Low mileage 05 3.9 ETC Fail Safe Mode

nghtshd88

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up another LS, 05 3.9 with only 48k miles on it. Was a grandmas car, only owner, she took care of it very well but it wasnt really driven much at all since last year. Original COPs plugs etc as its such low mileage..

Anyway was driving at about 30mph light on the pedal. Gave it a bit of gas and felt a faint rumble. Sure enough it totally loses all power. I creep to a stop and the engine is shaking like crazy till I shut it off. Turn it back on 30secs later and its fine.. no CEL.

-Idle is totally fine
-Light on the throttle OR flooring it its smooth and strong.
-If I give it like half throttle its shaking like crazy on me.

Ive read this is the TPS or COP's but people have changed the whole throttle body? Can I just try the TPS alone? I wasnt expecting to change any COP's at 48k miles!!! (If I do anyway what brand is still available?, I used BWD from advanced auto on my v6) Going to check for any cowl leaks even though it hasnt rained in weeks. My trans shifts great (surprised) no confusion or crashing into gear so I dont think that caused it.

Two things I would change..........the COPs,plugs,AND the fuel filter. That could be the original filter,and it might be pretty contaminated. don-ohio :)^)

Fuel filter I would anyway but dont think a fuel delivery issue would cause or throw that? Being its fine at WOT. My other LS had an failing fuel pump no ETC failsafe.

you are describing the last two times that happened to me. both times I had coils starting to go bad.

you are describing the last two times that happened to me. both times I had coils starting to go bad.

I just really didnt expect bad coils at such low mileage. Hope it is just coils. Was it Visteon that made the replacements?

sounds like coils to me and my experience, but others are definitely more knowledgeable.

Coil #4 is freaking out the PCM with EM interference, triggering the false throttle position sensor and throttle body CEL.

ETC Engine Fail Safe mode + P2107 and P2110 codes = Bad coil on #4 causing EM interference to the PCM.

I went through this ... wait ... I bought an 04 LSE from someone that was pissed off at the local dealership after having parted with 2700$ for a brand new installed Throttle body and Position sensor to only have it still go into Fail Safe Mode thereafter. (some other work was done also but nothing fixed it)

Knowing this issue, I bought it on the cheap and brought it home with a bucking transmission. Yeah I stopped and restarted a couple of times but it'd go back in Fail Safe mode if I throttled it too much. Drove it home slowly on an old back road out of service highway with my buddy's borrowed dealer plate. 10 minute drive at the most. Followed by the little lady with jumper cables and booster pack. It had a bad battery also.

First thing I did was pull coil and plug in #4 and swapped it out with some known good coil I had from another LS.

SOLVED the problem INSTANTLY.

then followed with all brand new VISTEON coils and NGK 5464 BKR5EIX-11 IX Iridium plugs gapped to 1.0mm

VISTEON coils are no longer, you'll have to put OEM Ford DG529's in there.

Test coil #4 with a good known to be working coil and see for yourself.

For your interests: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...-today&p=2037392420&viewfull=1#post2037392420

PS: changing out fuel filters has never been known to fix any Engine Fail Safe mode issues! That's would simply be a well wished bubble gum solution as best.

... Was it Visteon that made the replacements?

Visteon 60-1008 for the V8's ... can't get them anymore. :(

attachment.jpg

for your interests: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...-today&p=2037392470&viewfull=1#post2037392470

PS: https://www.google.ca/?ion=1&espv=2#q=Visteon+60-1008

You'll see a lot of ads for them but if you call around, no one seems to have stock. They are discontinued.

If you do find some please do let me know, I'd gladly restock some more.

I just really didnt expect bad coils at such low mileage. Hope it is just coils. Was it Visteon that made the replacements?

Stop being hung up on mileage. The car is eleven or twelve years old. She probably took a lot of short trips, so they may have as many hot/cold cycles on them as someone else with 150K miles.

grandmas car, she probably did some foot to the floor driving to get to church and the bingo's ... don't laugh I've seen them old folks haul ass.

It isn't going into ETC Engine Fail Safe mode anymore for the OP, still suspect coils as the main culprit though.

Got a 06 Garage Queen previous owed, with only 41k a year ago. 3 weeks later ETC Fail Safe Mode came on. Went thru this with Joe.

SOLUTION + Change ALL the Coil packs, and Plugs while you are in there. Problem Ended

there is no pack of coil on an LS... but you already knew that.

About 20 or more changed you're right. You got me. Turning on the Troll tracker now.

PS: I owe you one.:)

Waiting for my coils and plugs this week. As I had guessed the cowl was leaking. Not only at the wipers but the seal came off the cowl and it was pouring onto coil #4.

Members online

Back