Lincoln FWD

68torino

LVC Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are considering three cars to choose from when we purchase one next year. So I'm researching now. The three we are looking at are Lincoln Continental or Towncar, Crown Vic or T-bird. I have been researching in the '92-'95 range. They run fairly close on price via Edmunds and mileage is reasonably close to each other. My main question is on the FWD Lincolns how well do the driveshafts\CV joints hold up? And how much of a cost\pain is it to redo them?
I'm more of a RWD man but currently own an '88 F250 HD 4X4 and a '91 Aerostar AWD. We will be swapping out the Aero for a car to get a better return on mileage.

I used to pwn a '73 IV that was black, black vinyl top and black leather interior. Gads I miss that beast.

the Lincoln Continental is the only FWD you mentioned.

Also - the cars you are thinking of are not exactly the top of the fuel efficiency heap.

What about the Mark VIII?

Towncar is a dressed up Crown Vic -

Mark VIII is a dressed up T-Bird

I would go either town car or mark viii -- they both have strong and durable engines, minimal problems overall.

68torino said:
My wife and I are considering three cars to choose from when we purchase one next year. So I'm researching now. The three we are looking at are Lincoln Continental or Towncar, Crown Vic or T-bird. I have been researching in the '92-'95 range. They run fairly close on price via Edmunds and mileage is reasonably close to each other. My main question is on the FWD Lincolns how well do the driveshafts\CV joints hold up? And how much of a cost\pain is it to redo them?
I'm more of a RWD man but currently own an '88 F250 HD 4X4 and a '91 Aerostar AWD. We will be swapping out the Aero for a car to get a better return on mileage.

I used to pwn a '73 IV that was black, black vinyl top and black leather interior. Gads I miss that beast.

As someone who has had a '94 Conti and T-bird (at the same time) I would go for the RWD Lincolns from that '92-95 era myself. I will tell you why,
The Continental was a fairly reliable car. However, the 3.8 V-6 is very prone to blow it's head gaskets.(I didn't have that problem, but.....) My problem was the oil pump going out every 6 months, the suspension parts aren't too pricey but the Air ride system replacement is extorbitantly expensive to replace for the Conti.(Cheapest is to retrofit shocks on it $12-1500.) My Conti was actually one of the "good" ones.WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Do Not Get a '94-95 Thunderbird! They are amongst the most problematic cars on the road! The 18 months I had owned one, I had put about $15K in repairs in this vehicle!(No Joke!) Two engines (the V-8 @ $5.5K per job), a transmission (@ $2.5k), the ENTIRE brake system (@ $1200) When I bought this car, it was 6 years old and had only 60K on the clock. I've also heard other nightmare stories about other '94-95 T-birds from other owners.STAY AWAY FROM THESE YEAR T-BIRDS!!!! Stick with the Town Car or MK VIII or even Mercury Grand Marq/ Cougar - Ford Crown Vic. ( I know Cougars are the same as the T-birds but they don't seem to have the same problems). Good Luck!

Thanks for the input. My son has a '90 T-bird that had the heads redone about 5,000 before he bought it and the trans rebuilt about 2,000 before. It has the 3.8L. We have put around 15,000 on it since he got it and so far so good. Also my Aero has the 4.2L which is prone to the coolant problem like the 3.8, hence why I want to swap it out before it has a problem. Now I have some info to go on when we start looking.
But my baby for now is my '88 F250 HD. Man I love that truck.
Oh and about the mileage...my truck sits at 12-14 mpg and my van sits at 16-18. Anything I've read so far puts the T-bird, Lincolns, Vics around 22-28 mpg. Which would be a big stepup for us. What we would drive will be doing a 90 mile per day commute 5 days a week, with some weekends doing another 90 to 250 miles. Nothing like having a great road car that returns fair mileage.

man, 22 mpg? my 1999 Grand Am GT doesn't even get that. Then again, it's all modded, but wow, I'd love to get 22 mpg outta that. I just didn't realize these massive cars were getting that good of gas mileage.

My lincoln (1983) is too new for me, so I haven't neem able to do the math yet on milage.

Good luck on your search. I know we all research our vehicles these days, but as an auto tech, I can tell you that any car you get will have problems. And if you buy previously enjoyed, it's unfortunate, but it's a bigger gamble.

I would definetly stay away from front wheel drive continentals. Buy a 95' Towncar. The air ride in continentals are junk.

darkravenchild said:
man, 22 mpg? my 1999 Grand Am GT doesn't even get that. Then again, it's all modded, but wow, I'd love to get 22 mpg outta that. I just didn't realize these massive cars were getting that good of gas mileage.

Believe it. I had a '97 Crown Vic Lx that Averaged about 26mpg combined.(22 city/31 hwy)(Take that Camry/Accord a$$'oles! and proving it pi$$#d them off too!)
This is actually a great answer to the above question , economical, roomy, durable,wicked cheap to maintain, LOW INSURANCE!!!!!!Actually a really great car. (get a lo-mile car though, they have a tendancy to peter-out @170-200K mi's) ( A lo-mile car should go for 3-6K pending what you're looking for.)
1995-97 Crown Vics/ Grand Marquises that is......like the Town Cars these are the best-made years.

I loved my Crown Vic. Easy to fix, never broke down, never left me stranded, or pissed me off. Cheap to fix as well. Get the HPP version; air ride, 3:27, dual exhaust, and tough-as-nails suspension- dirt cheap!

evillally said:
I loved my Crown Vic. Easy to fix, never broke down, never left me stranded, or pissed me off. Cheap to fix as well. Get the HPP version; air ride, 3:27, dual exhaust, and tough-as-nails suspension- dirt cheap!

The LEO Crown Vics were a PI model if I remember right. Which is what my son has, trans developed a leak up by the TC so he got a new TC to put in and found the front bearing area had been JBed when he pulled it. As he is just getting started he has to wait a bit to get a rebuilt. I did get to drive it and for a 'low' torque motor (4.6L) it hauled coals great. What we choose will be dependant on what's available where we shop. But I want to get some luxo instead of a spartan goverment interior.
Now if I could get a T- bird or Cougar with a T5 that would be sweet! I love a stick and even though they can go south they don't cost $1200 to $1800 to rebuild. Usually just a clutch at around $125 - $180.
To bad the VIII did not option a stick, man that would be fun.

Speaking from someone who used to work on these things day in and day out......buy a Town Car or Mark VIII. The Town Car is pretty much the "last of the rough riders" in my opinion. The Mark VIII is a little more expensive to maintain, but overall a good car.

The 88-94 Conti's have problems with....Head gaskets, power steering lines, motor mounts, air suspension........

I will admit that I didn't care for the seats in the Crown Vic, they were quite flat and uncomfortable, but the "leather" seats are much more supportive to the hips and lower body than the cloth seats. The Grand Marquis is a viable, literal go-between and is just as comfortable as the Town Car. This is just a suggestion if a Town Car is hard to find where you are at. Town Cars are great too, don't get me wrong....I'm madly in love with mine.

Members online

Back