lincoln ls 4.6 swap

tom-ls

LVC Member
Reaction score
hey everyone i was just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of 4.6 swap threads i was reading one a few months ago and wanted to pm the guy who was doing it cause once my transmission finishes itself off i dont plan on fixing it as ive put too much money into the car already and my friend has a 4r70 transmission and a sohc 4.6 from a crown vic laying around who would sell it to me for cheap, i do realize all the issues ill be running into and such but i just wanna know if anyone can link me the threads as i cant seem to find them, id rather put reliable stuff in my car then fixing a garbage transmission and spending more then the whole swap will cost.

Can i ask why you want to downgrade and put sohc 4.6 in your car?

You plan on modding it? Is that it?

Well an SOHC motor could be built up to outperform the stock engine easily.

But i agree if i were going through the trouble id try to find a marauder/mach1/aviator block. Could even just use a mark VIII engine.

yeah as said above it could quickly out preform the 3.9 as theres actual parts for it, also id be losing 2hp from the crank and adding an extra 50ftlbs to the crank. only reason for this is cause my transmission is gunna die soon and dont wanna waste money on a unreliable transmission, and my friend has a engine and transmission not being used so why not.

Just make sure you don't have e-check and if you do make sure the engine is out of a model year equal or newer than your LS or you will have the EPA and locals up your ass and may impound the car. If you don't have local e check you should be "okay" but check local ordinances. Would be a shame to do all that work and have the car impounded. And the motor can be put in but you may have to run a stand alone PCM and such. Not sure one is offered for the 4.6 you may also look into a 302 one of the member has one in his LS and working. They are also all over and relatively in expensive when found used

so let me get this right, because your transmission is failing, you would rather attempt to replace it with a vic's 4.6 and four speed because it will be easier/better/cheaper than just fixing the failing part on the car?

Hite, comment, please, on the Al degas bottle. I was thinking to fab one, but have not, yet, so I'm a natural customer!!

KS

You think the transmission is failing? It could be a cheap fix if you address the issue now instead of waiting for something catastrophic to happen.

so let me get this right, because your transmission is failing, you would rather attempt to replace it with a vic's 4.6 and four speed because it will be easier/better/cheaper than just fixing the failing part on the car?

My thoughts exactly.

You are spending more money to down grade if you ask me. A lot more work too. Fix the transmission. If you are going to do a swap, at least let it be a DOHC and a 5-6 speed manual.

Its only a downgrade if the engine is left stock.

well since the OP is doing this cause of "low cost" i dont see a lot of super power adders in the future that world make this anywhere near an upgrade or a good ideal.

He will still have the electronics issue......

Also, what year? V6 or V8?

Yeah, I can't see anyway that this "lost cost fix" won't cost way more than just correctly fixing whatever the current issue is. Also, I don't see these transmissions as "garbage." They could certainly be better, but many make it to well over 100K miles without serious issues.

Yeah, I can't see anyway that this "lost cost fix" won't cost way more than just correctly fixing whatever the current issue is. Also, I don't see these transmissions as "garbage." They could certainly be better, but many make it to well over 100K miles without serious issues.

+1

The tranny in the LS is twice the transmission in those Vics/towncars.

yeah i know ill have the electronics issue. and i would plan on jmodding the 4r70w so its not a slow shifting heap. im just angry at the transmission because i put alot of work into the engine, and the transmission is now on the way out and it only has 181k kms so ~112468 miles also its a pi engine so its not going to lose any power really.

yeah i know ill have the electronics issue. and i would plan on jmodding the 4r70w so its not a slow shifting heap. im just angry at the transmission because i put alot of work into the engine, and the transmission is now on the way out and it only has 181k kms so ~112468 miles also its a pi engine so its not going to lose any power really.

Have you seen mikeyswood's transmission rebuild thread?

Have you seen mikeyswood's transmission rebuild thread?

+1

Tom, if you have the skill for the motor swap, that rebuild will be a piece of cake for you. Of course, the motor swap might fall into the category of "cool project", if that's part of what you're after.

Members online

Back