Lincoln LS /eclipse 5435 install wiring questions..radio

immusicman

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok. I am looking to install an eclipse AVN 5435 in my 2002 lincoln LS. Before I start, I would like someone who has done this installation or any aftermarket information to shed some light on the wiring issues. Can this unit be installed and keep the factory speakers and amplification? According to my schematic, it shows 4 main speakers being powered directly from the headunit..then a subwoofer amp for the subs and a center imaging amp for center speakers. Is it possible to use ALL of the original amps and speakers? If so, what is involved in doing that? Also, on the schematic of the original system, the wires to the speakers are shown without a + or - so how do we determine which way to phase the speaker to the headunit? Any information from anyone that knows about this would be most helpful. I know I can handle the install, just want details before I start. Thanks!

Easiest way is to get the plug from a local stereo install shop and plug it into the factory plug and follow the wires from the new plug IE the speakers will be green+ green and black- grey+ grey and black- white+ white and black - purple+ purple and black - so that will give you the speaker wires as far as I understand All of the factory stuff will still work (mine still does atleast I have a Audiovox indash and the front speakers I put new ones in and ran them to an amp so my rear are still factory and they sound just like the day i purchase the car good luck and post some pics of the setup

immusicman said:
Ok. I am looking to install an eclipse AVN 5435 in my 2002 lincoln LS. Before I start, I would like someone who has done this installation or any aftermarket information to shed some light on the wiring issues. Can this unit be installed and keep the factory speakers and amplification? According to my schematic, it shows 4 main speakers being powered directly from the headunit..then a subwoofer amp for the subs and a center imaging amp for center speakers. Is it possible to use ALL of the original amps and speakers? If so, what is involved in doing that? Also, on the schematic of the original system, the wires to the speakers are shown without a + or - so how do we determine which way to phase the speaker to the headunit? Any information from anyone that knows about this would be most helpful. I know I can handle the install, just want details before I start. Thanks!

Immusicman,

I might be able to shed a little light on this subject for you, as I do this for a living. First off the AVN-5435 is a double DIN radio and will not fit. The max size radio is a 1.5, and since there are very few 1.5 din radio’s I would suggest looking for a single din radio (99% of all radios are single din). There are many single din radios that are flip out screens, Kenwood, Alpine and Pioneer are just a few good ones. Scosche and Metra make an adapter kit for the aftermarket single din radios and installation is quite straight forward as far as installing the actual unit. You can obtain a Ford Premium Harness at any stereo shop; it will have 3 harnesses in the package. There will be a large harness with all the speakers, power, ground, illumination and remote turn on wires, a harness with a power antenna and a (mute – not used) and another harness for the subs. The sub harness has white and grey wires along with a remote turn on wire. You can hook both whites and grays together in both harnesses, then splice them into the same wires that come from the new source unit you bought. It is rather straight forward. As for knowing what is + and -, the wires in the harness (the ford premium and the source unit harness) with a black stripe are always negative. So when you are done wiring all 3 new ford premium harnesses to the new source unit wiring harness, all colors should match up, if something does not match (say a red hooked to a black – very bad) you probably did it wrong and will blow a fuse………..or worse. So make sure they all match and you will be good to rock! Wire up everything THEN plug it into the car, that way you are not wiring up live wires and NEVER cut the car harness……NEVER.
Any more questions hit me up anytime. Here are a few pics to help out

Removal Instructions
*Note* remove all CDs from in dash changer before installation. Do not tilt, drop or bump in dash CD changer as major failure will occur.

Pry out AC vents and disconnect harness
Pull out rear center AC vents
Pull up on the rear of the center console and pull away
Disconnect any harnesses
Remove wood grain around ash tray CAREFULLY, it just snaps out
Remove two bolts holding in ash tray and remove ash tray, disconnect any harnesses
Remove 4 bolts securing radio and remove. Disconnect all harnesses

Jeremiah

lnlss00dash01.jpg

lnlss00dash02.jpg

lnlss00dash03.jpg

I hate to burst you bubble Phazer1000 but The radio is a double din and it will fit a double din. How long have you been doing this? Here is my install of that exact radio.
Let me know if you got any questions.
truckcopy.gif

The Heckler,

Wow, great install! I was not aware that someone make a double din kit for the LS. I know that it is large enough for a double din, I just did not know that there was a kit for it! Let us know where you got that kit because now my interest are sparked for a double din indash!

Jeremiah

Unfortunatly the kit has to be made using the stock radio faceplate. I wish I could have bought the kit to save me the work.

The Heckler said:
Unfortunatly the kit has to be made using the stock radio faceplate. I wish I could have bought the kit to save me the work.

I ordered the kit for the LS about 3 days ago as we don't stock it in house due to the lack of demand, so it should arrive shortly. It is only for a single din, with a pocket, but i am going to see if i can fabricate a double din radio in it. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Jeremiah

Heckler you should start making them and selling them. I would sure as hell buy one from you. I really want to install that unit but I really can't make anything like that.

Thanks Jerimiah

Phazer1000 said:
Immusicman,

There will be a large harness with all the speakers, power, ground, illumination and remote turn on wires, a harness with a power antenna and a (mute – not used) and another harness for the subs. The sub harness has white and grey wires along with a remote turn on wire. You can hook both whites and grays together in both harnesses, then splice them into the same wires that come from the new source unit you bought. It is rather straight forward. As for knowing what is + and -, the wires in the harness (the ford premium and the source unit harness) with a black stripe are always negative. So when you are done wiring all 3 new ford premium harnesses to the new source unit wiring harness, all colors should match up, if something does not match (say a red hooked to a black – very bad) you probably did it wrong and will blow a fuse………..or worse. So make sure they all match and you will be good to rock! Wire up everything THEN plug it into the car, that way you are not wiring up live wires and NEVER cut the car harness……NEVER.

THANKS FOR THE HELP. MY QUESTION IS THIS..WILL THE CENTER IMAGING AMP AND SPEAKERS STILL BE USED? I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYONE MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT THIS AMP AND SPEAKERS. APPARENTLY, THE 4 SPEAKERS WILL WIRE DIRECTLY TO THE HEAD UNIT AND THE SUB AMP TO THE HEADUNIT, WHAT ABOUT THE OTHERS? ALSO, COULD YOU PLEASE GIVE ME PART NUMBERS TO THE WIRING HARNESS KIT AND TELL ME WHERE I CAN PURCHASE IT ONLINE? I CALLED AROUND HERE TODAY AND APPARENTLY I LIVE AROUND A BUNCH OF PEOPLE THAT DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE HARNESSES. THEY TOLD ME TO TAKE MY OLD RADIO OUT AND BRING IT IN AND THEY WOULD TRY TO MATCH IT UP.. I AIN'T KOOL WITH THAT AT ALL. IF YOU COULD GET ME THE NUMBERS OR SEND ME A LINK FROM SOMEWHERE ONLINE, I COULD ORDER IT RIGHT AWAY. THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR HELP. JOHN

immusicman said:
Phazer1000 said:
Immusicman,

There will be a large harness with all the speakers, power, ground, illumination and remote turn on wires, a harness with a power antenna and a (mute – not used) and another harness for the subs. The sub harness has white and grey wires along with a remote turn on wire. You can hook both whites and grays together in both harnesses, then splice them into the same wires that come from the new source unit you bought. It is rather straight forward. As for knowing what is + and -, the wires in the harness (the ford premium and the source unit harness) with a black stripe are always negative. So when you are done wiring all 3 new ford premium harnesses to the new source unit wiring harness, all colors should match up, if something does not match (say a red hooked to a black – very bad) you probably did it wrong and will blow a fuse………..or worse. So make sure they all match and you will be good to rock! Wire up everything THEN plug it into the car, that way you are not wiring up live wires and NEVER cut the car harness……NEVER.

THANKS FOR THE HELP. MY QUESTION IS THIS..WILL THE CENTER IMAGING AMP AND SPEAKERS STILL BE USED? I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYONE MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT THIS AMP AND SPEAKERS. APPARENTLY, THE 4 SPEAKERS WILL WIRE DIRECTLY TO THE HEAD UNIT AND THE SUB AMP TO THE HEADUNIT, WHAT ABOUT THE OTHERS? ALSO, COULD YOU PLEASE GIVE ME PART NUMBERS TO THE WIRING HARNESS KIT AND TELL ME WHERE I CAN PURCHASE IT ONLINE? I CALLED AROUND HERE TODAY AND APPARENTLY I LIVE AROUND A BUNCH OF PEOPLE THAT DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE HARNESSES. THEY TOLD ME TO TAKE MY OLD RADIO OUT AND BRING IT IN AND THEY WOULD TRY TO MATCH IT UP.. I AIN'T KOOL WITH THAT AT ALL. IF YOU COULD GET ME THE NUMBERS OR SEND ME A LINK FROM SOMEWHERE ONLINE, I COULD ORDER IT RIGHT AWAY. THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR HELP. JOHN

Immusicman,

The harness is available at any Circuit City or Best Buy, I will get the part number today for you and take a pic of the harness. As far as the center imaging spearkers and amp, i am not totaly sure myself. I have never done a LS before, but I took out the radio a few days ago to check the harness. I will check out tech docs today, (it should be a slow day cuz of bad weather, and its a wensday) and i will let you know. I can't wait untill the kit comes!! I am looking into the Kenwood DDX 7017 or if i can't get it to fit the Kenwood KVT-717. The kit is made by scosche and has to be ordered. No one stocks this kit because demand is very low for aftermarket radios in LS's. I just ordered the kit at work, I will get the part numbers for ya.

Jeremiah

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate the fact that you are going out of your way to get me the information. It sure makes it easier. The kit you spoke of, are you speaking of an installation kit for Double din? I was going to fabricate my front..but if there is a kit..I would rather have that. Have a good day. john

Some one posted specs for the Eclipse stating the dvd wouldn't function while
in motion. Is this correct??? If so is there a code to bypass this or something to trick it into thinking the car is not in motion. How does it Know? gps? Magic?
Also are there video outputs to run some rear monitors?

LSinOKC said:
Some one posted specs for the Eclipse stating the dvd wouldn't function while
in motion. Is this correct??? If so is there a code to bypass this or something to trick it into thinking the car is not in motion. How does it Know? gps? Magic?
Also are there video outputs to run some rear monitors?

I got the kit today and it looks good, although it has a textured surface and the rest of the trim is smooth so it may look a little funny. I have a few pics to help explain some items. In one or two of the pics you can see the cage for the double din radio next to the kit. You will notice that it is as large if not a hair bigger then the kit. I believe that you may have to use a combination of the original factory brackets and the new kit as a face plate to make a double din radio fit, thus eliminating the cage.
As for not playing DVDs while driving, that is correct. The player either looks for an e-brake ground (e-brake must be on to watch movies) and or it may have to be hooked into the vehicle speed sensor. Some times it is a combo of both, either way it is a pretty steep fine if you get caught driving and watching a movie. Most radios of this nature have video outputs to run extra monitors.

Jeremiah

IMG_1731_1.JPG

IMG_1732_1.JPG

IMG_1733_1.JPG

IMG_1734_1.JPG

IMG_1735_1.JPG

IMG_1737_1.JPG

IMG_1739_1.JPG

IMG_1740_1.JPG

IMG_1741_1.JPG

IMG_1742_1.JPG

IMG_1748_1.JPG

Eclipse need a grounded wire thats all the pioneer has to be hooked up correctly to function right it uses a combination ways to make sure you did not try to bypass it. In my opinion DONT BYPASS IT. It is way to dangerous to you and other people on the road. Not to mention the crazy fines.

Steering wheel controls

Thanks for all the help guys. I know that pac makes an infrared controller designed to allow you to use your existing steering wheel controls..i.e. volume, etc. According to what I have read, you will have to have a remote control for your headunit to program the controller. The AVN5495 by eclipse, doesn't come with it. It says in the promo, it is optional..and nobody seems to know where to get it or how much is it? Any ideas? Thanks. P.S. what did you do heckler?

remote

Heckler, can you check and see if you have the rc105 remote? I don't know if the 5435 remote will work with the 5495 or not. RC105 is the model for the 5495. I would like to find a used one to buy. I only need it long enough to program my steering wheel buttons. thanks.

Members online

No members online now.
Back