Mixing coolant in 2006 LS?

tristangoesham

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So I've had my 2006 LS for about a year now and I've been putting in regular universal coolant in my car (because I didn't know any better) and when I went to the dealer to buy some parts for a repair (cracked thermostat housing) I was told to only put the Gold Ford Motorcraft coolant in the car.

My question is, should I get the car flushed ($145 at the dealer) and start using the Gold Motorcraft or just keep using the generic universal green stuff? I'm not sure but I kind of feel like Ford/Lincoln is trying to sell more $20/gallon coolant.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Flush it and put in the Prestone premixed stuff.

Once you change out the cracked plastic parts (the degas bottle is probably cracked too), you shouldn't have to add any coolant between changes (should change every three years).

Flush it and put in the Prestone premixed stuff.

Once you change out the cracked plastic parts (the degas bottle is probably cracked too), you shouldn't have to add any coolant between changes (should change every three years).

Thanks, is the degas bottle the same as the coolant reservoir in the top right under the hood?

The degas bottle is our vehicles is a not an overflow tank but a pressurized reservoir found in the upper right hand side.

The Motorcraft Gold or its equivalent Zerex G-05 are the recommended coolant types in the manual. Careful don't use regular tap water when mixing the concentrated versions of these. To avoid the hassle of locating distilled water go with the 50/50 pre-diluted versions of these.

Surprised how usually most people recommend using original parts on here when replacing things, but when it comes to coolant a lot of people recommend using other than what Ford/Lincoln say to use, Motorcraft Gold. (or the same product Zerex G-05)

Surprised how usually most people recommend using original parts on here when replacing things, but when it comes to coolant a lot of people recommend using other than what Ford/Lincoln say to use, Motorcraft Gold. (or the same product Zerex G-05)

For me, it's experience based. The aftermarket cooling system parts available for the LS are crap. On the other hand, the Prestone (which meets the Ford specs) has been just fine for me for many years now. I refer specifically to the long life pre-mix universal.

If you're not comfortable with that, then get the Ford stuff. I would probably be stoned by the BWM crowd if they saw the green that is in my BMW, instead of the blue that it is supposed to be.

After many plastic parts and a degas bottle and radiator. Ran fine with the 50/50 stuff till the next coolant leak. It was a tuff one it was the hose from the degas bottle up underneath the bracket that holds the engine cover and was leaking from the bottom. After that fix all is fine with the cooling system.

Members online

No members online now.
Back