Ls 2005 cranking not starting

Cronos

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'll keep it quick and simple. I've already searched through the forums and could not find answers.

My Lincoln randomly couldn't start one morning while I drove it fine the night before, it cranks but doesn't start. The stereo comes on fine and I've tried jump starting so I know it isn't the battery. I had it towed to pep boys and they said they checked fuel pump pressure and it was fine, they took out some spark plugs and it ignited. So they said it wasn't plugs or fuel pump. They put the spark plugs back in and the car started up for no reason. The guy said they didn't know what was wrong and it might be a faulty inertia button or faulty sensor on the engine that's not giving off a code. Today I woke up and the car cannot start yet again. I need help!

You really need to put it on a good scan tool and find out what's happening. Meanwhile, unplug the MAF and see if it will start then.

Where can I get a good scan tool? And when I get home I'll disc the mas and see if itl start

I unhooked the mass air flow sensor and still nothing but cranking

I unhooked the mass air flow sensor and still nothing but cranking

It was worth a shot (in the dark). Any other guesses would also be shots in the dark without some diagnostic info from the OBDII.

Pepboys told me the engine didn't show any errors, I guess I'm gonna have to bring it to Lincoln :/

Pepboys told me the engine didn't show any errors, I guess I'm gonna have to bring it to Lincoln :/

Never ever go to Pep Boys. They don't know what they're doing. I've seen them break more cars than they fix.

try an 'elm327' (ebay/amazon/etc) if you have a smartphone, but dont expect to get it anytime soon since it usually comes from china on a slow boat. gotta buy the 'torque' app to use it.. youre prolly lookin @ $20 or so.

joegr is right, i would get some maf cleaner before i got it diagnosed. i wouldnt rule out the battery quite yet, get it checked if pep boys didnt already check it. just pull it and take it to auto part store when you get that can of maf-cleaner

I bought some mas cleaner, I'll clean it now and post results

try an 'elm327' (ebay/amazon/etc) if you have a smartphone, but dont expect to get it anytime soon since it usually comes from china on a slow boat. gotta buy the 'torque' app to use it.. youre prolly lookin @ $20 or so.

joegr is right, i would get some maf cleaner before i got it diagnosed. i wouldnt rule out the battery quite yet, get it checked if pep boys didnt already check it. just pull it and take it to auto part store when you get that can of maf-cleaner

Bought on ebay mine from a seller in NY and got it in three days. You just have to look at the item location. You pay 2-3 bucks more but its worth not having to wait a month for it.

Cleaned the mas. Still won't start. The cranking doesn't sound like its slower, dumb thing just won't start

just curious, what are you trying to jump it with?

Bought on ebay mine from a seller in NY and got it in three days. You just have to look at the item location. You pay 2-3 bucks more but its worth not having to wait a month for it.

oh ok, i wasnt in any hurry so i probably paid no attention to the more expensive ones. good call. what version did you get? mines 1.4 and wont read ford abs codes, not sure if a better version will do the trick or not. i didnt know we had a taurus with an abs light on when i got it..

Cleaned the mas. Still won't start. The cranking doesn't sound like its slower, dumb thing just won't start

Could it be an issue with the PATS system? Try a new key or turn the key to 'on' position and back quite a few times.

oh ok, i wasnt in any hurry so i probably paid no attention to the more expensive ones. good call. what version did you get? mines 1.4 and wont read ford abs codes, not sure if a better version will do the trick or not. i didnt know we had a taurus with an abs light on when i got it..

Mine can't and from what I read it is a limitation of Torque, which doesn't have the PID code to read the other sensors on the car. If someone knew or wrote them and uploaded them to the app it might be able to read it. I could be wrong its been a while since I read anything about it.

Could it be an issue with the PATS system? Try a new key or turn the key to 'on' position and back quite a few times...

Never say never, but any PATS issue should also keep the starter from activating.

Do you have anything on the vehicle that is aftermarket/nonstock?

replace the fuel filter this happen to me before but i kept blowing fuses replaced fuel filter and fixed the issue

Members online

No members online now.
Back