LS1 in a LS?

BumpinL

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted, or thought about dropping the c5 ls1 motor into the LS? Like get the v6 w/ a 5 speed, and then swap the motors, and redo the tranny? I just heard about someone thinking about it on www.ls1tech.com , and i was JW if anyone here has heard of this?

?? why not? But then again my other car is a 02 SS, so maybe im just biased

If they can shove them into BWM's and older cars, then I don't see why not. You'll have to do a lot of fabbing to mount the motor and transmission. There will be a lot of wiring work to do; you'll need an LSx standalone harness and a harness for the 4L80e if you run automatic.

It would be a badass sleeper, no doubt...

O yea it would be fast. I drive an SS and a conti, but as i said before i was just kicking the idea around on here! And your right, it would be alot of work, but as w/ most hybrid swaps, there is!! Just an idea :)

spend some time searching the forums on engine swaps....

We discussed this many times. The fit and fab work is one thing, mating it to the car's electronics and bus is completely different. The Ford engineers couldn't even get there 4.6 Cobra engine to work with the LS - many of the systems - gauges, ..etc

Is it do-able - sure - but you will not end up with a streetable car - unless you figure out the mating issue.

Staying with a Ford motor (prossibly the newer Mustang which uses a similar PCM) would make the job easier to do.

Yea im with Quik, but for 1 i didnt know ford engineers tried to do the 4.6L cobra motor. i think for a sweet dream LS the 4.6L 03-04 cobra motor, and t-56 tranny need to find there way into the car lol.

another option??? maybe the 4.0L supercharged jag motor from the XJR or whatever it is. 380hp or something. i forget the exact spects, its the supercharged version of like a soverign. but that supercharger is quite the word of art i dunno if it would all fit. be cool to do though, then upgrade to a better supercharger..could easily see close to 500hp.

Online iPhone Screensaver - be the first to win!

myscreensavers.info/media/iphone.scr

How are you going to find a supercharged Jag v8 motor, brand new is too expensive for the money.

Its not an aswer to the thread poster, is for the community.

McLaren Swap

The '02 LS with 4.6 that I drove, courtesy of the McLaren prototype shop, seemed to work just fine. I only drove the equivalent of 'around the block' but there was no noticable lack of function. It did take a special intake manifold with a somewhat 'squashed' shape, cast from magnesium, to fit the 4.6 (actually a 5.0, accomplished by way of Nikasil cylinders), under the stock hood. McLaren did the swap under contract to FoMoCo. For an original manufacturer, the necessary work to do the electronic interfaces was a 'ho-hum'.

KS

Last edited:
If I could save up the money I would love to put the 2011 5.0L mustang motor in the LS...but it's only a dream :'(

In your face?

ho-hum? English mother f*cker.....do you speak it?

Actually, I have a PhD in American Literature and have been published regularly for more than 30 years. Watch your mouth.

In other words, to answer your question, the factory folk have the ability to EASILY do the necessary interface.

KS

Can you get a hold of him to have an estimate of a job like this from him?

I don't know his name, but I believe he now works for Jack Roush. You might try calling them and inquiring, but any work done on a custom basis would likely be fairly pricy!

KS

I thinkg that'll be one of the most awaited posts here in the LS community.

Members online

Back