Micah's 98 LSC Black/Black Progress Thread

micahs97m8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted to do one of these and now that I have "the one" it's time to start a progress thread. My cousin bought it a month or so ago for $1900 and put almost $1000 into rebuilding the front suspension, full spring conversion, and replacing the oil filter housing gasket.

He took a trip from NJ to NC and the transmission started shuddering and whatnot. He's about to deploy and doesn't feel like letting it sit, so I got it from him for a family-friendly price.

The first order of business was to pick up a new tranny. I got EXTREMELY lucky and got a custom built 4r70w from Performance Automatics for $400!!!
This transmission was used in a 99 Mustang project that was featured in MM & FF Magazine!!
Here's a link to the project article: http://www.musclemustangfastfords.c..._stealth_performance_mustang_4r70w/index.html

and here are some pics of the trans. in the bed of my truck:
009.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Also recent is freshly polished headlights and new window switches.

Projects coming soon: Transmission install, ballast, a rust-free emission tray, and a brand new set of tires for my Octastars!

More to come in the next few months, just wanted to get it started.

It's a 2800 stall....lol. I should immediately feel the effects on the car with this beast. I'm going with 3.73's late summer if i'm lucky. So many activities....:D

The best part is it was 5 minutes from my house...lol. I'll be putting a one-piece driveshaft in when i do the install unless i find an aftermarket one for a good price.

Kk. Where can I get a decent stall I'm on my android. when i sign onto lvc im on my android

Last edited:
So with a Mustang flex plate that will bolt and wire right up to a 98 Mark?

Circle D is the best out there for 4r70w's imo.

That's what I have. 3800 stall daily-driven with a 40,000 gvw cooler. Trans NEVER runs hot. Keep in mind the lower torque output from the Intech, so an aggressive stall never hurts. Just be sure you have a large cooler, preferably the 40,000 gvw unit. They fit just perfect in front of the radiator sort of like an intercooler. :D

So increase stall and make sure to cool it. Got it. Now to price out another stall converter.....:cool:

That's what I have. 3800 stall daily-driven with a 40,000 gvw cooler. Trans NEVER runs hot. Keep in mind the lower torque output from the Intech, so an aggressive stall never hurts. Just be sure you have a large cooler, preferably the 40,000 gvw unit. They fit just perfect in front of the radiator sort of like an intercooler. :D
Nice to know...3800 ftw!

So with a Mustang flex plate that will bolt and wire right up to a 98 Mark?
L

Kinda what I was thinking....micahs97m8 read this thread.
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=73791

If it was me I would send that vert to circle d figure out wtf it is.

Not stock stall for sure.

According to the article, it's A 10-inch torque converter from Pat's Performance Converters with a stall-speed 0f 2,800 rpm. Does anyone know where I can find a cheap converter? i've been looking at a few, but my price range is low. I don't want to pay more for the converter than I payed for the transmission...lol.

What are your eventual power goals for the car? You're pretty much looking at finding a used convertor if your price range is that low, these little bastards are expensive.

Considered the options and decided to stick with the current 2800. I will not be racing in brackets or anything, just a weekend cruiser and such. I'll pair it up with a 1-piece and 3:73's and call it good for a few years. Once I get all that finished up, i'll consider upgrades in the future.

Still have to repaint, new tires, ballast, tint, blower motor, and probably a tune at some point. all this and it isn't even in my state yet....lol. Might re-do a nearly perfect tray this weekend and coat it with rubberized spray paint to resist rust. wish me luck! :D

Finally got it home this past weekend!!! We started a transmission swap only to stop when we realized exhaust bolts would break. I didn't have that much time in a weekend. I drove it up here with the old tranny still in it and it only slipped a couple times. When I go to swap the trans. i'm going to do custom exhaust at the same time. It will be getting cat-back upgrades including an X or XX pipe and newer Mustang GT mufflers. I like the sound and the price of these.

Lots of basic cleanup will be done in the next 2 weeks before Carlisle. Updates as they happen.....

you thought the 12 year old exhaust would just slip right off?

Its really not that bad to drill out the broken studs and replace with new ones. my low mileage car just broke them and it wasnt too bad to replace.

Did some headlight work on the car yesterday. Swapped the original HID housings out with crystal clear halogen housings. Then installed 8000k aftermarket headlights. They are a little more blue than factory. I couldnt get a good pic last night, but they look great!

Ressurrecting an old thread because she is back on the road to success. I drove the car with a slipping trans for nearly a year and then parked it for winter. This past summer I drove it once in a while and then the brake line went out. I have been ammassing parts for a huge comeback since then. :D

For brakes I have purchased stainless braided lines from Paragon performance and R1 concepts drilled/slotted rotors with ceramic brake pads. I also plan on getting the calipers powder coated in red.:)

For the transmission, I still have the race trans and 2800 stall converter (I realize that isn't a high stall) and I have just picked up a Tru-Cool 40,000GVW transmission cooler brand new for only $60!!:eek: Also picked up a 1-piece d/s for the swap. Hoping Doug will tackle this install when he's done with his current project. :shifty:

While the trans is down there are a couple other things I plan on doing.......

I bought a brand new green-top SVT Focus pump for better fuel delivery.

And I am amassing the parts for exhaust work. I have 2009 GT500 mufflers coming this week and I plan on putting an x-pipe where the 3rd cat sits. I just need to figure out if i'm spending any more on larger pipes.:cool:

A lot more still needs done, and I have to do these things when the weather warms up. I have a new idler pulley, glitch ballast, passenger door handle and fender, fuel filter, evap tray, and headlight switch to install.

After that, it's body work and paint time.......

Pics of some of these parts up soon. This is the longest post i've ever written!:tmi:

Members online

No members online now.
Back