Lincoln vs. Cadillac

Gothicaleigh

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
from The Car Connection

LINCOLN CHANGES DIRECTION, WON'T CHASE CADDY
"We don't have to be Cadillac," James Padilla, President of Ford Motor Co. North American Operations, in an interview after a press conference at the Chicago Auto Show. Padilla said the number-two automaker has launched an extensive review of future product plans for Lincoln, which has long been considered Ford's answer to Cadillac. But Padilla said Ford has had second thoughts about following Cadillac upscale. "We're looking at how we can get more synergy with Ford products," Padilla said. Lincoln will keep its sport-utility vehicles and continue to sell entry-level luxury cars and other luxury models that utilize the brand's traditional strengths as an American luxury brand but it won't follow Cadillac "north" with pricier models beyond roughly the $40,000 to $50,000 range. One sign of the change is that Ford has already killed plans for building a high-performance Lincoln LS with help from McLaren to compete with Cadillac's new V-Series CTS. Ford, however, also will look at building different kinds of vehicles for Lincoln. One candidate for future development is the Lincoln Navicross, which could utilize the platform developed for the Ford Freestyle activity vehicle, Padilla said. "But we haven't decided that yet." -Joe Szczesny

;)

That's too bad.:( I'd really like to see the designations "V12", "493HP", and "590lb/ft" on and AMERICAN luxury car. It's nice to know Caddy is doing SOMETHING about it, but I don't think Cadillac can do it alone. I hope Cadillac's high dollar vehicle fares better than their ALMS endeavor.

Kale

Interesting, I wonder if the Mark X will make production that's a hot car. :L

djKale said:
That's too bad.:( I'd really like to see the designations "V12", "493HP", and "590lb/ft" on and AMERICAN luxury car. It's nice to know Caddy is doing SOMETHING about it, but I don't think Cadillac can do it alone. I hope Cadillac's high dollar vehicle fares better than their ALMS endeavor.

Kale

High dollar vehicle? Just about everything Caddy makes is north of 40k. A well optioned CTS even runs that.

Cadillac has an Ultra Luxury Vehicle in development that will have a V12 under the hood (possibly even a V16 like the concept). Future versions of the CTS-V and STS-V will approach the 500hp mark too with TT Northstars and the LS7 in the works. The CTS-V already outperforms the M3 and M5, so it's safe to say that Cadillac has put american cars back on the map.

As for ALMS, it wasn't the disaster everyone makes it out to be. Did they win? No. But they also weren't serious enough about it for long enough to expect exciting results.

Of course, we are now taking the Speed GT class by storm with our CTS-Vs...
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?p=3587#post3587post3587

Last edited by a moderator:
Not going to follow cadillac huh? What about those ads saying they have information from cadillac ads about lincoln. Thats a stupid move, they might as well sell the lincoln star and just build mercurys. Lincolns belong in 30-70k range.

SELL THE DAMN DIVISION TOO ME AND ME AND MY ONLINE LINCOLN PALS WILL RUN IT YOU SPINLESS B@$$T@RDS.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry the subject really depresses me. Seeing my favorite marque take a dive cause ford is lazy. They need to change the company name from ford to Trucks and mustangs cause that is all they feel like doing right.

Now that Ford owns Jaguar, I believe they are concentrating on that as being their luxury sport brand. I believe Lincoln will remain a pure luxury brand.

Ford would be competing against itself if it were to put both in the same category.

:I Completely Excellent input. We all know ford is capable of making lincoln the great luxury marque it should be but that is wrapped up in the x type. All of the excellent ford engineering is now in the jag. Which will be my next tc. I drove an xjr the other day and it was excellent. (didnt drive it for long have you. Just pulled in the garage and around the building). When i graduate the xjr will be my towncar replacement because that is the towncar without the ride. (dont worry i will keep my tc's for weekends and classics)

From the August 2004 issue of Automobile:

Stayin' Alive
Lincoln Mercury reinvents itself. Again.

Now that Oldsmobile and Plymouth have hit the skids, there's a chill wind blowing under the doors of some Detroit car companies. That's why Lincoln Mercury wants everyone to know that it is still selling lots of cars and trucks and plans to sell more.

This fall, the Mercury Montego, a version of the Ford Five Hundred sedan, arrives. Next year, Mercury gets the Mariner SUV, a pricier version of the Escape, and a hybrid Mariner will appear as a 2007 model.

That's not much to reshape a company that still depends on the aged Grand Marquis for a substantial portion of it's sales. Mercury says the Montego and Mariner will help attract younger owners, but that's like hearing that your great-aunt is making plans to appear on American Idol.

There's also news from Lincoln. The four-door Mark LT pickup (previewed by the Detroit auto show concept) debuts next spring. The front-wheel-drive Zephyr is due for 2006 (awd will follow, along with a Mercury badged version), and the all-new Aviator crossover will appear as a 2007 model. Meanwhile, concept cars for the next Detroit show will signal plans to reintroduce the Continental and replace the geriatric Town Car.

All this is a far cry from the days when Lincoln Mercury moved to California to join the Premier Automotive Group.
Mercury aspired to performance, while Lincoln vowed to create a new interpretation of American Luxury. Now, Lincoln Mercury is back in Detroit, and the disappointing Mercury Marauder has vanished, along with the disappointing Lincoln concept cars (there were a lot of them, weren't there?). Once you cut through the marketing spin, it appears the company is wrapping it's arms around it's traditional owner body and sliding back into the past, when it made little more than Fords with extra chrome trim.

Lincoln Mercury always has had trouble with it's identity, wobbling among luxury, performance, and tradition. It will introduce no fewer than eleven new models in the next four years, but we're less sure than ever about what kind of company it really wants to be.
~Michael Jordan

Yep in typical GM tradition they put out cars with more hp and more models. Lincoln's new cars will make cadi scramble again for another three years to catch up. :headbang:

Eh, it's too difficult to "project" what are car company will do, or become. I am happy with the fact that both companies still exist, and that's enough for me.

from AutoWeek:

"Suppliers are expecting the demise of the existing rear-drive LS and Town Car in 2007 or 2008. It's unclear whether Ford will keep those nameplates for the Atlanta products.

It's also unclear whether the Zephyr and the two D3-based Lincolns will make up the entire Lincoln sedan lineup. If so, Lincoln largely would be abandoning the rear-drive segment even as luxury and mainstream brands such as Cadillac and Chrysler move back to rwd. But it is possible that Lincoln will continue to build the current Town Car on the 26-year-old rwd Panther platform, a Ford source said.

If the Atlanta plant eventually produces the three Lincoln sedans, it would displace the Wixom plant as the company's primary Lincoln sedan assembly plant. Wixom has been woefully underused in recent years and was reduced to one shift in 2002. In 2003, the plant produced 112,874 vehicles, less than half a typical plant in North America.

It assembles the current Lincoln LS and Town Car and the low-volume Ford Thunderbird and GT.

GT and Thunderbird production are expected to end after 2006.
"

full article:
http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?...=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=06803524

I'm still not putting too much faith into the most recent article. The Towncar is the meat-and-potatoes of Lincoln; I can't imagine they would be crazy enough to try and altogether reinvent it.

*shudder* lets not go there bro. We are all going to be used car drivers for a while if that happens. I dont see how ford can get rid of lincoln with the success of the 300c by chrysler and with the deville still floating around. Without limo companys ford will have no free advertising in lincoln and not much identitiy in the upper class limo situation.

Redesigned STS feeds Cadillac's momentum
By John McCormick / Autos Insider (from the Detroit News)
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. -- Are Detroit's luxury brands back in business?

"At Cadillac it certainly looks that way, with the launch of a series of successful new vehicles and strong sales growth.

Lincoln still desperately needs new product in its showrooms, but at least customers are happy with dealer service, according to a recent J.D. Power and Associates customer satisfaction survey, which put Ford Motor Co.'s luxury division in first place.

The same survey endorsed efforts to improve the dealer experience by Cadillac and Buick. Both General Motors Corp. brands scored ahead of Lexus, Toyota Motor Co.p.'s luxury offshoot that has long dominated the J.D. Power surveys.

And in the year-to-date sales race among luxury brands, Cadillac has pulled ahead of Mercedes-Benz, although it still trails Lexus and BMW.

Now Cadillac is keeping up the pressure with another new market entry, the STS. As the flagship of the Cadillac car line, the STS has been the brand's rival for top-drawer sedans from BMW, Mercedes and Lexus.

While the outgoing STS design still looked quite fresh and benefited from the strong Northstar V-8 powertrain, the car was handicapped by a number of factors.

Most problematic was its front wheel-drive chassis, which stood out like a sore thumb in a class dominated by more performance-orientated rear-drive platforms.

The 2005 STS, which enters showrooms late this year, is based on GM's Sigma architecture. This rear-wheel-drive/all-wheel-drive platform has already proved its worth as the foundation for Cadillac's popular CTS mid-luxury sedan and more recently the SRX sport utility vehicle. The model proliferation is part of GM's $5 billion bet to overhaul Cadillac.

All of the Sigma variations, including the new STS, are built at GM's Lansing Grand River plant, which has developed an excellent record for high quality output from day one. This bodes well for the '05 STS, which will be competing against the best of the best.

In fact, if the STS can gain a reputation for near flawless quality and dependability, it could become a significant advantage in a market segment where the traditional leaders, Mercedes and BMW, have run into customer dissatisfaction problems with their cars' overly complex technology.

This is not to imply the new STS is shying away from new technologies. The car has a long list of cutting edge features, from Delphi Corp.'s superb magnetic ride control to keyless access/push button start operation, not to mention a 'take-no-prisoners' Bose multichannel entertainment system.

"Now we have the legitimate hardware to go nose to nose with the competition," Jim Taylor, STS' savvy vehicle line executive, told me during a recent test drive of the new Cadillac. "But we make the technology easy to manage."

Looking at the STS in the bright California sunshine, the car's design is reminiscent of the CTS but its subtly softened lines have a more sophisticated air.

The driving experience is convincing, both in terms of performance from the 320- horsepower Northstar engine (and the optional 255-horsepower V-6) and the handling dynamics, which tread a pleasing middle ground between the overly aggressive German and overly sedate Japanese competition.

With the arrival of the STS, Cadillac is poised to accelerate its recent gains in the luxury car arena. Hopefully, it won't be too long before Lincoln can bring its version of American luxury to bear as well.
"

caddy is stepping up what can you say! caddy is pretty much saying "lets just make the american M5 and SL's for 20k less, and if no one buys it, at least we tried"! thats pretty much how i see cadillacs direction! Lincoln i hope they chop that Mark X and make a totally different car, and beef up the HP. dont get me wrong im not a hater, but i think the Mark X should not be based off of the T-bird sorry to say! my final word is Lincoln can do better! ford to me is focusing there money on ( in my eyes ) Mazda. Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Lincoln, ( but only for the SUV's like Navi, and Avi ). sorry if i sounded alil nuts, but thats my point of view!

Sifrino3 said:
All I want Lincoln to do is make another Mark Series!
I think that is every Mark owners dream. And it will probably remain just that: a dream, for a long time. :(

Members online

No members online now.
Back