Look What Salt Does After Just 46k Miles

All2kool

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
From a 2000 LS, in New York.

It is so pretty on the outside.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172378771349?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Rusty_2000.jpg

Rusty_2000b.jpg

And 15 years...

When we lived in SLC I would clean off the undercarriage at least a couple of times a month to clean off all the salt residue.

Are you new to the salted area?

Im in Michigan, this looks like 90% of the cars that have been on the road for 5+ years in this crap. I wash my cars in the Winter at least twice a week, doesn't help much, but its something at least.

From a 2000 LS, in New York.

Actually looks worse then if it was from Ontario, CDN

Don't you three have other car forums to be posting on? :p

Haha ..

tried undercoating (oil spraying)?

Might as well bring water to the ocean at this point. You can start poking holes in that soon with a screwdriver.
New car, yes. That thing in NY is done.

sidenote;
My 01 showed some mild rust having gone through a few winters when I purchased it.
I cleaned it up and did the entire undercoat and wells with PROFORM European Texture Rubberized Gravlguard.

rust01.jpg

rust02.jpg

rust03.jpg

rust04.jpg

... now I just keep it in the garage. :confused:

rust01.jpg

rust02.jpg

rust03.jpg

rust04.jpg

Yeah, its not neglect. It happens thanks to the salt. Rinse all you want (I did), but you can never get it all out from the inside of the panels. It rots from the inside out.

Its neglect on the part of NYS DOT, the use of Magnesium Chloride and Calcium Chloride to keep all road snow free after storms just wrecks cars. Mine looks worse underneath, of course its gone 190,000 miles up and down the Thruway.

Its neglect on the part of NYS DOT, the use of Magnesium Chloride and Calcium Chloride to keep all road snow free after storms just wrecks cars. Mine looks worse underneath, of course its gone 190,000 miles up and down the Thruway.

must be... mine spent its first 6 years in Wisconsin, looked just fine underneath...

Members online

No members online now.
Back