My HID Hi-Beam and Fog Install

jmtiseo

The Peanut Gallery
Reaction score
Well I've been waiting to do this for quite some time but I finally made the purchase of my HID sets. Hope this doesn't turn into one of those impulse buys I later regret. Any way here are the details.

I've been researching for the past 2-3 weeks on aftermarket HID kits and I ended up ordering my stuff from The Retrofit Source. I didn't want to try the DDM kits as I've read that they're hit and miss online, around here though they've been pretty good it seems. A friend of mine who did a bi-xenon projector install on his Cobalt also recommended this site so I'm feeling pretty confident with them so far. His install is seemingly perfect.

We all have heard enough about glare created by putting HIDs in halogen housings; I don't plan on driving with my brights on during rush hour so I think I'll be ok. The fogs are low enough and not in the drivers direct line of vision so I'm thinking I'm safe there as well. Anyways, I'm trying to color match my hi-beams and fogs to the factory HID. For starters, I increased my D2R bulbs color temp to 6000K from the OEM 4300K. The bulbs I'm using are special order, don't let it fool you I just contacted them asking if they had any, from The Retrofit Source. They are Morimoto D2R 6000K Bulbs and they cost me $45/pair compared to roughly $180/pair for Philips D2Rs. Also, it's very hard to get a Philips D2R bulb in anything above 4300k. From what it looks like you have to get them from the Japan Amazon.com. A lot of the bulbs out there are big fat phonies (Family Guy Reference).

Next up were the equipment for the Hi-Beams. I pretty much ordered this set, but it's broken up on my invoice due to the special order. 9005 Morimoto Elite HID System with 6000K 9005 bulbs, the 9005 wire harness, and the heavy duty relay harness type. It was suggested to use the heavy duty relay to eliminate potential problems. The relay is directly powered by the battery as opposed to the Canbus system and the relay is switched from the stock headlight system. I'm hoping that I got the correct harness to eliminate any potential problems as suggested by the folks at Retrofit.

I purchased the same kit for my fogs but instead of a 9005 bulb and wire harness I'm using the H10/9145 bulb and wire harness. The bulb and wire harnesses are the direct replacements, I'm not "Retrofitting" anything except the location of these ballasts. Which brings me to my next point.

A quick look beneath the hood of my car and it looks as if I'm going to have a bit of a hard time finding a place to mount 4 HID ballasts that are not "slim" design. I'd like them inside the engine bay to avoid most of the weather, but then heat is a concern. Will have to decide later. The installation of the above equipment, minus the D2R bulbs is probably going to have to wait until my next trek home as I'm not about to accomplish this in the comfort of the garage I'm renting with my apartment.

Will have updates when they become available. I should have the 6000K bulbs as soon as Thursday next week.

Does this all sound crazy or what? Am I going to end up returning half this stuff? This is a big leap for me in terms of modifications here.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the knowledge that you guys have bestowed upon this young pup.

Last edited:
Seems like you really did your home-work on this, and im def looking forward to see the final product.

Sounds good. The only way to learn and to see if it'll work or not is to try it. Sounds like you have a good initial plan, good luck.

When my lows die, I'll replace them with the OSRAM Xenarc Cool Blue 5000K D2R bulbs. Excellent bulbs according to reviews out there.

Looking forward to your setup. I have been debating getting a HID kit for my fogs for a while, but have been discouraged by awful Chinese products.

I'm a fan of radical or gnarly ideas. Just wanted a little feedback before I got started because this doesn't sound like the most common of mods on here to do the whole shebang at once but as mentioned anything is possible.

As far as homework goes, I do more research about cars and personal health than I do real homework or research at work it seems.

Bestowed upon me is a mere coincidence, I don't remember seeing Barbershop 2. It's not the first time though someone asked me if I got an odd saying from a movie.

I've read up on those a little bit and for a direct replacement those look like the highest quality next to the Philips. It's just hard to spend top dollar on something when there is such a cheap alternative. I'm hoping I found the happy medium. I wanted all the same color temp from the same company to keep it consistent.

When my lows die, I'll replace them with the OSRAM Xenarc Cool Blue 5000K D2R bulbs. Excellent bulbs according to reviews out there.

Looking forward to your setup. I have been debating getting a HID kit for my fogs for a while, but have been discouraged by awful Chinese products.

$125 a bulb is pricey. Just looked at them after reading your post.

Really didn't pay attention. I guess this Ciroc vodka is messing with my reading, lol.

I'd really love to see some of those Morimoto bi-xenons in an LSE round style foggy hole. I remember reading someone is trying that. Would look pretty boss

Idk, I don't like to deal with foggy holes. Wait that's the Dripa and Honey speaking! Wait what?

But cereally, I'm not about to tackle a bi-xenon. This is my first rodeo here.

Also, yes I'm trying to put HID's in my hi-beams. Is there an issue with this or were you asking for clarification? The 9005 bulbs are on backorder but everything else is as good as shipped. Should have everything including backordered items by the end of the month.

I'd really love to see some of those Morimoto bi-xenons in an LSE round style foggy hole. I remember reading someone is trying that. Would look pretty boss

I got plans, but so does the IRS. Have to get them straight first.

I wasn't planning on doing the fog's as it just seems too low to the ground. Plus I don't think they are waterproof which is another thing to consider. I was considering doing a quad bi-xenon conversion with the low and high. And then color matching the fogs with LED bulbs (if any of them last).

I guess if you want and have the money, you could do an octal bi-xenon conversion. Not too sure how that would look though.

Their is probably no comparison in performance to quad bi-xenons on the front of these cars for directed light output. The only thing I'd worry about then is ruining the look of the LS. I see some cars where projectors just don't look right ya know?

Maybe with all four of the reflector housing were replaced with projectors but this one example is looking funky. Not the good funky either.

IMG_1780.gif

Idk, I don't like to deal with foggy holes. Wait that's the Dripa and Honey speaking! Wait what?

But cereally, I'm not about to tackle a bi-xenon. This is my first rodeo here.

Also, yes I'm trying to put HID's in my hi-beams. Is there an issue with this or were you asking for clarification? The 9005 bulbs are on backorder but everything else is as good as shipped. Should have everything including backordered items by the end of the month.
HID's take a few seconds (mine take 10 or so) to come up to full brightness, so they would not be at 100% efficiency immediately after being flipped on. Also, switching a HID system on and off can shorten the life of the ballast.

I would just switch the hi-beam bulbs to an H-9 and call it a day. Here's a post from another forum on performing the swap: http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?

Andy

I'm not concerned with flipping them on and off (flash the brights) as I intend to use them to show "hey all my lights match" and on the back roads where the dark is blacker than the blackest black. These ballasts have a five year warranty under normal use, I don't expect them to be used on the daily like lo-beams.

I don't want to do to much work to it. As crazy as it sounds I want it to be able to go to stock if I wanted to in the future.

I can't wait to see the finish product. This will also be good for when some jackwagon cuts you off. Light his butt up and blind him through his rear view.

I can't wait to see the finish product. This will also be good for when some jackwagon cuts you off. Light his butt up and blind him through his rear view.

Haha, i thought about adding a switchfor my reverse lights for a similar reason. People sometimes like to ride to close on my bumper. I cant just get out and get my n***a be cool stick, so i would just turn on my mothaf***@ gettin' blinded reverse lights :D:p:shifty:

I'm not concerned with flipping them on and off (flash the brights) as I intend to use them to show "hey all my lights match" and on the back roads where the dark is blacker than the blackest black. These ballasts have a five year warranty under normal use, I don't expect them to be used on the daily like lo-beams. I don't want to do to much work to it. As crazy as it sounds I want it to be able to go to stock if I wanted to in the future.

Well obviously it's your car, and your choice but:

1) Nobody should really see your brights if you're using them when you're supposed to. :p (I hate the yellowish-looking hi-beams, too, but I've read that the H-9's are whiter, especially NARVA's.)

2) Back roads: All the more reason to use halogens..... so when you need the light, it is there instantly, not five or 10 seconds after "that-might-be-a-deer-but-I'm-not-sure-better-hit-my-high-beams-oh-$hit-that-is-a-THUMP!"

3) Hours running is only one part of the equation. On/off cycles are much harder on HID's than tungsten filaments, and hi-beams are switched on/off much more often and more quickly.

4) H-9's would be a LOT less work than the HID's(?)

5) H-9's could be considered "stock."

Andy

Thanks for your input!

The only back road driving I have is when I visit home and I decide to venture out to Almont's finest drinking establishments. Starting to sound like this is more for the show factor although this is no show car. Even when I do drive at night with no one around I tend to leave my hi's off :/.

The idea of HID's have been ingrained in my head due to inception and I'm afraid to say there is no turning back and the multiple people who planted the idea are getting paid. I mean I just told my roommate today that it gives me something to do besides work and workout.

Anyways, the shipment came in it's all coming together.

Everything that came in today. Waiting on the 9005 Hi-Beam bulbs. Were on backorder and shipped today, expecting them Monday at the latest. Should have the D2R's in this weekend, tomorrow at the earliest if I take a day off from the gym.

From The Retrofit Source:
  • 4 - Morimoto 3Five HID Ballasts. Sticky note is 2" x 2" for comparison, the ballast is about an inch thick. Comes with mounting hardware. Not much to see with a close up shot. Believe the cases are made of aluminum.
    DSCN0643.jpg

DSCN0644.jpg

• 2 - "Heavy Duty" Relay Harnesses (1 - H10/9145, 1 - 9005).
    DSCN0645.jpg

DSCN0646.jpg

• 2 - Morimoto 6000k D2R Bulbs (Lo-Beams). Will have a comparison and close ups to my Phillips bulbs that I'm currently running. First impression is that these are looking pretty good. Only issue is that I read that 6000k bulbs should have a red salt in them??? I'm not sure but these have no hint of red in them we shall see.
    IMAG0225.jpg

• 2 - Morimoto 6000k 9005 Bulbs (Hi-Beams)
  • 2 - Morimoto 6000k H10/9145 Bulbs (Fog Lights)
  • Alcohol prep pads, business cards, vinyl sicker (slappin' it on the rear window), and a sorta welcome letter from them.
    DSCN0641.jpg

From Stealth Auto (Unrelated to this project):

• Pair of #3157 Stealth Bulbs for rear tail lights.
DSCN0647.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back