LS Fuel Filter

Fordman

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know where the fuel filter is?? I looked all under the car can't find it.....

Onthe drivers side there is a lower skirt that is holding the splash guard on. You then need to remove the plastic clips and the fuel filter will be on your right when you look into the fenderwell.

ONEBADMK8 said:
Onthe drivers side there is a lower skirt that is holding the splash guard on. You then need to remove the plastic clips and the fuel filter will be on your right when you look into the fenderwell.

Okay, Thanks, so your talking about that little flap in front of the rear tire??? Thats what I'm thinking.

Fordman said:
Okay, Thanks, so your talking about that little flap in front of the rear tire??? Thats what I'm thinking.
it's the plastic liner inside the front (driver's side) wheel well. the fuel filter is located on the lower back side on the inside of the wheel well.

the plastic liner just pulls out with a handful of the plastic mold clippings.

Quik LS, Have you ever changed your fuel filter? I would like to start maintenance upkeep on my LS. I'd rather not pay Lincoln dealership $50 to replace a cabin filter (which I did for about $17), or other things.. If you have changed your fuel filter.. care to share the important points?

LBK_LS said:
Quik LS, Have you ever changed your fuel filter? I would like to start maintenance upkeep on my LS. I'd rather not pay Lincoln dealership $50 to replace a cabin filter (which I did for about $17), or other things.. If you have changed your fuel filter.. care to share the important points?
yes - I do a 'get ready for racing season' weekend of brackes, filters, fliuds every spring.

The fuel filter is just like any other fuel filter to change - except for the funny location - and was easy to change.

Quik LS, you said that changing your fuel filter is easy, but since the fuel in the fuel system remains under high pressure even when the engine is not running. Shouldn't there be a relief in pressure before repairing or disconnecting any of the fuel lines or fuel system components. So that the fuel system pressure doesn't accidental spraying of fuel, causing personal injury or a fire hazard??? Would I need a fuel pressure gauge?

LBK_LS said:
Quik LS, you said that changing your fuel filter is easy, but since the fuel in the fuel system remains under high pressure even when the engine is not running. Shouldn't there be a relief in pressure before repairing or disconnecting any of the fuel lines or fuel system components. So that the fuel system pressure doesn't accidental spraying of fuel, causing personal injury or a fire hazard??? Would I need a fuel pressure gauge?

Believe it or not - the fuel line does not stay under high pressure when the car is off. I have changed the fuel filter and even cut into the fuel line to add a A-Pillar pressure gauge - neither time did I relieve any pressure , nor did but a drop or two of gas drip out.

You say you don't need any special tools - don't you need those special tools to disconnect the fuel lines?

To take apart the schrader valve (near the fuel rail) you do need a spring lock tool - I bought mine from AutoZone for a couple of $. I needed to take the fuel line off when I cut into it for my A-Pillar fuel gauge.

The filter uses an R-Clip to attach to the fuel line. Here is the procedure to remove the R-Clip (no special tools needed):
    1. Remove the shipping tab by bending it downward.
    2. Spread the R-clip legs and push the clip into the fitting.
    3. Separate the fitting from the tube.
Installation

1. Inspect the fitting and the tube for damage. Remove any dirt or obstructions.
  2. Apply a light coat of clean SAE 5W30 Motor Oil XO-5W30-QSP meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C153-G to the male tube end.
  3. Insert the R-clip into the fitting.
  4. Align the tube and the fitting.
  5. Insert the tube into the fitting and push together until a click is heard.
  6. Pull on the connection to make sure it is fully engaged.

Here is the procedure to replace the fuel filter - I skipped the simple step (jack up the car, take off the tire, ...etc):
  1. Remove the left wheel well splash shield screws and pin-type fasteners.
  2. Disconnect the fuel line R-clip fittings.
  3. Remove the bolt at the fuel filter (9155) bracket and remove the filter.
  4. If necessary, separate the filter from the bracket for reuse.
NOTE: When the battery is disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 km (10 miles) or more to relearn the strategy.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

honestly - it's a 30min job

Last edited:

Members online

Back