Lug Nuts replaced with Dorman 611-117

LDM

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I got my car back from getting new brakes and rear calipers etc, and 11 new Motorcraft lug nuts in the last 1-2 months. Needed to paint the new calipers. I bought 2 jack stands and hydraulic jack.

Went to pull the lugs Saturday night. My stock lug wrench would only fit 1 of the stock lugs. Got a 4 way, it would only fit one. I bought new 19mm, 20mm, 21mm and 13/16" deep 6pt 1/2" sockets, and a new long torque wrench with a 3" extension.

Had to use the 20mm socket on 19 stock lugs to get them off. Researched all night for new lugs. Went to 2 Walmarts, 1 Checkers, 2 O'Reilys, 2 Autozones. No one had Gorilla lugs. Since it was a Sunday early AM, no Chrysler dealership was open to get the Sebring lugs (Chrysler Sebring/Mitsubishi MB579290 manufacturer date of 4/1/97 or after).

Found 4 Dorman 611-117 lugs at 1 Autozone, and 16 more at another Autozone (after market equivalent of the Sebring MB579290).

I was concered about shank diameter and shank length.

These are soooo close in diameter that you can hardly feel any difference moving them in the wheel hole when jiggling them left and right, as compared to stock. (Shank diameter ok).

The shank length is longer on these. The stock lugs do not go through the wheel... so it does not hit the rotor and what causes the lugs to tighten is the pressure against the washer into the wheel, and then pulling the wheel against the rotor.

These new Dorman 611-117 lugs extend past the wheel. If you screw them all the way onto the bolts without the wheel on... they bottom out within a recess of the rotor at the bolts within 16+ turns on the rear rotors, and 15+ turns on the front rotors. With the wheels on, they tighten up at 15+ turns on the rear rotors, and 14+ turns on the front rotors (100 ft lbs). This means they do not hit the rotor, causing proper fitment pulling the lug washer into the wheel, and pulling the wheel against the rotor. (Shank length ok).

So these Dorman 611117 lug nuts fit and look great. They are nicer looking then the stock lug nuts, beefier looking, shinier, and solid (not a tin cap). I know people have used these before, but I have never seen an explanation about the effect it may have using the longer shank lug nut... hence my intial testing, and the findings have been given here.

The Motorcraft lug nuts (even the redesigned ones) are junk... even after a few months (they had been removed many times though for various maintenance performed by different shops).

The Dorman 611-117 lug nut says it uses a 21mm socket. I found the 13/16" fit a little more snug (use a 6pt socket, not a 12pt).

Now back to painting the rear calipers (black is done, getting ready for red).

Before/After pics with old/new lug nuts.

0911111554.jpg

0912111027_01.jpg

I just cut the chrome off of all my lug nuts, and painted them silver. I was tired of dealing with fords junk lugs.

LDM , What was the cost for all lugs? I'm about to do this. I have one stripped on the rear that had to happen the 2nd time it was at the body shop cuz they put my wheels on a month before and they were fine.

Additional info...

The stock lug wrench would only remove 1 lug nut (19mm).
The 20mm socket would remove the other lugs, but would not allow me to tighten them when putting them back on... as the stock tin lug nut cap just kept spinning. If you beat a 19mm socket onto it, it would not come back off, unless you removed it and the lug nut, and then put it in a vice... and beat it out with a hammer and a punch.

It was definitely not serviceable on the road if I had gotten a flat.

I see other threads where people had to tow their cars because of this same issue.

This has been stated before also in other threads, but if you have stock wheels... buy some new "non-stock" lug nuts, and a correct size lug wrench for your new lug nuts.

(Go to your car with your existing stock lug wrench and see how many lug nuts it will fit onto... and then see if it will loosen and then re-tighten the lug nut).

I've been using a socket on my 06. For some reason it didn't come with an iron. :confused: the one from my 00 was bent from me jumping on it one time when I had a flat on the road. I usually put a huge pipe on the iron for leverage but that wasn't in my bag of tricks that day. Lol. It's kinda funny now. I was really ticked that day. thankfully some guy with a service truck stopped and helped me. At that point of time I would have been happy to get a socket and breaker but I didn't argue !

I got this 1/2" drive Black Jack T36235W (by Torin Jacks) Adjustable Torque Wrench for $29 at Walmart, and a 13/16" 6pt 1/2" drive deep socket (or 21mm) at O'Reillys for $6, plus a 3" extension for $4. I put those in the trunk.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Torin-Jacks-1-2-Adjustable-Torque-Wrench/14560054
(When not used keep torque setting at low position)

You can spend a lot more for this type of wrench. I don't know how long this one will last, but it's been used 60 times since yesterday. (Once to get them off, once to put them on x 20 yesterday, then removed the rears today to paint the calipers).

So if you do best price shopping on the internet, you can get all this new: 20 Dorman 611-117 lug nuts at RockAuto for $57 shipped, $29 for the Torque Wrench, $6 for the socket, $4 for an extension... and spend just under $100.

OK, any ideas?

Went to Advance yesterday and got one of the Dorman 611-117 lug nuts. Won't work. The end of the wheel stud bottomed out in the capped end of the nut with the washer about 3/16 of an inch from touching the wheel.

Most likely wrong lug nut/wrong part.

I did multiple measurements before using a wrench on it, and it fit fine... same for others on this site from threads going all the way back to 2005 using these Dorman 611-117 lug nuts.

Actually the dorman went all the way and bottomed out onto the rotor inset itself and did not hit/bottom out on the stud even without the wheel installed... so for you to hit the end of the stud on the dorman lug with the wheel installed points to a basic flaw somewhere in the environment.

I'd make sure the part number is correct. Sounds like the wrong lug nut.
Was it in a sealed unopened bag, or loose or hole in the bag?

Are your wheel studs stock?
Are you using the stock wheels? Stock wheel w/exposed lug nuts or cap cover?

Can you take a picture of the stock lug and dorman lug you got side-by-side and post it?

It should look like this:

B000CIXLEW_01_MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Hmmm... I did multiple measurements before using a wrench on it, and it fit fine... same for others on this site from threads going all the way back to 2005 using these Dorman 611-117 lug nuts.

Actually the dorman went all the way and bottom out onto the rotor inset itself and did not hit/bottom out on the stud even without the wheel installed... so for you to hit the end of the stud on the dorman lug with the wheel installed points to a basic flaw somewhere in the environment.

I'd make sure the part number is correct. Was it in a sealed unopened bag, or loose or hole in the bag?

Are your wheel studs stock?
Are you using the stock wheels?

Can you take a picture of the stock lug and dorman lug you got and post it?

I'm not sure what the deal is. It was an un-opened, sealed bag. The guy at Advanced cut the bag open and let me try it before I needed to buy it. I could see up in the closed end that the end of the stud bottomed out. I'm not sure if they are the factory studs or not, the car when I bought it was exceptionally clean inside and out and didn't have any type of repairs or anything show up on the carfax and it was bought and serviced at the same lincoln dealership by the 2 previous owners. The wheels are the stock twin 5 spoke wheels that seem to be pretty common. I'm wondering if the different factory wheels may have a different thickness at the lug nuts. I'm going to have to take a wheel off and just get dimensions of everything. I'll get some pics soon and go from there. What a PITA!

I don't know how you can see up in the closed end of the lug nut that the stud bottomed out... unless you see friction/shiney spots where it rubbed or something.

Since these are a bit longer lug nuts... I would question that particular studs threads, they might be stripped from the wheel back or have a burr etc.

I would just try a different stud/replace a different lug nut on the car... check the threads.

Since mine went all the way past the rotor into an inset at the rotor with the wheel off and did not bottom out on the stud... it would appear you have stripped threads way back in there or longer studs.

I'm not sure what the deal is. It was an un-opened, sealed bag. The guy at Advanced cut the bag open and let me try it before I needed to buy it. I could see up in the closed end that the end of the stud bottomed out. I'm not sure if they are the factory studs or not, the car when I bought it was exceptionally clean inside and out and didn't have any type of repairs or anything show up on the carfax and it was bought and serviced at the same lincoln dealership by the 2 previous owners. The wheels are the stock twin 5 spoke wheels that seem to be pretty common. I'm wondering if the different factory wheels may have a different thickness at the lug nuts. I'm going to have to take a wheel off and just get dimensions of everything. I'll get some pics soon and go from there. What a PITA!

+1 on check the threads. not uncommon for the unused portion of threads to get a little beat up. especially if someone did not torque the lugs properly.. :eek:

Mine would not torque down at all by hand tools, just spun the tin cap on the stock lug nuts.

Check the threads. I bet they are flattened out, wore off, or stripped. Pull each wheel, check all stud threads.

I don't know how you can see up in the closed end of the lug nut that the stud bottomed out... unless you see friction/shiney spots where it rubbed or something.

Since these are a bit longer lug nuts... I would question that particular studs threads, they might be stripped from the wheel back or have a burr etc.

I would just try a different stud/replace a different lug nut on the car... check the threads.

Since mine went all the way past the rotor into an inset at the rotor with the wheel off and did not bottom out on the stud... it would appear you have stripped threads way back in there or longer studs.

Yeah, I looked inside the lugnut before I put it on then afterwards and could see where the end of the stud scratched the inside end.

Still check the threads.

Try a different stud and check it's threads back into the wheel and try the new lug nut.

Try a different corner of the car/wheel too... might have different studs.

Are these wheels still on your car? 17"? Your tires look pretty wide on your other exhaust thread.

I still say it's a flat spot or stripped thread, put a wrench on it and tighten it down.

profilepic16876_2.jpg

Yup, I still have the same wheels on the car. In my pic, the car had the stock size tires on it. I got a flat on a Sunday and all the tire dealer had was 245s instead of 235s so that's what's on the stock wheels on the car now.
But I understand what your saying. I just need to get the thing in the air and take each wheel off and run a die on each stud and go from there. Thanx for the help though. Damn thing baffles me!

Members online

No members online now.
Back