Long-Term Strange Misfire Fixed!

lsbit

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I thought I would post my findings here. I have had a strange misfire on my Sport LS since I have had it. I wasn't sure if it was even a misfire. It shook upon startup but didn't feel bad or harshly buck upon acceleration like the usual coil problem most of us have faced. I had people tell me it was possible I had a sticking valve/bad guide. I guess a certain batch of 3.9s had this issue. You really wouldn't notice it when the car was warm. I thought maybe it was an injector and the computer did tell me I had a cylinder #3 misfire. I replaced that coil twice and finally decided to swap two injectors around to see if the error moved. The check engine light never came back on, so I ignored the problem.

Well, I got a bug up my butt and said, wth...I ordered an injector for $6x.00 from Rock Auto and it came yesterday in a Ford Motorcraft box. I swapped out the injector this morning and it seems to have fixed the problem! No shaking on startup and the car has more power. Not only that, my mileage started increasing today as I drove it. I am shocked. I am glad I went at it with the shotgun approach. :) I never had a problem with it starting hot, so I don't think the injector was leaking, but hard to say.

I found that you can check for leaking injectors by lifting the rail to get the injectors out of their bores, as they will stay in the rail with the help of the clips. Of course, when lifting the rail or moving the injectors in any way, be sure your fuel pressure is 0. Build the pressure after you have the injectors out of the bores. I didn't see any leaks. Bleed the pressure before lowering the rail to install the injectors in their bores.

It took me over an hour to get the injectors out the first time, but about 15 minutes the second. :) When I swapped the injectors, I made sure to move the one I thought was bad to the end of the rail for easy access. :)

ANYWAY...I think it is time to start modding now. :D

That sounds like a lot of work. Glad it's running great for you now.

and yea, TIME TO MOD!

Thanks for the positive comments all.

GrayGhost1 said:
I like that statement! What 'cha got planned?

Come over your house with a 6 pack and see what we can do with it. :) :)

I do want a monochrome look, inside and out. This is why I was really wanting the color LS I have. I was thinking of tinting the wood to make it look more black than brown, possibly tint the tail lights, clear the headlights, K&N filter setup of some sort, SCT X tuner, pillar inserts, tint the windows, and upgrade the speakers. No plans for wheels/tires in the near future. I really love the ride right now, so I don't think I am going to mess with the suspension.

We are closing on a house in less than a month and will probably move in a month or two, so money is going toward paint and furniture and other home-type items for right now though.

lsbit said:
Thanks for the positive comments all.

Come over your house with a 6 pack and see what we can do with it. :) :)

I do want a monochrome look, inside and out. This is why I was really wanting the color LS I have. I was thinking of tinting the wood to make it look more black than brown, possibly tint the tail lights, clear the headlights, K&N filter setup of some sort, SCT X tuner, pillar inserts, tint the windows, and upgrade the speakers. No plans for wheels/tires in the near future. I really love the ride right now, so I don't think I am going to mess with the suspension.

We are closing on a house in less than a month and will probably move in a month or two, so money is going toward paint and furniture and other home-type items for right now though.
If you get your windows tinted see The Tint Master off of 17th street. They have tinted every car I've ever owned. If you pay cash you can get them as dark as you want. :gr_devil:

As for the other items come on over and we'll think of something.

Members online

No members online now.
Back