Looking for extra tips before changing tie rods

Scallywag

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm about to get started on changing the front inner and outer rods and am more looking to make sure I have the right socket sizes with this basic tool set I have from AutoCraft or if I have to buy extras

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-140-pc-socket-set-ac336/9010510-P#

and not to mention the right special tools.

For this job I have:
cotter pins
needle nose
ITR rental tools from AZ
channel locks
hammer
10" 3/8 extension on top of the one that came with the AC set

no breaker bar....

some more that wont come to mind.

I searched here and the other forums but cant recall the search criterias i used that took me to the threads that outlined what I'm asking for.

Spanks a lot!!!

Don't need rental tool, crescent will get it. Just check for the pin in the ITR

mark the threads where your tie rod locking nut and and the end of the tie rod on the rack before removal so you can tighten the new one down to the same threads so your alignment isn't too far off after the install. I just use one of those silver sharpies. saves a whole heck of a lot of time when it comes to alignment too.

Just check for the pin in the ITR

I started about an hour ago and took a moment to read on it a bit more after putting it on stands and now cant take off to get the "spiral pin removal" tool so there goes that idea.....

The cotter pins on the OTRs were easy to remove, however the studs on both sides are reluctant to come out of the steering knuckles. I jacked up the axles a bit and put the hammer to no avail. Right now I'm letting them soak in WD40 in hopes that they give in.

smack the rear edge of the Sleeve where the OTR fits thru. This will jar the pivot loose. Not hitting the Rod itself, but the sleeve of the Upright

Thanks for the heads up!

Got it all done and the only thing left is to get it aligned. Replacement rods measured the same as the ones going out so I measured 3cm from the top thread of the ITR to the top of the position nut and mirrored that to the new ones.

Steering wheel is sliiightly to the right and so I don't know if I should take off the assembly and screwing in the psngr side OTR a bit more in or just have it don't professionally. I should've done the Sway Bar Links as well since the bushings on both of em are gone and still clanking a little, so I suppose I'm not finished with the front end yet.

In any event, this marks(pun) another fix I've been able to do by myself thanks to the search function here and the other places.

Spanks! :)

I should've done the Sway Bar Links as well since the bushings on both of em are gone and still clanking a little, so I suppose I'm not finished with the front end yet.
----
if your car has over 100k, and all the front is original, replace everything, now...I replaced everything on mine last Spring, except fwd SRBs,,,10k miles later I'm finally replacing the fwd SRBs. I should have done it ALL at the same time
The mech doing the alignment should set the wheel straight. Make sure they know about the eccentric washer to set the alignment on the rear wheels, most are not aware of that

Members online

Back