Monroe gas charged vs 03 bilstein

tolincoln

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
How would the Monroe gas charged rear shocks compare to the 2003 svt cobra convertible bilsteins?

i used svt cobra COUPE bilstiens.

the vert shocks are supposed to be even stiffer. holy cow that would be stiff! :eek:

to compare, sponge cake vs brick. :lol:

There is nothing wrong with monroe shocks. The real question is what are your plans for your Mark? Is it daily driving, or some type of aggressive driving.

Ok. Sorry, not trying to thread jack but what about these rear isolators and perches? I have no idea if I need 4 isolators, just 2 for the bottoms of the springs, 4 isolators with perches, or 2 isolators on the bottom with 2 perches. I initially thought that I could put springs right in the pocket where the airbags used to be, but apparently that isn't the case? I want the car to sit level and not slammed in the back. Vogland 1" drop springs are what I am going to run and Bilsteins for the rear.

I've got vert Bilstiens on mine... Ride isn't that bad. I have a second coupe set for my SVO.

Ok. Sorry, not trying to thread jack but what about these rear isolators and perches? I have no idea if I need 4 isolators, just 2 for the bottoms of the springs, 4 isolators with perches, or 2 isolators on the bottom with 2 perches. I initially thought that I could put springs right in the pocket where the airbags used to be, but apparently that isn't the case? I want the car to sit level and not slammed in the back. Vogland 1" drop springs are what I am going to run and Bilsteins for the rear.

I've got a set of isolators if you need them, just have to find them..the mark is under the knife and the garage is a mess.LOL.you only need 2.
You will also need some thing to center the spring on top and bottom as well as make ho the hight diff from the tbird to mark lower arm.
I went with the tokico illum set all the way around for shocks. Set to firm with eibach pro springs.

As others have posted. I have had both. The cobra bilstiens are much firmer. They were designed for a 500HP stang. The monroe's are for the every day grocery getter.

I went with the Bilstein (slightly used cobra coupe) shocks. I didn't want a harsh ride but they aren't bad. If you don't want to spend much browse some cobra forums for sale sections, some are sure to pop up.

And I noticed a very nice deal on the mounts today:
http://www.americanairsuspension.com/dealoftheday.asp

I used these mounts and very happy with my setup.

arent the rear shocks for the thunderbird a direct bolt on without plates. the cobras have to have the plates, but on the other hand they dont make bilsteins for the 97 tbird im aware of.

Bilsteins are bolt on as much as any other shock on a mark
I just burnt the rubber out of the stock shock mounts.

I've got a set of isolators if you need them, just have to find them..the mark is under the knife and the garage is a mess.LOL.you only need 2.
You will also need some thing to center the spring on top and bottom as well as make ho the hight diff from the tbird to mark lower arm.
I went with the tokico illum set all the way around for shocks. Set to firm with eibach pro springs.

Thanks man. If you can't find them I just might as well get new ones. The part I need help with is:

"You will also need some thing to center the spring on top and bottom as well as make ho the hight diff from the tbird to mark lower arm."

^That's the part that has me confused. Can someone link me to what I need? Spacers of some sort? Honestly, I don't want to spend as much on perches as I do springs. I am a noob to all of this trust me. I will not be offended if someone makes a diagram! lol Chit, I don't even know if isolators or perches are the same thing or which one of those is responsible for managing the ride height if at all. Spoon feed me

Thanks man. If you can't find them I just might as well get new ones. The part I need help with is:

"You will also need some thing to center the spring on top and bottom as well as make ho the hight diff from the tbird to mark lower arm."

^That's the part that has me confused. Can someone link me to what I need? Spacers of some sort? Honestly, I don't want to spend as much on perches as I do springs. I am a noob to all of this trust me. I will not be offended if someone makes a diagram! lol Chit, I don't even know if isolators or perches are the same thing or which one of those is responsible for managing the ride height if at all. Spoon feed me

Pm sent

You can get the kyb gr2's for $23 dollars a piece

the same price as the monroes....im running them on my 97 and they are much stiffer then stock with 80,000 miles but not harsh. Cant beat the price of em. *shrug*

kyb part # 344110

1319313929017.jpg

1319304927920.jpg

1319306079820.jpg

1319307968771.jpg

arent the rear shocks for the thunderbird a direct bolt on without plates. the cobras have to have the plates, but on the other hand they dont make bilsteins for the 97 tbird im aware of.

There are no shocks for other cars that are a direct bolt-on. No matter what, you're gonna need shock mounts.

I've still got a few sets of the stainless steel shock mounts that I sell, with the poly bushings and all hardware.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=72938

Members online

No members online now.
Back