Mark VIII 4.6 vs Eldorado 4.6 Performance

345 DeSoto

LVC Member
Reaction score
I own a '94 Eldorado with the 4.6 Northstar. I'm building a Mark VIII with a 4R70W transmission to go into a '32 Roadster. The Eldorado 4.6 is wicked fast, and I'm wondering how the Mark VIII 4.6 stacks up against it. I'm trying to figure out what to expect from the Mark engine in the '32. Both engines are bone stock and the Mark will have Stock electronics (ECU, necessary Modules, etc)...:feedback

I wouldn't really compare the two... I've driven an STS and the motor was pretty decent but I thought the car sucked to drive. The Mark VIII I feel has decent power, and after a good tune is put on really kicks.

You put a Mark motor in a light ass hot rod and it will feel way more powerful than when it is in a Mark....

The N* should be about 1/2 second faster to 60 and about the same difference in the quarter - stock.

I have seen a lot of N* being used in rods - they rotate them and use them in a rwd setup - This is a '67 Nova that used this set up

The N* should be about 1/2 second faster to 60 and about the same difference in the quarter - stock.

I have seen a lot of N* being used in rods - they rotate them and use them in a rwd setup - This is a '67 Nova that used this set up

That is BS, a Northstar is not 1/2 second faster to 60mph or the 1/4 mile.

Yep, stock mid 90s era Eldo vs mid 90s era Marks...

Great site with lots of times for stock cars...

1995 Cadillac ETC 6.6 14.8 (Eldorado Touring Coupe)

1995 Lincoln Mark VIII 7.6 15.8

1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC 7.0 15.3

Mr Desoto was right - they are wicked fast for their age... And weight

Wrong wrong wrong. I have had three of these cars and two of my friends have cadillacs that are 4.6 32v

A 93 mark viii is the fastest of them all because of the unleashed stock computer limits. My %100 stock 93 with 140k miles on it will run a 14.6 like clockwork. I got my 97 LSC running the best i could with good oil,gas, plugs, fuel filter and managed to squeeze 3 different 14.7 passes.

The 93 STS tan a 15.4 and the 95 eldo etc ran a 15.1
My 97 lsc will run 15.0 everytime on full tank of pisswater (87 octane)

I love the northstars, and maybe from the factory might be a little quicker than the marks, the lincolns hold their power, longer. especially if maintained. But my 93 will take ANY caddy 32v northstar, stock for stock.

Marks will also kill the fwd's on the highway since the ratio's for the 4R70W are superior to the fwd auto (with no gear ratio advantage)

The 93 will hit 2nd gear from a roll at 75mph. Can the caddy do that? Does first gear take you to 55mph in first gear?

Manual shifting the marks at the right time is the key to good 1/4 mile times.

Marks are better in my honest opinion.

"1995 Lincoln Mark VIII 7.6 15.8" Really? it must have had a hot air intake on it. I've had 2 of each. The Nstar will bite from 0-50 but after that, the mark takes the cake. & as far as top end, the nstars smoke like diesels after 5,000 RPM's & you can actually smell the unburned fuel. This is where the mark motor shines in my humble opinion. It's smooth all of the way out. This topis has been beat to death if you search it. The bottom line is ,they're both pretty close from a dead stop, until the northstar blows it's headgasket!
if you do use the northstar, get a time sert set to rethread the head bolt holes. It's not a matter of if, but when.

Timeless discussion. I've only had one experience with running a Cad. Way back when my LS was bone stock, I tried a Cad about up to 80. I pulled out on him until I had about 2/3-3/4 car and then stayed there. FWIW
KS

even being partial to the lincoln i'll admit when something is faster and the caddy is NOT faster....close, but no cigar!

Members online

No members online now.
Back