LS 2000 Rear Right brake light failure

rcook

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, I've been trying to repair a faulty rear brake light with no success. Quick history: ALL other rear lights are working, changed bulb(thinking one side of the dual element might be bad), checked and replaced fuse(even though fuse appeared not blown), changed wiring harness (thinking maybe broke wire or short in wiring harness).All produced same result, still no brake light. I did have it working a couple times so I'm thinking and asking for advice. Is this a ground problem? If so could it be in the REM? I don't think it is in the harness or socket since I've tried that. Could the REM be bad to the right brake light only? Last but not least, how/where would I find a schematic to show me the ground wire leaving the REM? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. It's the wife's car and registration due end of June and in the state of Texas an inspection is still required, no pass = no registration and I'm not a fan of taking this to the dealer to be racked over the coals.

In regards to the REM, I've read you cannot just replace it. The data from the original must be uploaded prior to removal and then downloaded to the replacement as these are specific to the vehicle?

Thanks,
RC

Yes, it's possible it could be the REM. The REM switches the "ground" on and off to each bulb to turn it on or off. The battery feed (+12V) to the bulbs is on the whole time the car is awake. You have or have not replaced the bulb socket? I can post the schematics tonight if I have time.
You do not have to upload/download to change out the REM. You just need to find one from the same generation (same year is even better), and the same configuration (V6 or V8). The LS missed the "as-built" Ford thing...

That is great news on the REM ! Yes I did change the bulb socket. I will post up after changing out the REM. Thanks very much.

It was the REM ! Went to local U Pull It and bought 2 for $19.98 each not knowing if either would be any good. VICTORY is Sweet, thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back