LS Rear Brake Pads Length

LS 2006

LVC Member
Reaction score
I find that the rear NAPA brake pads with the stainless slide inserts in place are too long. Anyone else have this condition with NAPA pads and slide inserts?

If the proberbial shoe fits, is it an issue?

Call and check with Auto Zone, O'Reilly Auto Parts, Pep Boys, etc and if they've got 'em stocked, have 'em go measure for you. That should settle the matter, right?

According to Brad on thunderbird.com (06-05-2010), "Ford no longer recommends using the "rattle clips" on the rear calipers and the new pads are slightly longer than the original to accommodate the clips being gone. ...... Ford doesn't sell the clips anymore either with the new pads or separate. .... I (Brad) ended up buying a ceramic set at Autozone that came with the clips but the pads were the new bigger ones and they didn't fit if you used the clips."

My recent experience (April 2014) is the same as Brad's -- too bad no one in Ford parts told me that the newer pads were longer. and the clips were not needed.

According to Brad on thunderbird.com (06-05-2010), "Ford no longer recommends using the "rattle clips" on the rear calipers and the new pads are slightly longer than the original to accommodate the clips being gone. ...... Ford doesn't sell the clips anymore either with the new pads or separate. .... I (Brad) ended up buying a ceramic set at Autozone that came with the clips but the pads were the new bigger ones and they didn't fit if you used the clips."

My recent experience (April 2014) is the same as Brad's -- too bad no one in Ford parts told me that the newer pads were longer. and the clips were not needed.
That explains why I had to grind my rear pads to get them to fit!

I just inspected the rear brakes on my '04 this past weekend and greased the caliper slider pins. The car is very low mileage for its age and the brakes are as supplied by the factory. They did not have the SS pad slider covers (or rattle clips) on the mounting brackets. The outer edges of the pad's backing plate ride directly on the caliper mounting brackets. Ford must have changed something at the factory along the way. Maybe yet another revision with the Gen II cars?

Members online

No members online now.
Back