LS Misfires...coil problem?

Bengal313

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I searched the site and found most of the answers but still want to make sure.

At idle my car jerks and misfires slightly. I had the same problem last year and took it to the dealer and they replaced some bad coils and gasket because oil got into it. Needless to say I paid an arm and a leg. I really don't want to go to the dealer.

Can this be done by a local neighborhood mechanic?
He is pretty good with cars.

Is it easy to do?

Should I get a computer reading for Autozone? If yes,

What code should I be looking for?

The coils, how do I know which is coil is which number?

Is there any online tutorial on how to do this?

What else if anything I should replace?

Where is the best online place to get the parts?

If you have even a little mechanical ability and some patience and a few tools, you can do it yourself. Autozone check should tell you which cylinder(s). They're numbered---front to back---1,2,3,4 on pass side and 5,6,7,8 on driver's side.
KS

This is probably not your situation. But, I had a similar problem last year. It turned out that the mechanic had not properly placed the air inlet hose back on tightly. So it was causing an air leak and the car to misfire and jerk. So you may want to check that just to be sure.

Check the code for sure. If it's one of the coils on the exposed side of the engine, I wouldn't pay anybody to replace that - it's simple. The other side, well that's another story and probably up to your own discretion.

Coil replacement is a very basic procedure.
Tech article: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/IgnitionCoilV8/
Unless the CEL has come on autozone will not be able to tell you which cylinder is misfiring. But if you want, you can order all 8 coils on ebay (several other members have done so and have reported good results) for about $150 plus shipping, and just do them all.

I Don't know what to do with my02 lincoln ls v8! code p0352 won't disappear!!!!

I already did this:
CHANGE VALVE COVER GASKET
CHANGE SPARK PLUG
CHANGE IGNITION COIL B (#2)
CHANGE FUEL INJECTOR

But still I have the code!!!!

PLEASE ANYONE HELP!!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE

where can you get all 8 coils for 150? i know ebay, but a link?

I searched the site and found most of the answers but still want to make sure.

At idle my car jerks and misfires slightly. I had the same problem last year and took it to the dealer and they replaced some bad coils and gasket because oil got into it. Needless to say I paid an arm and a leg. I really don't want to go to the dealer.

Can this be done by a local neighborhood mechanic?
He is pretty good with cars.

Is it easy to do?

Should I get a computer reading for Autozone? If yes,

What code should I be looking for?

The coils, how do I know which is coil is which number?

Is there any online tutorial on how to do this?

What else if anything I should replace?

Where is the best online place to get the parts?

WOW, finally SOME ONE WITH THE SAME ISSUE, i just posted in the RPM thread, ok so i guess this is common, and yes it should be a coil, i drove with the misfiring for about a hour and then finally a CEL came on, so ill read the code and let you know, but i know how you feel, do you hear the subwoofer bass sound vibrate the whole car, the sound sounds like its coming out of the exhaust. im going to replace ALL coils and plugs

P.S. this is a job you can do yourself, the hardest part is getting the valve cover off, but if you already replaced the gasket, and there is no sign of oil, i would just do the coils and plugs, 3 hour job- few bolts

I Don't know what to do with my02 lincoln ls v8! code p0352 won't disappear!!!!

I already did this:
CHANGE VALVE COVER GASKET
CHANGE SPARK PLUG
CHANGE IGNITION COIL B (#2)
CHANGE FUEL INJECTOR

But still I have the code!!!!

PLEASE ANYONE HELP!!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE

damn how many threads did you copy and paste this in? i cant get it out my head now:eek:

Members online

No members online now.
Back