Lug nut Question

Kontrafakt 7

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i have a question i own a 2002 lincoln ls with the 7-spoke 16'' oem rims on it . I recently bought the 17'' sport oem rims and i was wondering if i will have any problems fitting them with the current lug nuts that i have on the 16's or do i have to buy new ones?

I don't know for sure. But I recently got a flat on my 2002 and when I went to break the nuts some were striped. I called the dealership and they said they needed to know what size rim I had so that they could give me the proper lug nut, which they can get from the VIN.

Now this could mean that either they are different or the dealership just needed the right number for the right car.

Other threads had discussions on the Lugs. Supposedly they are Gorilla lugs...not sure what that means but my factories have lasted me better than 2nd hand lugs...so I'm just ordering new OEM ones from my dealership for 36 bucks for all 4 tires....looks like mine are almost UNABLE to be taken off....so worn....so worn....

Other threads had discussions on the Lugs. Supposedly they are Gorilla lugs...not sure what that means but my factories have lasted me better than 2nd hand lugs...so I'm just ordering new OEM ones from my dealership for 36 bucks for all 4 tires....looks like mine are almost UNABLE to be taken off....so worn....so worn....

You are the only ass that would recommend the sh*t stock lugs over ANY others.

looks like mine are almost UNABLE to be taken off....so worn....so worn...

I guess that dont tell you something huh?

If you can find the tuner style lugs with a flat seat they are the best. They wont round down and they look great with wheels that dont have a cover over the lugs.

As far as the question on using the same lugs, they will be fine.

I also dont know what moron said they need the size of the wheel. The wheels size dont matter.

I just had bad experiences with past cars after 2nd hand lugs. You know any good ones for the stock 16" alloys then be my guest...but I dunno what aftermarket lugs are available for the stock wheels :p

You are the only ass that would recommend the sh*t stock lugs over ANY others.

I guess that dont tell you something huh?

If you can find the tuner style lugs with a flat seat they are the best. They wont round down and they look great with wheels that dont have a cover over the lugs.

As far as the question on using the same lugs, they will be fine.

I also dont know what moron said they need the size of the wheel. The wheels size dont matter.

That makes sense. The dealer said this was a common problem. It looks like the dealer needed to know what size rim for the right numbers in his catalog.

i just replaced mine with Gorilla lugs model 72137 (4 pack x5) they where 12mm x 1.50 short shank they also came with washers and fit just like stock without the sh1tty chrome covers. i just had a new set of tires put on and the tire dude said about 2-3 lugs per wheel where f!cked. they where able to get them off by hammering a flat screw driver to split the caps and rip them off, then they where able to put them back on no problem once the caps where off.

The size wouldn't matter, but the wheel design of the 16's was different, right? the 17's had exposed lugs, whereas the 16's did not. I believe they used different lug nuts depending on whether or not they were exposed.

If they are the exposed ones, get part# MB579290 from the chrysler dealer. Supposed to be for Chrysler Sebrings, but work perfectly with the LS. Way better quality than the OEM Lincoln ones. YOu will need to buy a different size socket to change the wheels though. I believe the stock ones were 20mm. The sebring ones are 21mm.

Supposedly they are Gorilla lugs...not sure what that means

the gorilla lugs are the brand name

just more proof that you should NOT BUY THE SAME SH!TTY LUGS THAT CAME ON THE CAR

oh yeh, if any one does buy the gorilla's, also buy a 4 way, because the factory tire iron wont fit any more

Do a search, I posted pictures of the Chrysler Sebring lugs compared to the OEMs. The Sebring lugs are solid. Not just covered. They are so much better than the OEM LS lugs there is no comparison.

oh yeh, if any one does buy the gorilla's, also buy a 4 way, because the factory tire iron wont fit any more

It depends on the tool but it is a good idea.

My tool has two different sized hex thing's on it ( like the head of a bolt?? ). The first is the smaller size and the second is the larger size so the larger tire iron fits over the first and onto the second.
If that makes sense?:shifty:

Pete your are correct that some have a cover that fits over the entire center and lugs but even still it dont matter. If you dont mind seeing the tip of the stud they all still fit and are made the same.

Some are the acorn style ( with the cap ) because they are exposed. I drove around with my stockers all winter and the standard shaped lugs. Didnt bother me at all but it may some people I guess.

Members online

Back