intake setup with the Cobra intake which actually involves cutting the runners. Maybe ask around on here or do a little searching as I don't know the exact procedure for that. It is a little in-depth but will bump up your torque and horsepower curves. Another idea is deleting the IMRCs. Both of these things are two things I would definitely consider if you are going to go boosted.

The IMRC deletes are one of those things that you don't want to do unless you have gears and a stall to make up for the lower-end torque loss. Same goes for the short-runner setup although I wouldn't consider a drastic intake modification like that unless I was boosted anyways. With a blower, it's a whole different story though and these two modifications will help you rather than hurt you.

I'm on the fence myself about the IMRC deletes as are others on here when it comes to NA vs. boosted and the proper time when that modification becomes applicable. Some say don't do it unless you are boosted. "DLF" has done the IMRC deletes on his car. It is NA with no power-adder and he has had no ill-effects and is also the fastest NA Gen2 you will find anywhere. The goal of the IMRC deletes is just like the short-runner setup. The goal is a boost in high-end power.

Good luck with the project! :)

Why not go to Mach1/Marauder heads and intake right out of the gate. You will have more choices later. I would also better prep your tranny now while it is out of the car. Its going to need better clutches and input/output shafts, etc and another TC. Just my $.02.

i like it like this, it just looks prettier. you should have seen the girls face when i handed her the $10,000 check and said "I just need to cash a check"

samsunginstinctphotos031.jpg

that was a while ago but i think that was like 8,000 or 12,000

and this is a different 10k
003-4.jpg

gawd i love money
I have a pretty good 401k going on right now

Why not go to Mach1/Marauder heads and intake right out of the gate. You will have more choices later. I would also better prep your tranny now while it is out of the car. Its going to need better clutches and input/output shafts, etc and another TC. Just my $.02.

the trans is a 98 with 65k. i am looking at 3500 stall. only 3.73s though i am going to dd it.

check this out
http://nashville.craigslist.org/pts/2656221264.html

sell the 60k motor and kooks.$1000 then c head it???????????:confused: hmmm

anyone know about these guys
http://www.converter.com/stallion.htm

found one used multi disk for $500 one restall left

I would never install a used TC in a setup that I just spent a lot of money on, you don't know where its been, or whats left in it.

The used stuff sounds tempting, but I notice there is something built up on the edges and I wonder if the SC got overheated and melted the edges of the impellers. I would plan on sending the unit out for a check up at KB. The intake also didn't look like it had an inter cooler either, which you may want for the elevated boost levels and HP. I would check all this out carefully.

I would never install a used TC in a setup that I just spent a lot of money on, you don't know where its been, or whats left in it.

The used stuff sounds tempting, but I notice there is something built up on the edges and I wonder if the SC got overheated and melted the edges of the impellers. I would plan on sending the unit out for a check up at KB. The intake also didn't look like it had an inter cooler either, which you may want for the elevated boost levels and HP. I would check all this out carefully.

yeah i just spent 30 min looking at his add. decided i am out

I'll race you to see who gets their build done first :D

you will win. mine will probably never end. :L

and i am building two. the black one is on the back burner again

Last edited:
to date acquisitions
kooks, under drive pulleys,adjustable fpf, oversized maf, cai, cobra intake, 3.73s with tl, everything to jmod the 98 trans, new set of zr rated tires, donor car 1998 with 60k, new battery, remote starter and alarm, addco f+r 1.25 sways $1100 worth of mooge front end stuff, paint supplies and body supplies. set of directionals and 2 doughnut spare tires,the car has less than 10k on the compressor and bags, I will think or more

needs
stall. not some cheap pos something quality.
supercharger. would like a centrifugal style ie vortech procharger ect ect
double din nav unit.
drivers door panel
fluids
one pc drive shaft. holding off on this until i an 100% sure on the 5speed or auto and would sell my 98 trans if i could find a tremmec 3650 on the cheap.

and
bought 4 cars to flip for profit.

Members online

No members online now.
Back