Motorcraft to Mobil 1

Beamer

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well ever since I got my LS I've been using motorcraft 5w-20 and everything the manual tells you to when doing maintaince. Recently I got thinking about switching to Mobil 1 because I've heard its good stuff and I want to see if it makes the car run better, my only ? is well there be any problems by doing this?

Beamer said:
Well ever since I got my LS I've been using motorcraft 5w-20 and everything the manual tells you to when doing maintaince. Recently I got thinking about switching to Mobil 1 because I've heard its good stuff and I want to see if it makes the car run better, my only ? is well there be any problems by doing this?
No problems by switching to Mobil 1. As soon as I bought my LS, I put Mobil 1 in. Rumor is.........don't switch back to reg. oil after using synthetic.......that would be the only problem (i don't know where I heard that so I could be wrong).

I've heard that as well. Last time I changed my oil in my Mark I used Mobil 1 5w30 and have had no problems.

Mobil 1 is an excellent oil. But are you using the synthetic blend Motorcraft? I'll bet you are. In that case, I would be amazed if you see any difference whatsoever...except for a lighter wallet. I have used both brands and have never seen a difference. If you're racing your car, it is possible you could see slightly lower oil temps...but even that would be insignificant since the Motorcraft is also synthetic.

I have used Mobil 1 since 1980 in most of my vehicles and small engines.

YOu can switch back and forth between syn and dino oil with no problems. Way back in the 80s there were some possible problems but that has since been fixed. Most people don't recommend switching back and forth from syn and dino or even between brands, but technically you can swithc. Also technically you will get the best results by sticking with one brand/oil type since the additive packages differ between brands.

Motorcraft blend is supposed to be an excellent blend, and of course is recommended by Ford. YOu won't go wrong with syn, Motorcraft or any good dino that meets Ford Spec.

More important than what brand oil, is that you change regularly.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Yea, I change every 3 months, do not come close to the 3,000 mark even though most oils can go beyond that. I may just stick w/ Motorcraft than because I don't like switching oils. I was just thinking about it, sometimes the car seems to be running rough but not really, hard to explain but any person in-tune w/ their car probably knows what I mean.

Jim Henderson said:
I have used Mobil 1 since 1980 in most of my vehicles and small engines.

YOu can switch back and forth between syn and dino oil with no problems. Way back in the 80s there were some possible problems but that has since been fixed. Most people don't recommend switching back and forth from syn and dino or even between brands, but technically you can swithc. Also technically you will get the best results by sticking with one brand/oil type since the additive packages differ between brands.

Motorcraft blend is supposed to be an excellent blend, and of course is recommended by Ford. YOu won't go wrong with syn, Motorcraft or any good dino that meets Ford Spec.

More important than what brand oil, is that you change regularly.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Very well said!

Members online

No members online now.
Back