lubricate wheather-stripping

lking

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
this is meantiond alot on the scheduled maintenance booklet

what lubricate (one that doesnt stink ) could use to lubricate wheather strippings,hinges,latches and locks

where is the engine crankcase filter located how does it look like

this is meantiond alot on the scheduled maintenance booklet

what lubricate (one that doesnt stink ) could use to lubricate wheather strippings,hinges,latches and locks

where is the engine crankcase filter located how does it look like

I use this:

41mfJRTyY2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I don't think we have an engine crankcase filter.

Hinges and latches white Lithium spray grease, would not use anything on the key way other than clean with zero residue electrical contact cleaner. Weather striping, silicone, I use Mothers Back-to-Black.

Hinges and latches white Lithium spray grease, would not use anything on the key way other than clean with zero residue electrical contact cleaner. Weather striping, silicone, I use Mothers Back-to-Black.

+1

• Heavy Duty Silicone Spray from CRC on the weather striping ($5)
  • Back to black on trim ($6)
  • gummy pflege is used by a lot of bimmer people, so make your own choice there, but many people prefer silicone cause its readily available
  • you can use silicone on your windshield wipers too!

+1

• Heavy Duty Silicone Spray from CRC on the weather striping ($5)
  • Back to black on trim ($6)
  • gummy pflege is used by a lot of bimmer people, so make your own choice there, but many people prefer silicone cause its readily available
  • you can use silicone on your windshield wipers too!

Back to Black is an inferior product, IMHO. For exterior trim, I'd use, at the least, Black Wow. I prefer Ultima Trim and Tire Guard. I've heard of people using Klasse AIO, but haven't tried it myself on trim. There's also a great product out now by Car Pro now for exterior plastics. These nano coatings are the newest/best coating available. More money, but if you want the best:

http://www.cquartz.com/pages.php?page_id=69#prettyPhoto

Gummi Pfledge is used by a lot of ot just Bimmer people, but detailers in general. Great product, and relatively inexpensive.

Back to Black is an inferior product, IMHO. For exterior trim, I'd use, at the least, Black Wow. I prefer Ultima Trim and Tire Guard. I've heard of people using Klasse AIO, but haven't tried it myself on trim. There's also a great product out now by Car Pro now for exterior plastics. These nano coatings are the newest/best coating available. More money, but if you want the best:

http://www.cquartz.com/pages.php?page_id=69#prettyPhoto

Gummi Pfledge is used by a lot of ot just Bimmer people, but detailers in general. Great product, and relatively inexpensive.

When i searched for information on weather stripping maintenance suggestions, the overwhelming majority of gummi pfledge proponents were bmw owners. Just stuck in my mind that the two went together.

Isnt klasse aio a wax or polish....or some mixture of the two (hence the name) therefore wouldnt it be bad for trim? Just seems counter intuitive to put a wax on trim.

and yeah, back to black has left a lot to be desired, time to move onto better and blacker things. Thanks for the input.:cool:

KAIO is neither a "polish" nor a "wax". A polish by definition is an abrasive that is designed to remove surface imperfections ("swirl marks" and light scratches). What it does contain is chemical cleaners and resin fillers. I know websites say it contains a light polish, but I have yet to see it. Furthermore, since it contains no Carnauba, it is not a "wax." IIRC, it contains synthetic acrylic polymers similar to a paint sealant. I seem to recall using it on a wiper cowl with excellent results, but that was some time ago, so I can't endorse it's use on trim until I try it again.

So while I agree with your statement that it's counter-intuitive to put a traditional wax on plastic trim, I halfway disagree that it's counter-intuitive to use KAIO.

Pam works wonders for door seals, especially before a big freeze...
1001029_064144030217_A_400.jpg

Hinges get a couple drops of light oil or ATF, not WD40 or other penetrants.

Engine crankcase filter is the PCV valve not the oil filter!

It's neither. Some engines do have a crankcase filter. On some it's under the PCV valve, and others its on the air inlet to the crankcase. The 3.9 has neither a PCV valve or a filter. The 3.0 does have a PCV valve, but I don't think it has a filter. That maintenance schedule book covers most Ford cars, not just the LS.

It's neither. Some engines do have a crankcase filter. On some it's under the PCV valve, and others its on the air inlet to the crankcase. The 3.9 has neither a PCV valve or a filter. The 3.0 does have a PCV valve, but I don't think it has a filter. That maintenance schedule book covers most Ford cars, not just the LS.

I stand corrected. Never heard of that, though

would not use anything on the key way other than clean with zero residue electrical contact cleaner.
You can use a solid lube, like graphite, on the keyways. I have a spraycan of Blaster Graphite Dry Lube (http://www.blastercorporation.com/Graphite-Dry-Lube-MSDS.html) that uses a volatile carrier (tolulene/acetone) to get the graphite deep into the keyway, and it works wonders on household locks. (I almost never use the key locks on my LS, so I can't say if it does the same for them.)

I picked it up at Home Depot or Wal-Mart for a few bucks, and it was money well invested. Do be warned, though--there can be some blowback if you're not careful, and the graphite likes to stay where it lands...

31BEl7-BlSL[1].jpg

I stand corrected. Never heard of that, though

Crankcase filters used to be very common, back in the days of carburetors. They were often rectangular shaped and went into a pocket beside the big round air filter in the breather on top of the carburetor.

Members online

No members online now.
Back