moisture sensitive wipers 2001 ls v8

• Thread starter Deleted member 22631
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 22631

Does anyone know why my automatic wipers are not responding? The switches are both set to auto and int. The sensor when looking outside at the Window will blink yellow once when moved to auto position, but no more after that, night or day no difference, when it rains they do not turn on automatically, I just had my windshield replaced, don't know if that has affected it, I'm assuming it's the old sensor and new ones don't come with a new one, it worked correctly before the windshield replacement, I assume it still works because it will blink once and has power but I don't know why it has not responded to rain yet

I think that the possibilities are:
1. The put the wrong windshield in (a 2nd gen without rain sensor)
2. Poor quality windshield
3. Sensor attached incorrectly
4. Sensor mishandled and broken
5. Sensor correctly handled, but failed during handling due to age
6. Sensor dirty and needs to be cleaned
7. Something else

BTW, I drove a 2012 Ford the other day with auto wipers. I noticed that it didn't do a "calibration" sweep each time it was started. I wonder if the new module can be retrofitted?

I found that the wipers need a "wake-up call" when they aren't used for a while..... I only have them activated when it may rain.

How does one remove the sensor case to expose the plug on the sensor without damaging the windshield

How does one remove the sensor case to expose the plug on the sensor without damaging the windshield

Removal and Installation
1. NOTE: To avoid damage to the rain sensor
module cover, push up on the cover while rotating
the top of the cover toward the rear of the vehicle.
NOTE: Prior to installing the rain sensor module,
the windshield glass area between the rain sensor
module brackets must be cleaned.
NOTE: When installing the rain sensor module, it
is necessary to apply inward pressure on the
module prior to locking the rain sensor module
retaining slides in place.
Remove the rain sensor module cover (17D550).
2. Remove the rain sensor module 17D547.
1 Pull the latch on the connector away from the
harness and disconnect the electrical
connector.
2 NOTE: When removing the rain sensor
module, it is necessary to apply inward
pressure on the module prior to releasing the
rain sensor module retaining slides.
Release the rain sensor module retaining
slides.
3 Remove the rain sensor module.
3. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Yeah, I don't know , it's definitely has a dull constant light inside after the initial first bright pulse, can't find anything online about recalibration, I unplugged it at the sensor with it unplugged the wipers go off automatically about every 45 seconds one wipe, il have to wait til night to see what it looks like in the dark, this one is a bosch, is this the original or could it be one they replaced it with?

Perhaps it's just the difference between the original lincoln glass and aftermarket, the way the light is coming into the sensor

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having issues with mine. The glass was replaced(before I owned it) and hasn't worked since. I popped the sensor off and took off the two clear gel like squares, rinsed them in water and put it all back together and it still doesn't work. I can see the orange lights and occasionally when I switch the stalk into auto, the wipers will do a sweep. I'm assuming the sensor isn't damaged, but when I pour water over the windshield where the sensor is, they don't come on. I've heard something about another piece of plastic going between the sensor and the windshield. Does anyone know anything about this?

I don’t own my Lincoln anymore but I found out with mine that it is the difference between factory glass and aftermarket and the aftermarket glass that was installed wouldn’t allow the sensor to detect water as easily as the factory glass

Members online

Back