lock frozen on open

Mr. Bob

New LVC Member
Reaction score
For about 2 years I have not been able to lock the left-side doors on my 2002 Lincoln Continental. (I don't know if the two locks failed at the same time.) Both manual pins are frozen in the up position; and when I hit the power lock/unlock buttons both latch mechanism click and both pins shudder as though as though the actuators are trying to function. BTW, the pins and power buttons on both right-side doors work perfectly.

I took the rear door panel off and see that the horizontal rod from the pin swivel to the latch is stuck. I also popped the rivet on the actuator and, with the actuator now free to move, it moves up and down when the power buttons are pressed. So I think the actuator is OK but the locking mechanism of the latch is frozen. Fortunately it is frozen in the open position so both doors open and close naturally.

Since the cylinder (is that the right word?) itself seems to be frozen I filled it up with WD-40 and now see slight (1/2 inch) movement of the horizontal rod, but not enough to lock the door. So ... I'm now trying to decide if I should leave the doors alone or replace all of the locking mechanism, except for the actuator.

I'm looking for help (likely diagnosis / fix / cost) for this decision. Thanks for reading this overly long post.

Members online

No members online now.
Back