Lincoln LS Limited Slip Differential bolt-in...

lincolnfam

LVC Member
Reaction score
I heard rumors that a Quaife QDF3W lsd for the jag S type R works since I believe 03+ STR shares the housing with gen 2 LS? I stopped doing research. a bit pricey but less work if it fit.

Todd Lang

LVC Member
Reaction score
Gary the parts cost will only consist of a Limited slip differential of your choice and that is it. You reuse your stock CV shafts (axles), stock carrier, and stock ring & pinion gears as well as the shims (if they are in good condition). For a somewhat skilled home mechanic the swap will probably take no longer than 2 hours while screwing around.

The LS diff is 28 spline and the Mark VIII diff's are 28 spline. The 99-01 Cobra's use a 28 spline 8.8" diff too. Stock gearset will be reused unless you are want to swap up to the Gen 2 LS 3.58's. Stock driveshaft reused.

Hello. New member here I have a 2001 LS V8. This is an amazing find I been looking to eliminate my one wheel peel lol. Can you please tell me what year and model fords I can scavage the correct carrier from? Thanks in advance for your reply

smegun

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
cool I want one got any manufacturers nums got the 2002 sport this seems more sensible ... too much water and sand in my neck of the woods would like more control especially when the fuel system is temperamental on the floor

04_Sport_LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Todd and smegun,

You have the luck of owning a Gen 1 LS. The housing is slightly different from the Gen 2... and the Gen 1 will accept an 8.8 posi unit allowing it to pretty much drop right in the housing... allowing you to use the factory gear set.

I don't remember the details... other than the 8.8 posi had to be the 28 spline version, (like from a Mustang)... to match the axles of the LS.

You might want to dig around in the "LS performance" section of this forum... and maybe contact member "Quik LS" or "Cammer FE", (if they are still around), for more details.

04_Sport_LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I went back and started re-reading this thread. You got your answers in the first 4 posts.

So the short answer is that any 28 spline 8.8 limited slip will work in the Gen 1 LS. You just re-use the original ring gear that was in the open diff.

The set up, installation, and adjustment can be a bit tricky... so if you have never done this type of work before, you may want to have a professional do it. Otherwise you could grenade the rear end. If that would happen at high speed... the results could be fatal.

Todd Lang

LVC Member
Reaction score
I went back and started re-reading this thread. You got your answers in the first 4 posts.

So the short answer is that any 28 spline 8.8 limited slip will work in the Gen 1 LS. You just re-use the original ring gear that was in the open diff.

The set up, installation, and adjustment can be a bit tricky... so if you have never done this type of work before, you may want to have a professional do it. Otherwise you could grenade the rear end. If that would happen at high speed... the results could be fatal.
Yea I get that. I have done 60 or 70 rear ends in my 32 years as a tech
Just never mix and matched parts
I am not sure how I missed it sorry about that. Didn’t mean to waste your time I will read again from the beginning

Todd Lang

LVC Member
Reaction score
So it has to come from a mark 8 or 97-01 cobra? Any 8.8 won’t do? Previously in the post it says 8.8 of your choose but then mentions mark 8 or 97-01 cobra.

Todd Lang

LVC Member
Reaction score
Sorry 99-01 I mean I scored an 8.8 from an explorer and got 28 spline lsd side gears to change out the ones in the explorer that are 31 spline is this a viable option? Thanks again

04_Sport_LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that the diff tag will have an "L" in the ratio number... such as 3L55 or 3.55L . You will still want to use the ring gear from your original diff. That should be either 3.31 or 3.58 .

Todd Lang

LVC Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that the diff tag will have an "L" in the ratio number... such as 3L55 or 3.55L . You will still want to use the ring gear from your original diff. That should be either 3.31 or 3.58 .
Cool cool. Thank you!

smegun

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Todd and smegun,

You have the luck of owning a Gen 1 LS. The housing is slightly different from the Gen 2... and the Gen 1 will accept an 8.8 posi unit allowing it to pretty much drop right in the housing... allowing you to use the factory gear set.

I don't remember the details... other than the 8.8 posi had to be the 28 spline version, (like from a Mustang)... to match the axles of the LS.

You might want to dig around in the "LS performance" section of this forum... and maybe contact member "Quik LS" or "Cammer FE", (if they are still around), for more details.

thought we were talking about an lsd a posi rear now were really talking does it have enough torque for these ? he ha

Todd Lang

LVC Member
Reaction score
thought we were talking about an lsd a posi rear now were really talking does it have enough torque for these ? he ha

we will find out maybe I will post a video of doing a posi burnout when I get it done haha

gips

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
i am new here. Been reading for a while and most stuff is written already, so i didn't think i need to ask anything , but it seems in the end i need to :). I own an LS from 2000 its kinds EU spec as i am located in Europe and the speedometer bigger numbers are in KM/h but basically its completely US car. Its a new car for me and its in perfect condition , but i have the problem with the inner tire spinning , when riding aggressively or drifting :) so i went through the thread and it looks like i need an 8.8inch differential which would basically bolt directly to the crown of the existing one. I have the following two questions will any of those two fit ? And also how noisy is the Posi clutch type one ? If its very noisy i will probably consider the Eaton helical one, if of course it fits .

oddball

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
With a clutch posi you might hear some grinding/popping while making slow turns, like in a parking lot. That's why that type of unit needs the special oil additive - the additive reduces the noise.
I would assume either of those would fit, but I don't know for sure.

Members online

No members online now.