LS Speaker upgrade question

bootlegpass

LVC Member
Reaction score
I searched this forum before posting but came up empty. It's probably my fault but I'm not too good when it comes to trying to find stuff. I apologize in advance for troubling anyone.

My 2001 LS came with the standard stereo (no alpine) and sounds crappy. I purchased the following items:

2 pair::: Rockford Fosgate Prime 165-s component speakers (6 1/2 woofer with 1 1/2 dome tweeter) which I willl use to replace the OEM door speakers.

So far, this is all I've purchased. I'm in my forties now and want a reasonably clean, great sounding system but not competition grade. A looooong time ago, I dabbled in car stereo when the Rockford Punch 150 was the animal- ( I had 4 in an s-10). It sounded awesome but I had like 5k invested, and that was 25 years ago.

My design goal is this: I have an OEM Alpine head unit from a 2002 LS that I plan to use, I also have the factory subs/amp from same car. To keep things looking factory, I want to use these components. However, I have never used anything but caps, coils, and chokes to build a passive crossover and wish to go with an active electronic crossover so I don't have to design and use trial and error to get a good tune.

Before you guys get excited and tell me it's not worth it, and if I'm going to all the trouble of doing this, I should get another head unit and go all out, I would like to point out that I have been fighting Leukemia since last April and, to say the least, money is tight. That doesn't mean I'm destitute, but being careful and using this as a starting point. I can always add a head unit and separate sub box down the road.

Using these components, what would be the best setup? By this I mean how to set up an electronic crossover to work with this system. I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys in the modern car audio world. When all of this started in late 80's, I pretty much had it down and helped many of my buddies build (for that time period) quality systems. But now, this old dog needs to learn the new tricks.
Thanks in advance,
Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I figured out why I'm getting no response........ posted in wrong place, huh? Just like a NOOB!!!!! Would a moderator or admin care to move this to the LS specific forum? Again, thanks for any help and I apologize for the gaff.

Members online

No members online now.
Back