my battery is dead again

04lincolnls

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Well my battery is dead im gettn frustraited here and a bit overwhelmed. its drawin power somewhere im thinkin. had this problem last week, put a new battery in and thought it was solved even checked the new batt with a fluke meter to make sure it was holding the charge and it was doin well for the whole work week now dead again. I have been getting this audible poping sound jus once when the key is powered off or on that goes over the car speakers. I have the factory touch screen deck but it bearly works any more , only if you have the volume set to real low when you turn it up it just goes quiet. had aftermarket subs an amps in there sometime ago was thinkn mayb i fryed a wire behind the deck or something that mayb could account for the loss of power an the poping sound ..i pulled two fuses that go to the radio from the fuse bay on the passenger side floor but the radio still works wth is there a main some where else idk . anybody got any ideas for a guy . i need this car to be dependable thanks

Check if the factory speaker amp is still running once the car is off. Sounds like it may be faulty.

it is in the trunk behind the driver's side carpet.

ok i just unplugged it , no popping sound now . i cranked the radio without the amp it sounded bad but it was loud then plugged the amp in it sounded strong for a second then lost volume . I think your on to something thank you. im just wondren how to check it for power when the car is off . do you know which wire harness coming in is from the power well i can just follow the wires . if i stick a fluke meter in the speaker side that should tell me shouldnt it?

Yea your amp is either faulted, or has some bad connection. It is cutting out because it is clipping. Because of the popping, I would say it could be a bad ground. You can try running a second ground from the factory harness into the amp and ground to the trunk back there and see if it solves anything.

But since there is a power drain somewhere, I am betting that it has to do with that amp not turning off. You should be able to feel it warm if it is full blown on, but it may just be a trickle or something.

You may be able to see the draw @ the battery - not sure how strong it is though since you said it took weeks?

Test the rested voltage @ the battery once the car has been sitting a while. Then unplug the speaker amp and check the voltage again.

And I'm not sure about the speaker lead testing, the draw could be very minimal.

on my mark viii, you turn everything off and put an ammeter in between the battery and positive battery cable and check the amp draw. be careful, cuz if the lights turn on or something, it might fry the meter. if its more than like a tenth of an amp, you start pulling fuses until you see a significant drop. and your power leak is on that circuit. that will point you in the right direction.

Members online

No members online now.
Back