MAF/Cold air help

viiiball

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
First i want to apologize to any members who had to endure reading all my questions at the other club,and thank the members who had helped. here is where I am stuck at: I got the maf out, i got a custom adapter, i uncorked and plugged the throttle tube and painted,got a 3" cone filter, got the asst.nuts and bolts, and got it pretty much mocked up for finished install. here are the probs i am having, i need some sort of adapter to fit the maf so i can clamp the maf to the stock rubber piece on the throttle tube, Driller gave me a great idea,using vulcanized rubber tape to make it fit, but suggested i only use it as temporary, tiffany,had pieces apparantly from a mustang but it had an adapter of some sort,LMS seems to have the piece included in their kit,but I am not upgrading the MAF at this time, i need some suggestions, i dont want to spend 150-200 on a cold air kit for a mustang for one piece, so i need some help, I also need some help about making a heat shield, i don't have any metal or any fabricating tools here so i am limited, i was going to use leos idea and just custom the stock box, but the maf sits loose inthere, i may use the idea of rubber tape to snug it in. what do you guys think? all help will be used and appreciated Jeff :L

As far as the heat shield Jeff, go to WalMart and get a rectangular tupperware container. Measure what you need for two sides and the bottom. Cut the short side with a hole to fit the filter neck at the MAF. Cut the bottom with a hole for the intake air to come from the hole in the fender. Cut the height to match the hood when closed. Add some weatherstripping at the top. I've seen this done somewhere... :?

Maybe this pic will help explain my above post...

474377_27_full.jpg

I know Geno was selling his cold air kit for $50 or $70. Maybe he has some left lying around that he would get rid of cheap. Don't know but give him a holler.

driller where do you buy the weatherstripping?, i like the tupperware idea alot, i can paint it too! anyway i thought about buying pvc or pcv pipe and mount the filter int he front bumpercover throught he existing hole, clamp the filter through the wheel well on top of compressor

Most auto parts will have generic weatherstripping, the kind that has a channel to go over an edge and a rubber 'bulb' shape to seal against. I think it's used mainly for trunks, doors, etc...

driller ....Today on Monster Garage, watch jesse james and his team of misfits change this ordinary tupperware bowl into a heat shield for a 1995 lincoln mark viii.i'll post pics when done btw should i leave transparent pink or lt blue ?LOL naw i'm gpnna paint it black, should have it done by sunday,thanks for the help!

Last edited:
what do you guys think about using pvc pipe in an s shape and stick it through the factory hole in the car to route the air up into the box? i think more direct air would get ther with this set up...or would it be a waste of time?

IMHO, any piping ahead of the filter is a restriction unless it is some type of ram air setup.

This does not preclude the need for a heat shield however, so the piping to outside cooler air is better than a non-shielded intake inside the engine compartment in a relative sense.

Also, PVC is less conductive of heat than metal tubing, so that is a plus. You may also consider a reflective insulating covering as well for further heat protection.

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/reflect-a-shield.htm

Regardless, next time your engine is at operating temperature, feel your intake... :eek:

finally got the cold air done with heat shield...i had to make a couple trips tp home depot but it works great....thanks to all and esp. to you Driller, i know I bugged you but i appreciate it!!! anyway what to do next?????xpipe where the 3rd res used to be?...i got the fever again, i cant let the wife see the check book LOL

driller said:
IMHO, any piping ahead of the filter is a restriction unless it is some type of ram air setup.

This does not preclude the need for a heat shield however, so the piping to outside cooler air is better than a non-shielded intake inside the engine compartment in a relative sense.

Also, PVC is less conductive of heat than metal tubing, so that is a plus. You may also consider a reflective insulating covering as well for further heat protection.

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/reflect-a-shield.htm

Regardless, next time your engine is at operating temperature, feel your intake... :eek:

viiiball said:
driller ....Today on Monster Garage, watch jesse james and his team of misfits change this ordinary tupperware bowl into a heat shield for a 1995 lincoln mark viii.i'll post pics when done btw should i leave transparent pink or lt blue ?LOL naw i'm gpnna paint it black, should have it done by sunday,thanks for the help!

Been there did that, it will warp.

ONEBADMK8 said:
Been there did that, it will warp.

Did you use "TupperWare" or the generic plastic ware? :p

Thanks for the tip on the IceBox. You didn't think you would need to include an instruction sheet on something with no moving parts, did ya?! :eek:

driller said:
Did you use "TupperWare" or the generic plastic ware? :p

Thanks for the tip on the IceBox. You didn't think you would need to include an instruction sheet on something with no moving parts, did ya?! :eek:

I will get to it.
All I have to do really is snap a pic of the unit properly installed and the pic should be enough.

geno, it looks all right , but i was afraid it may warp, it hasn't yet though, BTW why won't the icebox work with a stock maf? only the hole on yours is bigger, i already fabbed some stuff couldn't i just come up with a collar or somthin and make yours work, i'd fab a metal box, but no metal fabbing tools, if you think it'll work i'll order one from ya next week.maybe a heavier plastic,like what the original air box is made of, or maybe plexiglass?...please help before mine gets warped, summer is not here yet and i am worried now

driller said:

from drillers pic geno, unless there is some other reason, i think i can make yours work that would be great, eventually i want the bigger maf but for $$$ reasons i cannot right now. let me knoe Geno,if i can make it work,thanks in advance jeff

viiiball said:
geno, it looks all right , but i was afraid it may warp, it hasn't yet though, BTW why won't the icebox work with a stock maf? only the hole on yours is bigger, i already fabbed some stuff couldn't i just come up with a collar or somthin and make yours work, i'd fab a metal box, but no metal fabbing tools, if you think it'll work i'll order one from ya next week.maybe a heavier plastic,like what the original air box is made of, or maybe plexiglass?...please help before mine gets warped, summer is not here yet and i am worried now

viiiball said:

The problem with tupperware, plexiglasss..etc is they have no insulating charichteristics.

Our's does insulate, it was severely tested for 3 weeks under any and all heat conditions.

Heres a couple links to info about the ICEBOX when it was in it's R&D stages. I NEVER manufacture or sell ANYTHING without R&D first and PROOF later, trust me.

I Love when I hear people say "Thats just a hunk of metal I can make that for $5.00" I just say go ahead, have fun and you will see. LOL!

You can try to modify mine with something but there are NO guarantees. I have 4 icebox' left.

geno, thanks for the reply, i want one, but won't be able to get the $$$ til next week(i have some other obligations) please save one for me, at least til friday, i'd appreciate it, anyway am i right in saying the hole on yours is bigger?thats the only thing if that is the case modding it i think will be no prob. let me know and thanks BTW its good to see you posting again, i thought your work buried you alive LOL thanks again Jeff
:Beer

ONEBADMK8 said:
The problem with tupperware, plexiglasss..etc is they have no insulating charichteristics.

Our's does insulate, it was severely tested for 3 weeks under any and all heat conditions.

Heres a couple links to info about the ICEBOX when it was in it's R&D stages. I NEVER manufacture or sell ANYTHING without R&D first and PROOF later, trust me.

I Love when I hear people say "Thats just a hunk of metal I can make that for $5.00" I just say go ahead, have fun and you will see. LOL!

You can try to modify mine with something but there are NO guarantees. I have 4 icebox' left.

viiiball said:
geno, thanks for the reply, i want one, but won't be able to get the $$$ til next week(i have some other obligations) please save one for me, at least til friday, i'd appreciate it, anyway am i right in saying the hole on yours is bigger?thats the only thing if that is the case modding it i think will be no prob. let me know and thanks BTW its good to see you posting again, i thought your work buried you alive LOL thanks again Jeff
:Beer

I can hold one. The hole is sized for a K&N part# RE-0810.

Members online

No members online now.
Back