Mark VIII Window Motor Repair

Spree

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
If you window quit working it's probably the large plastic gear inside you window motor! This is my pictorial fix.

Pic 1. Remove the one screw that holds the gear cover on and remove cover.

Pic 2. Remove gear keeper and washer (washer is still on gear in this pic).

Pic 3. 19 year old crusty grease I removed from the inside.

Pic 4. Remove large plastic gear and smaller metal gear. You can see three spots on center circle of plastic gear, these turn the metal gear and they are stripped out! Which is why your window quit rolling up/down.

Pic 5. Other side of plastic and metal gear.

Pic 6. I turned metal and plastic gear upside down and installed it back into the housing to keep center shaft holes lined up. Black straight mark is where lobe on metal gear is underneath. Black dot is where hole is going. Screw heads need to be as far away from the shaft as possible. I drill one hole and screwed the two gears together before drilling the 2nd and 3rd holes.

Pic 7. I chose three self tapping button head screws (for the three lobes on the metal gear) and a drill bit a little smaller then the screws (penny for reference).

pic 8. I removed the screw holding the two gears together and marked the holes so I know which hole goes with which hole and cleaned both gears of any metal shavings.

Pic 9. I screwed both gears together (these two gears now act as one). Make a note of where the screw heads are! They have to clear that circle because the bottom of the shaft has a rise that's about 1/8" high. This is the clearance that your screw heads will need.

Pic 10. Other side of the gears after there screwed together.

Pic 11. Re-pack gear with new grease. Put some grease on bottom of plastic gear in between screw heads (this will be riding on the 1/8" rise at bottom of shaft. Grease the shaft and the black o-ring on the metal gear.

Pic 12. Put the washer back on the shaft. Put the gear keeper back on the shaft. Put the gear cover back on and install the single screw that holds it in place.

Your done! Now your window motor is better then new!

Window Motor (1).jpg

Window Motor (2).jpg

Window Motor (3).jpg

Window Motor (4).jpg

Window Motor (5).jpg

Window Motor (6).jpg

Window Motor (7).jpg

Window Motor (8).jpg

Window Motor (9).jpg

Window Motor (10).jpg

Window Motor (11).jpg

Window Motor (12).jpg

I've done that many, many, many, many, many, many, many...times :lol: Mostly on Explorers and Mustangs. That saves a lot of money over buying new motors when usually the motor isn't bad. It's just those little bushings. It's an easy fix and saves money. So I like it :)

Thanks for the write up
I may not need this but I'm sure it will help many others.

This is my ds motor, it's now a spare. I did this to my ps motor a few weeks ago and it's working like a champ.

Thanks spree, Working on 3 things at the same time, I never thought about the clip that holds the gear on. This one must have broke, and is resting at the bottom of the door, it wasn't on the motor. I guess I have to go back in and fix it. Most likely was the problem to start with. This time I'll use both eyes.

Just an update...It has been 16 months since I did this repair and everything is still working perfect and quite. No sign of failure! Not sure why they didn't screw the two gears together in the first place?

I think it was made so at full up or down, it would slip by the cogs, and not burn up the motor.

Also so that in an emergency the window could be forced open.
The design was very deliberate.

Members online

No members online now.
Back