Mark VIII Anti Theft(?)

Myblk928

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a '97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC, I mistakenly left my key in ignition in the on position and ran the battery down. Now when I try to start I get nothing, no clicks starter engaging or anything.

I have recharged the battery (even tried jump starting) thinking I may have a solenoid issue.I tried to start the car by crossing the solenoid wires (I know, probably not a good idea) and at times the car would start but would not stay running.

After doing some reading online I checked the anti theft light. I blinks slowly but when I try to start it blinks rapidly when it returns to the on position.

My question is, is there a way I can diagnose if it is an anti theft issue (or possibly needing the key reprogrammed) without taking it to a dealer since my closest dealer is 20+ miles away. Any information is sincerely appreciated.

Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and then conect it and lock the car with the remote then unlock it with the remote. Then try and start it. My 09 f150 has done this

I never did figure out why, but my '06 F150 used to pull the same stunt. Often when I left it at the shop for service, they would call and say the antitheft was locked in and the truck wouldn't start. I would instruct them to get out and close the door, lock it with the key fob, count to three, unlock it with the key fob and then get in and start it.

Worked every time.

I did that at the drag strip once. The windows were down and I quess out of habit I locked it one time after parking it. I gave the keys to my nephew to drive it. He unlocked it by hand and then of course it wouldnt start. I bet it took us a half an hour to fiquire it out.

Unplug the anti theft module and see if it will start. If it does then through the AT module in your trunk and forget about it...

After taking the time and spending the money for a new starter, the "car" is still doing the same thing. I am out of ideas... Spree, could you give me more info on how to "Unplug the anti theft module"? I wasn't sure which plugs to unplug from the box in the glove compartment.
I did not have the key fob(push to lock/unlock doors) so I asked about it and was told it was lost and hasn't been used for years.
Please help... I can't imagine what the dealers gonna do to me.

After taking the time and spending the money for a new starter, the "car" is still doing the same thing. I am out of ideas... Spree, could you give me more info on how to "Unplug the anti theft module"? I wasn't sure which plugs to unplug from the box in the glove compartment.
I did not have the key fob(push to lock/unlock doors) so I asked about it and was told it was lost and hasn't been used for years.
Please help... I can't imagine what the dealers gonna do to me.

Buy a fob off ebay for 15 dollars. Pretty sure Gen2's you can sync the fob no problem. Opps I have some 97 fobs around also from car I parted.

Thanks Right on the Mark, I have one ordered. I sure hope you are "Right on the Mark" with this.lol I sure hope this works...

Thanks Right on the Mark, I have one ordered. I sure hope you are "Right on the Mark" with this.lol I sure hope this works...

I never had the problem you are having because I have a Gen1. I hope what others have said will hook you up. I know on my Gen1 all I needed was a paperclip to sync fob.

Gen 2's are really that much of a pain in the azz? With that bunny-nose grille and all?
Nice interior though.

(we need a Troll icon)

Should look like this, just unplug it.

Anti Theaft Module (1).jpg

Try unlocking the driver side door with the key - I thought I read that is supposed to disable to alarm.

I've been unplugging the wrong modules. From what I've found i have been unplugging the lighting module and the air suspension module (of course that did not work). Where is my anti theft unit located?

I've been unplugging the wrong modules. From what I've found i have been unplugging the lighting module and the air suspension module (of course that did not work). Where is my anti theft unit located?

The alarm module is located behind right side of dash near kick panel.

The Op has a 2nd gen, therefore the anti theft is built into the scil module. They are located in about the same place, but you can't just unplug the scil. The link slowmkviii put up tells how to relearn the scil.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions. Whay I tried to do was what slowmkviii suggested ;http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=86194. But When I got to the scil unit my only goal was to get my anti theft light to go out so i could try to start it. Well the the battery started to run down and after reconnecting all the clips my scil box started clicking a very rapid click (similar to a starter trying to start with a dead battery). Then I could not get my anti theft light to come on at all. I hooked it up to the charger and tried it this morning (I also tried locking the car with the push button) but when I turned the key it fired right up. I dought pushing the unlock button helped at all but I thought I would mention it anyway since I did not try to start it before hitting the button.
I cant thank you guys enough, It was good to get the exercise but I'm glad I have the car back and I can ride my bike for a workout only. You guys were a lifesaver.

i'm having the same problem and i unplugged the thing in the trunk and it just shut off my interior lights now i'm in the glove box looking at lots of boxs with wires which 1 do i unplug to get my car to start?

Members online

No members online now.
Back