Mobile Phone Hands Free System Wiring Harness

hockey930

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I would like to figure out how to make my cell phone work through my car stereo without being fm modulated. I found these part numbers but I number one have no idea how it works or hooks up, and two don't know if it will work in my 2000ls. If you have any thoughts or info please let me know.
Eamonn
4L2Z-19A393-AA
3W4Z-14A411-AB

that was one of my first posts when i joined and everyone said it couldnt be done. i hope u figure this out.

It's not too difficult. I added a Nokia to my 04. On the back of the radio are three connectors. There are several pins with no wires connected. One of these is the cell phone active signal. Ground it, and the radio switches to phone mode (display says phone, and radio comes on even if off or key was off). This is the pin to connect the cell phone "mute" output from the handfree kit into. Another pin (on a different connector, if I recall correctly), is the audio input to wire the speaker output of the handfree kit into. There is also a ground/return pin matching this audio input, but any ground should work okay. Most ford radios seem to have this feature, but the pins used move around from one model to the next. I wrote down the pin numbers to use somewhere, but I can't find it right now. I thought I had added the info to my wiring diagrams, but I didn't. You can look for the activate pin by touching a 100 ohm (to keep from damaging anything) resistor to ground and then to each of the unused pins, one by one. (This must be done while the radio is connected to the car.) When you hit the right one, the radio will say "PHONE." Then use another resistor to hunt for the two audio inputs. When you hit one, you will here some noise as you touch the pin.
I also recall that Ford sells (higher cost than should be) a harness adapter for the LS that would save you the trouble of finding the right pins, and figuring out how to connect to them. You will still need a handsfree kit to match the phone that you have. It will need to have a low-true mute output and speaker level audio output.

welcome aboard, great first post. can this be done to an 00 ls8. ive been wanting to do this for a while now. please PM me and let me knoe what i have to do to get this to work.

it can be done. let me know how many and how many pins on your radio harness. I "may" be able to pull down connector images/pinouts from alldata.

beaups said:
it can be done. let me know how many and how many pins on your radio harness. I "may" be able to pull down connector images/pinouts from alldata.

Let us know! The 04 and up radios are 815 series and totally different than earlier units. I'm not sure these features are available on the earlier units, so I would be very interested to know.

I would realy like to know also. My radio has a piture of a phone on the mute button, this has to be possible.
Eamonn

Sorry I can only get into 2003 on my alldata account (diy account) and the 03+ use CAN protocol for all the add on goodies for the radio. If you don't have an alldata account you should get one. SUPER helpful and pretty cheap.

It should work. I have added handfree phone to an 04 LS, and to a 2000 Grand Marquis. I think that most Ford radios (if not all) that have the phone mute button will work. As was said, the particular pins to use change around from year to year. Yes they do all use the FCP (Ford's version of CAN) bus to talk to the factory phone, but that is not needed to make it work. The only thing that causes, is that when you hit the phone mute button, the radio says no phone and won't mute. Everything else works. (You only get the no phone message if you do have a phone hooked up, oddly enough.) I still haven't found my notes on the 04 radio. The 2000 radio had three connectors (only two populated on some models). The cell phone connections were on the 20 pin connector. Pin 10 is the cell phone in-use signal. Connect the mute output from you handsfree kit to this. Pins 12 and 11 are cellphone audio inputs (12 positive, 11 negative). Connect the speaker output from the handsfree kit to these. Sorry I don't have the pins numbers handy for the 04 radio, but other than the pin numbers the connections are the same. The CAN bus connections are present on both the 2000 and the 2004, but they aren't needed for normal operation.

Go to Radio Shack. Buy a pack of 100 ohm resistors. Wire one side of the resistor to the car's ground. With the radio connected, but pulled out of the dash (doesn't have to be turned on), touch the other side of the resistor to each pin (one by one) on the back of the radio that does not have a wire attached. The resistor will keep you from hurting anything. You'll find that one of these causes the radio to power up and go into cell phone mode. Once in cell phone mode, you can take another grounded resistor and try all the other pins again. Two of these pins will cause noise on the radio speakers. These will be the audio input pins.

BTW, I have the factory wiring diagrams and the factory manuals (from Helm). Neither mention this feature or name the pins used. They list the pins as being "not used." I suspect that the AllData stuff would be the same. This is an undocumented feature, but it is there.

wow, great post there. I will be attemping this. Where would I get a hands free kit for a nokia? Are you talking about just a cheap little haedset?
Eamonn

Go to the Nokia web site (www.nokiausa.com) and look up the handsfree car kit to use with your phone. I think that it is mostly one universal kit that they are selling now. Some of the phones use Bluetooth, and just have to be in the car. Others need a cradle to set the handset in. It is very handy. The cradle charges the phone and is easy in and out. [No cables to plug in and out each time, just a docking connector.] You won't need the speaker that comes with the kit (but you can use the cable attached to the speaker). You also don't need the extra handset option. Some phones connect to an external antenna through the cradle, but most just use the antenna in the phone. If your's has the external option, you'll need an antenna too. Anyway, find the part numbers you need at the Nokia site, then search the web for better prices else where. (You can order direct from Nokia, but they are more than most other places.) Lastly, you may want to go to www.pro-fit-intl.com to get a bracket to mount the cradle on. They make one for the LS that installs without altering the dash any. I can take a picture of mine if you would like.

a friend of mine told me tha his ls ( 05 ) came with a blue tooth phone interface -- i called the dealer and they told me that they can install it for about $400 but the device is cheaper than that -- i saw it at the owners website for the LS and the have it for around $150 and it comes with the instructions to do it yourself but if you do you are going to jepordize your warranty.. im still thinking of letting my dealer do it but if your warranty is done then :q:q:q:q this is great pick-up...

You are not putting your warranty at risk by installing this yourself...unless you screw something up. It's a Ford accessory. Any dealer that tried to shovel that on you needs to be turned into Lincoln.

Ford only makes the bluetooth stuff for the 04 plus models right?
I am currently on the lookout for this kit, I will have hands free done right in this car. Thank you guys for the info, I plan to keep updateing this thread and would appreciate if you guys keep looking back every now and again for advice.
Eamonn

a company called cellport makes plug and play stuff for ford, its easy to install, i going to do mine after xmas. I havnt seen it done in a ls yet but my uncle had it in his 04 tbird demo.

Pictures of install...

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12564&stc=1&d=1134949131
DSCF0061.JPG
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12565&stc=1&d=1134949131
DSCF0062.JPG
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12566&stc=1&d=1134949131
DSCF0063.JPG
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12567&stc=1&d=1134949131
DSCF0064.JPG

DSCF0061.JPG

DSCF0062.JPG

DSCF0063.JPG

DSCF0064.JPG

5speed02 said:
a company called cellport makes plug and play stuff for ford, its easy to install, i going to do mine after xmas. I havnt seen it done in a ls yet but my uncle had it in his 04 tbird demo.

Got a link? Their website talks about some sort of TCP/IP system for autos, nothing really on-point about cell connectivity.

I broke down last night because of you bastards and bought a bluetooth car kit. When it comes in I will try to wire it up as specified above. I don't know why I am so overexcited about this.....but I am
Eamonn

hockey930 said:
I broke down last night because of you bastards and bought a bluetooth car kit. When it comes in I will try to wire it up as specified above. I don't know why I am so overexcited about this.....but I am
Eamonn

Did you buy the Ford factory accessory or aftermarket? I think for our year LS's (2000 & 2002) the factory accessories are not plug and play, might be capable of intergration like Joegr says.

The microphone is on the ceiling, between the two map lights. It works very well there. I believe that the factory location is on top of the steering column, just behind the wheel.

highlander73 said:
Did you buy the Ford factory accessory or aftermarket? I think for our year LS's (2000 & 2002) the factory accessories are not plug and play, might be capable of intergration like Joegr says.

I bought and aftermarket motorola kit, I pray it will work.
Eamonn

Ford also makes a mirror that has a microphone in it. I believe it's for their voice activated NAV systems. Rather than buy from Ford, you can get one from MITO or their dealer network. It's a Gentex.

Members online

No members online now.
Back