MK8 Lower Door Hindge Repair

Spree

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Finally getting to that lower door hinge.
Took the hinge off today and it's going to work with me Monday for new free fix home made parts (repair).
My plan of attack is...new pin with "c" clips, new bushings, new roller.
Please excuse the rough drawing, I don't have any dimensions yet until I take it apart to measure everything.
I'm hoping not to have to re drill hinge with bigger bushings but we'll find out.
I'm up for any and all suggestions or comments from the "masters of the MK8", (that being the LVC members), for a better way but...this is my "plan of attack" as of today!
Please keep the comments on the paint and the hillbilly car cover to a minimum as we are in the rainy season and it will have to stay this way until next weekend (rock driveway and no garage).

Please chime in, all suggestions welcome!

Lower Hinge Repair (1).jpg

Lower Hinge Repair (2).jpg

Lower Hinge Repair (4).jpg

Lower Hinge Repair (5).jpg

Lower Hinge Repair (6).jpg

Lower Hinge Repair (7).jpg

Lower Hinge Repair (8).jpg

Lower Hinge Repair (9).jpg

i just bought that stuff last time i did it for an f150.
the HELP section in auto zone had them.

Yeah... got to the JY.. test a few doors and remove the tightest one ... go home
You can take one from the passenger side.. which is usually used less

Usually autobody repair stores have the replacement pin and bushings. No need to remove door. Just cut pin with a pair of bolt cutters, slide new bushings in, insert pin, and put the new retaining clips in. They are styled differently than factory pins.

But I've done it that way too.... its a mother to get the door right. Have a friends help you with alignment otherwise you'll be cussing it and scratching your paint!

Yeah... got to the JY.. test a few doors and remove the tightest one ... go home
You can take one from the passenger side.. which is usually used less

Called every jy around, they all laugh and say "good luck finding a MK8"

Usually autobody repair stores have the replacement pin and bushings. No need to remove door. Just cut pin with a pair of bolt cutters, slide new bushings in, insert pin, and put the new retaining clips in. They are styled differently than factory pins.

But I've done it that way too.... its a mother to get the door right. Have a friends help you with alignment otherwise you'll be cussing it and scratching your paint!

Had no choice but to pull it, roller was also shot (had flat spots on it). Didn't want to spend any money on this since I can make all the parts myself. Almost done with it, pics to come.

Called every jy around, they all laugh and say "good luck finding a MK8"

Are TBird/Cougar hinges the same as the Mark VIII? I have a couple of rebuilt hinges I did for my TBird, but never installed because it really doesn't need them that bad. BTW, the hinges I have look brand new, not like those previous pics!

Are TBird/Cougar hinges the same as the Mark VIII? I have a couple of rebuilt hinges I did for my TBird, but never installed because it really doesn't need them that bad. BTW, the hinges I have look brand new, not like those previous pics!

I called jy's for MK8 parts in general (none found around here). Not sure if any other cars share these same hinges.
Can you get a pic up of the TBird/Cougar hinges?
Maybe someone else can chime in that know more about if the MK8 hinges are shared with other cars!
Dealer said they can only get a hold of 2 and there $125 each! Dam

I bought my hinges on ebay. I too was planning on doing the door hinges on my '93 but I ended up making it worst, lol... So before I continued the project I went to a couple body shops to get quotes. I paid $62.00 & had the door hinges professionally installed on my '93. Best $62.00 spent & it was done in one hour, greased up the locking mechanism & they even painted the hinges to match the car. Door closed like a new car!

had a tbird before my mark yes they r the same... with that said i drilled out both midle holes to b the same size as the two out size holes . now all 4 holes r the same size so u can do away with the bushing that always whear out then got a bolt with washers and a nut and put it back together. i had the car 6 yrs after that never had another issue out of it and never sagged again.. also dealing with a comp, to make a bolt on set of lambo door kit 4 my mark they crossed the door hinges over it came back the same as a tbird...

I tired a lower one from a T-bird and it was shorter.I'll go to the jy tomorrow and check if there all shorter.I'm gonna grab 95 door handles(thicker handles)and probably the passenger side lower hinge since I forgot all about it.

I know I can find a Tbird or Cougar in the jy! Is there some way of cross referencing these cars to know for sure which ones will work?

The t-bird/cougar lower hinge is about 1/4" shorter.It doesn't stick out as far as the mark 8 hinge.The conti/towncar has the same hinge at the body but the other half that bolts to the door is different go figure.

Finally got the hinge done. After I took it apart I decided to fix the pin just like factory, (not removable) and not the "C" clip method that I was going to do, for bolt clearance.
I turned down a bolt so It would have a head on top and flared at the bottom, (cutting the threads off).
I made solid bushings out of brass and pressed them in then drilled a hole straight through both of them at the same time for straightness.

Roller is now made out of steel instead of whatever it was made out of.

Cleaned everything in the parts washer after I was done. What I and you thought was rust was only dirt. I don't think I'm even going to re-paint, just re-install. If it starts to rust then I'll have to pull again and paint but hope I don't have too. Will have to keep an eye on this!

I'm going to find out how the door hangs this weekend. With any luck I'm going to bolt everything up and it's going to be perfect the 1st shot!

What are the chances of that?....lol

Here are some pic's of the finished hinge. I didn't take my camera to work with me so I don't have any pic's of WIP....sorry!

Lower Hinge Repair (10).jpg

Lower Hinge Repair (11).jpg

Lower Hinge Repair (12).jpg

Lower Hinge Repair (13).jpg

Lower Hinge Repair (14).jpg

Lower Hinge Repair (15).jpg

Lower Hinge Repair (16).jpg

Lower Hinge Repair (17).jpg

Lower Hinge Repair (18).jpg

Nice Job on that hinge! That does look exactly like the TBird one I rebuilt (you can't see those worn spots where the roller goes on mine like in your pics because my hinge is in the closed position and I don't think it was quite the worn to start with!) Here is a couple pics of my finished hinge:

RebuiltHinge1of2.jpg

RebuiltHinge2of2.jpg

Nice Job on that hinge! That does look exactly like the TBird one I rebuilt (you can't see those worn spots where the roller goes on mine like in your pics because my hinge is in the closed position and I don't think it was quite the worn to start with!) Here is a couple pics of my finished hinge:

RebuiltHinge1of2.jpg

RebuiltHinge2of2.jpg

Did you buy that kit or make it? Just wondering what your roller is made out of? The pin looks nice to.
My roller seemed to be made out of some kind of plastic and the roller I made was steel.
When I put everything together I had to use 2 pairs of vice grips to compress rubber and stand on it to get roller to go into position. It is so much tighter then it was before.
I based my roller on the largest diameter of the old roller (since it had flat spots), dam it's tight!
I even left a little slop in the center of the roller like the passenger door has (which still looks new).
I'm going to install it today if the weather permits, and see what happens.
I'm sure the roller doesn't matter to much since it just holds the door open.
I was more concerned with the bushings and the pin (which both had way to much wear and tear on them after 195K.

Actually, that's the original roller on mine - it's in perfect shape so I didn't mess with it. I bought this parts car from the original owner when she overheated and ruined the engine.

The pin kit is the one made for the Ford Trucks, it's slightly bigger than the stock pin so it's great for when your holes are 'egged out' from wear; a little bit of drilling out to the larger size, press those brass/bronze (whatever it is) bushings in, then put it all back together was all it took!

I'm not positive on the part number, but it might have been 38438 ??? It's the red, carded Help! Dorman kit available at most auto part stores and runs about $8.

Hinge installed!
Dam...that door hangs perfect the 1st time. No more air leak, no more squeak.
I should have done this a long time ago. Very easy to open and close. I've owned this car for 13 years and the door has never worked this good!
I'm glad I went with the steel roller, it's works better then the factory plastic pos. I think I'll knock out the roller on the passenger side and put a steel one in there too!

On a side note...I LOVE THESE CAR'S!

Was going to pull the lower drivers hinge but the access to the nut inside is to much of a hassle.
Block up the door. Take a saws all and cut between the door section and the body section of the hinge through the pin and bushing, starting with the top. Then wedge a screwdriver into the bottom to give the blade clearance and cut through the bushing and hinge pin there. Remove the door section of the hinge assembly. Take an air chisel and drive out the hinge pieces on the body portion of the hinge.Get a 38438 doorman kit and replace the bushings. Slide the door portion of the hinge inside the body portion of the hinge and tap the pin up through using a small hammer. Install the c clip. Re bolt hinge to door. Adjust and your set

I'm glad this thread was revived!
It looks like it's been about 2 1/2 years since i did this free fix and the door is still hanging perfect.

Members online

No members online now.
Back