Lincoln LS put down 322rwhp and 339 rwtq...

K

KBX

Well here is an update for you all. Just wanted to tie up the loose ends for some of you asking questions on, "What happened to Rocket's 12 second LS project?".

The dyno read low from baseline to the last run. The car is really putting down closer to 350rwhp and 365rwtq SAE in actual. Enjoy...

2005 Lincoln LS Dyno Video

LS Dyno Curves.JPG

Not bad at all. The 100 shot of nitrous seems to be quite a bit. I'm not an expert in N2O but how does that affect the internals? I'm assuming you can't use it all the time but giving it increase HP by over 100 HP is impressive.

Very nice - glad to see the number!

and I take it KBX is you Rocket?

curious why the "curlycues" in the baseline run.... never seen that before... how did you pull timing out?

:edit: double post - sorry - somehow my post ended up before yours...

Quik LS said:
:edit: double post - sorry - somehow my post ended up before yours...

To give an update on the project. I dont plan to post here at all. I will come in and answer this thread if tech questions arise, but the rest of the site I dont plan to have anything to do with. I would go into detail, but I would rather not to have the whiners come out of the woodworks.

Hope the S/C project is going well for you.

fordtechguru said:
curious why the "curlycues" in the baseline run.... never seen that before... how did you pull timing out?

The dyno operator (monkey) pushed the log button before he punched the gas and the TC unlocked for a millisecond and then relocked. That is what it looks like on a dyno graph. Once the TC unlocks and then starts to relock the power spikes and then the rpms start to go down a bit due to the load being put back on the drivetrain.

Pulled timing with an Xcal2. Pulled 3 degree's from 3000 rpms on up.

Also, the reason why the graph is somewhat wavy till 5,000 rpm's has to do with the progressive controller. Nitrous solenoids only have full open and full closed functionality so to get 50% power out of them and ramp it up the controller pulses them at 14 times/second (14hz) or however often is desired for them to be pulsed at. How long the solenoids are left open between the pulses depends on the percentage of power wanted. Very similar to adjusting pulsewidth on a cars injectors in a fuel injection system. The progressive controllers have a hard time in the middle between minimum and max power so that is why the waviness is there till 5,000 where its programmed to hit full 100% power.

cool, thanx for the update.... does the dynojet allow quarter mile runs like our md-1650 ?? if so what did it show?? i would love to take a blast under the "squeeze" just to feel the difference....lol

fordtechguru said:
cool, thanx for the update.... does the dynojet allow quarter mile runs like our md-1650 ?? if so what did it show?? i would love to take a blast under the "squeeze" just to feel the difference....lol

Not that one. While the dyno run simulated 1/4 mile would be fun, there is no replacement for the real thing. Any 1/4 I ran in the dyno I would not count as a real ET anyways.

When blasting down the track with the 100 shot it gets exciting pretty quick. I reprogrammed it to be activated at 3,200 RPMs with 25% of the shot and then ramps to full 100% shot at 4,000 RPMS. When I launch I usually chirp a little and then when the engine hits 3,200 the nitrous kicks in and it starts squealing up to about 3,600. Once the tires get traction then the car pulls like a freight train all the way to the 1320' marker. It will push you into the seat pretty firmly. I really need DR's and a locker!

who tuned the car?

not to sound like a jerk, but that isn't exactly the smoothest incline I've seen and the Air Fuel is a little wacked. It's safe being less than 12.0, but it's still all over the place.

other than ILLS and 02lse, have any other attempts been made to increase traction? It seems everyone that is spraying cannot hookup whatsoever. Alot of power and little traction is not a good combination for 1/4 mile racing.

other than ILLS and 02lse, have any other attempts been made to increase traction? It seems everyone that is spraying cannot hookup whatsoever. Alot of power and little traction is not a good combination for 1/4 mile racing.

I know I will be. I'm going to shoot for the first 10 second V6 Lincoln LS that is still a street car.

SO traction is going to be a big thing. I don't know how long this may take, but that is my goal. It's easy to do it with a mustang. I wanted to try something different. So I made it twice as hard. First I went with the LS instead of the Mark VIII then I got a V6 on top of it. I like a challenge.

who tuned the car?

not to sound like a jerk, but that isn't exactly the smoothest incline I've seen and the Air Fuel is a little wacked. It's safe being less than 12.0, but it's still all over the place.

I tuned the car. The reason the A/F's were all over the place is because the way the progressive controller ramped the nitrous/fuel shot. If I raised the HZ (pulse rate) of the solenoids then the power and A/F's would have smoothed out a little bit but then you run into issues of the solenoids having a larger propensity to crap out. Just the way the progressive controllers work with nitrous.

Just curious, but have you ever built a streetable 10 second car before? It isn't cheap or easy. Good luck with it, but I think that your eye's might be bigger than your stomache on that one. I vouch from personal experience that it is not easy to put a vehicle into the 10's, let alone one in the LS's situation.

Heavy car
Low initial power
Drivetrain would need totally replaced
Engine rebuilt to take high boost
Rear end would need replaced
yadda yadda yadda...

Unless you do your own work, or a majority of it, the bill will be insane. Heck, even when you do your own work it gets insanely expensive. If I were you I would shoot for maybe 12's, then once you go there think of another ET goal and go from there. I do not think you realize what it takes to run that kind of ET in streetable form with a car like this. More power to ya if you try though. I like do'ers one hell of allot more than talkers. ;)

Just curious, but have you ever built a streetable 10 second car before? It isn't cheap or easy. Good luck with it, but I think that your eye's might be bigger than your stomache on that one. I vouch from personal experience that it is not easy to put a vehicle into the 10's, let alone one in the LS's situation.

Heavy car
Low initial power
Drivetrain would need totally replaced
Engine rebuilt to take high boost
Rear end would need replaced
yadda yadda yadda...

Unless you do your own work, or a majority of it, the bill will be insane. Heck, even when you do your own work it gets insanely expensive. If I were you I would shoot for maybe 12's, then once you go there think of another ET goal and go from there. I do not think you realize what it takes to run that kind of ET in streetable form with a car like this. More power to ya if you try though. I like do'ers one hell of allot more than talkers. ;)

Yeah. I've owned and built a few mustangs in the 10 second and faster range as well as a Grand National that was in the 11 second range.

I've been racing in NMRA for the past 3 years.

Yeah. I've owned and built a few mustangs in the 10 second and faster range as well as a Grand National that was in the 11 second range.

I've been racing in NMRA for the past 3 years.

Good stuff. I am glad to see another person on here that actually does a little wrenching on their vehicles. ;) As a gearhead and performance shop owner I must mention that if you want to hit 10's in a V6 LS while keeping it streetable and I assume non-gutted interior then you have a little bit of a hill to climb. Relatively speaking, it is easy to drop a Mustang into the 10 second zone if you just gut it, throw a big engine and a blower or shot of nitrous on it and so on. Heck, you can do a Fox Mustang into the 10's for dirt cheap on a budget build. It gets trickier when you do not have the luxury of throwing it all out and starting fresh or buildinng off an already established platform. As you know the Mustangs have a much much larger aftermarket than the LS does. That means custom fabrication and lots of it for anything and everything you do. I tend to specialize in building sleeper vehicles and it is a totally different ballgame then building a full on drag car; with the sleeper being much more difficult.

What are your plans for the LS then? Keeping the V6 and building the bottom end? What transmission? Keeping IRS or swapping to custom 4 link solid rear?

What class in NMRA do you race in? Good to see another Mustanger and gearhead around here.

ILLS,
Is your LS dif still in the works?

Yes it is. Jason and I will be working on his here shortly. He was waiting to get his driveshaft, which he has since received. He has a few more small items to get before we do the swap. I am still concentrating on the turbocharger so my swap will likely happen either this winter or probably next spring. I have a much larger and much much more important shop project coming up this winter that I need to start getting ready for after I put the final touches on the LS Turbo which is why my LSD swap will not happen till next season. Jason will be bringing his car down to me where we will perform the swap within time to get a few runs in by the end of this racing season.

Members online

No members online now.
Back