LMS muffler question

Modular97LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
how the hell do I make these louder? I have stock exhaust and I replaced the stock muffs with LMS ones. But the sound is weak....im not getting that WHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! sound that you guys know about. Now the question is, if I replace the resonator for and X pipe will I make the exhaust system louder? or will the X pipe kill more of the sound that it doesnt have. I need ur inputs.

Get an X pipe in place of the resonator, that'll wake everyone up

If that's not loud enough, get glass packs instead of the LMS mufflers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbGOsHKjTYI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ah! Key words here are "in place of"! When Marvin asked me a couple days ago to just install an X-pipe. I remembered that other members on here told me an x-pipe will help get rid of the raspy flap noise out back & NOT make it louder. So in essence, removing the resonator is what makes it lounder, then the x-pipe just brings down the flappy noise & some drone correct?

Holy sh!t...Every time I read something about the exhaust, it's something different!
Is there a thread that tells everything about everything???

How do you make a single exhaust into duels without drone?

How do you make a single exhaust into a true duel exhaust and still be as quiet as factory? (Oh yeah...I like quite :))

What's better "H", "X", "XX", 2", 3".....WTF!

Everybody seem's to have a different opinion! Some like it loud and some like it soft! Let's put it all in one spot! :)

Is there any chance of starting a thread and calling it "Exhaust Questions"???

The whole point of this is to do true dual exhaust. Of course it's quiet with a stock system, put real duals on and see the difference.

Have none of you ever played an instrument in school??

Think of your exhaust system as your cars Wind Instrument , different lengths, pipe wall thickness, pipe diameter, pipe material and "valving" are all going to make its unique sound..

The question "what sounds better" is about as vague as "what type of chick has the nicest boobs"

Sorry but it seems you need to to learn how to research things the most. This is probably the most discussed topic on here and to be a member for years and have 539 post. Oh well. If you just want it louder for the least amount of money and work just remove the rear mufflers and put in straight pipe. Many here have done it and there are videos with sound on you tube. That doesn't mean its the best for sound or performance. Sound is subjective so you will get many opinions but in this case the only one that matters is yours. As far as performance there are many facts some subjective but most are just facts. But the performance will never be better than the most restrictive point in the exhaust. For the best performance many here say you need 2 1/2" mandrel bent duals and a X-Pipe with low restrictive mufflers Personally it looks to me if your going to run the stock manifolds and cats that 2 1/4" would do just as well. The most accepted and cost effective improvement is removing the third cat and replacing it with an X-Pipe then duals back to the mufflers of your choice. But Sapperfire is so right the sound is a product of the whole exhaust system. If you want a desired sound you need to do some research.

Don I researched and didnt find what I was looking for...plus what better way to learn from you old ranked experienced folks. Ok so the X pipe it is....I already knew that I needed an X pipe but I was just making sure before I spent money on something else and then it not working. What I really should do is replace the whole exhaust to 2 1/2 from the cats back with the X pipe in place of the resonator but I dont know an exhaust shop that would charge me a reasonable price. Every exhaust place that I go to try to milk me. I paid 100 dollars to just put on the LMS mufflers so imagine if I had to replace the whole exhaust. BTW thank you Don for your input and sorry for wasting your time.

Move to Texas. I'll weld that junk up cheap for an LVC member.. :D

Don I researched and didn't find what I was looking for...plus what better way to learn from you old ranked experienced folks. OK so the X pipe it is....I already knew that I needed an X pipe but I was just making sure before I spent money on something else and then it not working. What I really should do is replace the whole exhaust to 2 1/2 from the cats back with the X pipe in place of the resonator but I dont know an exhaust shop that would charge me a reasonable price. Every exhaust place that I go to try to milk me. I paid 100 dollars to just put on the LMS mufflers so imagine if I had to replace the whole exhaust. BTW thank you Don for your input and sorry for wasting your time.
I don't mind I'm laid off so time I have. It just surprised me having been a member this long to have this questions. It just seems to me a what should I do with my exhaust question comes up once a month. Most shops will do a 2 1/4" exhaust much cheaper and I just don't see how there could be any real improvement with 2 1/2" pipes with the stock manifolds and cats. Look at how small the outlets and pipes you are leaving in there are and you will see why I say that. Just make sure they do not smash or kink the pipes. That would be the only reason I can see to go to 2 1/2" pipes again with the stock manifold and cats. So it would depend on the shops skill and equipment also. Since you have the mufflers what do you think is a reasonable price to remove the third cat, provide and install an X-Pipe and duels the rest of the way back and install your mufflers ???

Sapper I wish I lived close to you man....Don I understand what you mean...im getting the X pipe welded on im going to get a couple of estimates around town and ill go from there....thanks again.

So going to what Spree said. For a person who wants performance but quiet as stock, what are the options?

My brother did an true duel 2.5'', X-pipe with removing the third cat and resonator. The mufflers are suppose to be the quietest available (thrush turbo) and it is still too loud. No drone but still loud, not as loud as his flow-masters 40 were.

So my 97 base is stock, I was thinking about removing the resonator, third cat and replacing it with an X pipe. 2.5" pipes back to the stock mufflers. Anyone heard of anyone going to this route? And would this perform as good as my brothers exhaust?

So going to what Spree said. For a person who wants performance but quiet as stock, what are the options?

My brother did an true duel 2.5'', X-pipe with removing the third cat and resonator. The mufflers are suppose to be the quietest available (thrush turbo) and it is still too loud. No drone but still loud, not as loud as his flow-masters 40 were.

So my 97 base is stock, I was thinking about removing the resonator, third cat and replacing it with an X pipe. 2.5" pipes back to the stock mufflers. Anyone heard of anyone going to this route? And would this perform as good as my brothers exhaust?

My goodness another. If you want performance but fairly quiet go to SCP and get the Magnaflow X-Pipe resonator Duel in and out and then what ever mufflers you want in the back. That resonator is a X-pipe internally and barely cost more than a good X-Pipe. As far as pipe size look to my post a couple above.

Thrush Turbos are not quiet, and sound terrible. If you want it to stay quiet with a little bit of growl put some OEM 05 up Mustang mufflers on it. If you want quiet at idle and cruise and loud when you hammer on it give the Dynomax VT series a shot.

My goodness another. If you want performance but fairly quiet go to SCP and get the Magnaflow X-Pipe resonator Duel in and out and then what ever mufflers you want in the back. That resonator is a X-pipe internally and barely cost more than a good X-Pipe. As far as pipe size look to my post a couple above.

I have the mangaflow x-pipe resonator dual in/out along with mufflers from scp.
Now that being said, I don't like them. I get drone when it's under load around 1900 - 2100 rpm but not at highway speed.
I haven't changed it as I have a set of kooks to go on and will have no cats, I will do a x-pipe and x2 lobirds post on the 05 and up mustang mufflers. I like the borla mufflers laser had on his white one also. My concern at this point is flow, the mangaflow x isn't rated to flow what I need it to for the new motor. I doubt the mufflers are either.
You can get rid of the drone in just about any rpm range with a little work.

Dam! This is exactly what I was thinking. This set up should still be quite and perform better then stock. I may be the 1st one going with this set up. Already checked into it. Still trying to make up my mind though.

@lobird I want it quiet all around. Not going for sound at all, just wanna do it for performance increase. Now with my brothers setup, he gets no drone in his car but I can hear the exhaust sound from his mufflers.

Looks like 97markja gets drone with the mangaflow x-pipe, so I am gonna steer away from that one. Spree if you get this setup before me, let me know your thoughts. Good to know I am not the only one with that mind set.

Question...
The dual growling sounds from the infinity G series, is it due to the mufflers or factory exhaust piping?

@lobird I want it quiet all around. Not going for sound at all, just wanna do it for performance increase. Now with my brothers setup, he gets no drone in his car but I can hear the exhaust sound from his mufflers.

Looks like 97markja gets drone with the mangaflow x-pipe, so I am gonna steer away from that one. Spree if you get this setup before me, let me know your thoughts. Good to know I am not the only one with that mind set.

No, Your not looking at it right. If you use it and then add the mufflers of your choice in the rear it will be quieter than it would be with just an X-Pipe and your mufflers of choice. It is almost as cheap as a good X-Pipe. So it will make what ever muffles you pick to put in the rear quieter. I'm not saying for you to use just it.

If you want stock levels of quiet with more power, replace the factory resonator with the Magnaflow x and use the OEM 05 up Mustang mufflers at the rear.

Don I understand what you mean...im getting the X pipe welded on im going to get a couple of estimates around town and ill go from there....thanks again.

PS When you go to a shop do not call it a 3rd cat. Calling it a resonator may help because of it being illegal to remove a cat .

Members online

No members online now.
Back