moon roof jams?

Jibit

Dearly Departed Friend
Reaction score
The moon roof on my car will go up (tilt up), come back down but when I push the button to open it completely the window drops down a little and then gets stuck. I'm assuming its getting stuck. I don't think its the motor because it would make no sense for it to go up and come down and even attempt to open. Does anyone have any diagrams so that I can see if its jammed or if something may be in the path of the rail? I'm afraid to start tearing it apart without knowing where to start.

I would start with some WD-40. I had the same thing happen with my sunroof when I got it. It didn't want to open up. I gave it a push with the button pressed and it broke free, but it would hang up at the same spot every time. After running it a bit and liberal use of WD-40 on the runners it moves smoothly now. You might just need to give it a workout.

If you open up the drivers window and stick your arm out, you can reach to the back of the moonroof and press down on the edge. That will allow you to open the glass. Next up is lubricating the lip around the glass. That's what worked for me. I never got around to having to adjust the runners or anything like that.

MonsterMark said:
If you open up the drivers window and stick your arm out, you can reach to the back of the moonroof and press down on the edge. That will allow you to open the glass. Next up is lubricating the lip around the glass. That's what worked for me. I never got around to having to adjust the runners or anything like that.
You must have long arms to be able to hold the button and reach your arm out the window to push the moon roof down. Must make up for the lack of.......:N Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help. :gr_devil:

I didn't say middle of the glass. Left rear corner will do. Yes, you have to push both the button and the glass, at the same time.

I have been confused with comic book heros in the past but nobody has ever called me "Gumby".
icon12.gif

MonsterMark said:
I didn't say middle of the glass. Left rear corner will do. Yes, you have to push both the button and the glass, at the same time.
Bryan, didn't work. I didn't want to press to hard either but I figured if a couple of nudges didn't break it loose that I wasn't going to force it. Any other suggestions?

Humm,

Try it with 2 people so you can stand outside and press down in the center. Anybody been jumping around on your roof lately? Don't worry about pressing down too hard. Your not strong enough to break the glass. Did you lube the back edge?

MonsterMark said:
Humm,

Try it with 2 people so you can stand outside and press down in the center. Anybody been jumping around on your roof lately? Don't worry about pressing down too hard. Your not strong enough to break the glass. Did you lube the back edge?
Lube......what kind of person do you think I am? Didn't try that, just sprayed the inside rails with some PB blaster. I'm not afraid of breaking the glass, I'm afraid of putting so much force on it that it bends the rails that guide it back.

Jibit, just reach in your dresser drawer and pull out the you-know-what. Raise the glass to the vent position. Rub your lube along the backside edge of the glass along the roof line. Then close the roof and immediately go to the open position while pressing down on the rear edge of the glass. You may need to tug a little bit on the roof edge when you do get the roof open.

You can't do squat to adjust anything until you get the glass open and this will work.

MonsterMark said:
Jibit, just reach in your dresser drawer and pull out the you-know-what. Raise the glass to the vent position. Rub your lube along the backside edge of the glass along the roof line. Then close the roof and immediately go to the open position while pressing down on the rear edge of the glass. You may need to tug a little bit on the roof edge when you do get the roof open.

You can't do squat to adjust anything until you get the glass open and this will work.
Bryan, I'll have to try it tonight after I buy some more lube because its been a long weekend :tongue: :ban

The manual crank is located above the center rear seat. Just looks like a plastic cover in the headliner. Pop it off and there is a hole to place a manual crank in. Don't know were there crank is. Supposed to be in the glove box I think.

This Ford feature comes in handy if your car falls into the river and the car is flooding and the power windows won't work and the doors are jammed. Pop the cover, wait for the water to fill all the way up, take a deep breath, then crank like crazy. When the roof opens, pretend you are a nuclear missile, hunch down and then launch yourself out of the opening, making a wooshing sound as you go up. Or just scream out of fear that you almost lost your life but then realize that it was I, MonsterMark, that saved your life by typing out these instructions for you.
icon6.gif

MonsterMark said:
This Ford feature comes in handy if your car falls into the river and the car is flooding and the power windows won't work and the doors are jammed.
Didn't realize that the car had a James Bond feature

Well tried manually cranking the window last night and found it very difficult to budge. I managed to open it all the way but then it wouldn't open/close by the switch. I finally removed the motor and found all kinds on metal shavings on the gear, either from me or trying time and time again to open and close it. I finally moved the window to the up position (sunroof) and with the motor still removed I pressed the button so that the motor thought it was opening the window. I did this because it seemed like the motor wasn't synched with the position of the window. I put it back together and all is well. I need to clean the rails though, sounds like there is dirt caked in the guide rails.

Use real white lithium grease to lube everything up while you're in there. Glad that it all worked out!

Members online

No members online now.
Back